Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Power Valve Inspection Question (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25974)

Topjimmyk 09-16-2022 10:55 AM

Power Valve Inspection Question

Hey all! I just bought a 2001 300 ec. Which runs and starts great. Rode it all labor day weekend, which was my first weekend with the old girl. So no issue there...

I popped open the left and right hand power valve covers to do an inspection.

The left side had a lot of spoog that drained out all over the floor but the right side was very clean.

Is this a normal thing or do I have some sort of blockage in the drain tube?

Cheers!

Jacob 'Berg 09-16-2022 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topjimmyk (Post 200512)
Hey all! I just bought a 2001 300 ec. Which runs and starts great. Rode it all labor day weekend, which was my first weekend with the old girl. So no issue there...

I popped open the left and right hand power valve covers to do an inspection.

The left side had a lot of spoog that drained out all over the floor but the right side was very clean.

Is this a normal thing or do I have some sort of blockage in the drain tube?

Cheers!

I would check the fitting that threads into the LHS power valve cover. Pull this and give it a good cleaning. Replace the hose that connects to the fitting as well. You will likely always have some unburnt oil in the LHS cover, but it should be draining out the drain hose and not accumulating in the cover.

Topjimmyk 09-16-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg (Post 200513)
I would check the fitting that threads into the LHS power valve cover. Pull this and give it a good cleaning. Replace the hose that connects to the fitting as well. You will likely always have some unburnt oil in the LHS cover, but it should be draining out the drain hose and not accumulating in the cover.

What is confusing me, is that the drain hose and thread is on my RHS power valve cover (kickstart side). That side was clean. The LHS power valve had all the sploog in it. Am I possibly over looking something
here?

Panagiotis 09-16-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topjimmyk (Post 200514)
What is confusing me, is that the drain hose and thread is on my RHS power valve cover (kickstart side). That side was clean. The LHS power valve had all the sploog in it. Am I possibly over looking something
here?

The RHS hose is facing up so it acts like a vent also because the power valve lever is that side there is a hole for it straight to the crankcase , if any spooge makes it there it will go down to the crankcase .
The LHS has a small hole connecting the power valve with the chamber so the spooge from the power valve goes to the chamber and then drains through the hose .
I am not an expert on this i just think this is how it works on my 2009 model.

Jacob 'Berg 09-16-2022 05:08 PM

Just to clarify. The right hand side is the gear box vent hose. The left hand side is the power valve cover drain. They both serve a different purpose.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. It happens.

(F5) 09-17-2022 04:16 AM

So can you bring it up on clutch or throttle?

Read the jetting threads.

Topjimmyk 09-19-2022 08:50 AM

Thanks guys,

Sounds like she just needs to be cleaned.