Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Other Stuff... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Power Washers (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22743)

compmoto 06-12-2017 07:28 AM

Power Washers

What type do you use ? Why did you pick THAT one ?
Would you buy it again ? If not, which one would you buy ?
I have always heard Karcher washers were supposed to be good, but haven't tried one yet...
for the record, the 20 yr old Craftsman I now have, with a 6.25 Tecumseh engine, needs a pump impeller repair, and I don't really think its worth the hassle, and finding the correct parts has been somewhat challenging...even tho I have the model#,serial #, from the owner's manual etc

hadfield4wd 06-12-2017 07:33 AM

I just use a cheap electric one from harbor freight. I don't want it too powerful. Lasts about 3-4 years then I get another.

pscook 06-12-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadfield4wd (Post 177421)
I just use a cheap electric one from harbor freight. I don't want it too powerful. Lasts about 3-4 years then I get another.

Same here. If I were washing more than just the bike and patio then I would invest in a serious washer, but my little electric washer is perfect for bikes. Not too strong, but still more pressure than straight from the tap. It is good for rinsing the cars as well, but it's no good at fully cleaning concrete; I will rent or borrow when I get to the point of really going for a deep clean, but the little electric fellow does an adequate job for the seasonal jobs.

Late edit: I have a Snap-On branded washer, it's likely from the same factory as every single other portable electric washer. I don't remember the psi rating, but it's in the 150 range, I think?

Moto7man 06-12-2017 10:10 AM

I have a Subaru gas model. Its very reliable and works very well. I can't remember the psi but you want to keep your hands away from it.

Zrt1200 06-21-2017 07:44 AM

Well If you want to replace it every few years get a cheap one. If you want it to last get one with a triplex pump. Here is a guide to them....

http://pressurewashr.com/pressure-washer-pumps/

frankinberg 06-21-2017 09:01 PM

Hotsy hot water is the only way to go cooks all the grim off use some degreaser makes your bike look like new

RBrider 06-23-2017 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compmoto (Post 177419)
What type do you use ? Why did you pick THAT one ?
Would you buy it again ? If not, which one would you buy ?
I have always heard Karcher washers were supposed to be good, but haven't tried one yet...
for the record, the 20 yr old Craftsman I now have, with a 6.25 Tecumseh engine, needs a pump impeller repair, and I don't really think its worth the hassle, and finding the correct parts has been somewhat challenging...even tho I have the model#,serial #, from the owner's manual etc

Check the Northern Tool website. They carry replacement pumps at reasonable costs. Main info you need is shaft size, I think. It's been a few years since I got a replacement pump, so I don't recall all the details exactly. Back then a new pump was about $150 US, shipped.

Pump will be shipped full of oil and ready to use.

RB

Zman 06-23-2017 10:51 AM

Or buy the cheap electric one and use the 6.5hp for a gokart!:D

compmoto 06-25-2017 09:35 AM

done deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman (Post 177631)
Or buy the cheap electric one and use the 6.5hp for a gokart!:D

that's what I'm gonna do... I bought a $190. unit from Sears...
just doing what I can to help keep an American icon in business !
thanx for all the suggestions and advice

JP4 06-28-2017 10:49 PM

I had a cheapo Black & Decker unit that worked good for a couple of years. About a month ago I plugged it in and the circuit breaker on the plug kept tripping. The week before I had used it while it was raining, so I think there was a short somewhere.

The next time I used it, I was having a bad day. In a chemotherapy induced rage, I lost it and smashed it to bits on the driveway. A good show for the neighbours I'm sure. I'm claiming not my fault, the chemo drugs made me do it - I go for pretty strong chemo every 2 weeks, and the 3-4 days after I'm a little cranky, as I'm pretty nauseous and fatigued. I still ride and race every weekend.

Anyway, I bought a cheapo Karcher replacement ... seems to be better made than the B&D, lets hope it fares better than the last one :D