Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fly Racing 5.5 HD PRO Same as Leatt 5.5 HD PRO? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23001)

Moto7man 10-10-2017 01:28 PM

Fly Racing 5.5 HD PRO Same as Leatt 5.5 HD PRO?

I want to buy a Leatt 5.5 HD PRO. The Fly Racing model looks exactly the same to every detail and it is on close out. Does Leatt make this 5.5 HD PRO for FLY?:confused:

Here is a Leatt Rep explaining features on a different Fly model specifying that it is made by Leatt for Fly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w2VlBchpJcY

Moto7man 10-10-2017 03:13 PM

I just called Fly Racing and Leatt Distribution North America. Two different phone numbers but the same organization. The "Leatt" rep explained to me that the chest protector is exactly the same model both made by Leatt. The Fly Racing model is on close out $219 reduced to $136 with free shipping.:eek:

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/searc...arch_brand=361

pscook 10-10-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 179323)
I just called Fly Racing and Leatt Distribution North America. Two different phone numbers but the same organization. The "Leatt" rep explained to me that the chest protector is exactly the same model both made by Leatt. The Fly Racing model is on close out $219 reduced to $136 with free shipping.:eek:

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/searc...arch_brand=361

Have you found the difference between the HD and the non-HD? And I can't seem to find if the Fly is compatible with the Alpinestars BNS neck brace. I really don't want to have to buy another complete set just because I bought a chest protector for a great price.

Moto7man 10-10-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscook (Post 179324)
Have you found the difference between the HD and the non-HD? And I can't seem to find if the Fly is compatible with the Alpinestars BNS neck brace. I really don't want to have to buy another complete set just because I bought a chest protector for a great price.

The Leatt rep told me that the difference between the HD and non HD were the flank protection panels, which I suppose are the panels under the arms protecting the ribs. I ordered the HD because I wanted those panels which keep your arm from tucking under and breaking your ribs in a fall.

I have a BNS Alipinestars brace too. I have heard other braces are compatible with the HD, but when I get mine this week I will post an update on compatibility.:)

pscook 10-11-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 179328)
The Leatt rep told me that the difference between the HD and non HD were the flank protection panels, which I suppose are the panels under the arms protecting the ribs. I ordered the HD because I wanted those panels which keep your arm from tucking under and breaking your ribs in a fall.

I have a BNS Alipinestars brace too. I have heard other braces are compatible with the HD, but when I get mine this week I will post an update on compatibility.:)

Thanks for all info. Looking forward to your review as the HD seems to tick the boxes. I'm just very used to wearing my neck brace, and if they are compatible then I think I'll make the investment in the HD. Thanks for sharing!

Darkside 10-11-2017 01:52 PM

Great find! thanks for posting Moto7man. I was eyeballing the Alpinestars A-10 full roost deflector. Pretty hard to pass up this deal

Moto7man 10-11-2017 02:24 PM

You are both welcome. I haven't worn an A 10 but I have worn an A 6 for last few years.

pscook 10-19-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 179335)
You are both welcome. I haven't worn an A 10 but I have worn an A 6 for last few years.

Any update on fit with the BNS?

Moto7man 10-19-2017 10:29 PM

I got the chest protector on Tuesday night. It is a Leatt, with a Leatt Instruction and Warranty booklet and Leatt embossed logos.It is a serious piece of armor with excellent adjustability. I like it a lot.

However, after about two hours of adjusting and fitting, I can't get my Alpinestars brace positioned where I am 100% comfortable but be aware that I am very picky. The protector has front and rear insert slots for your brace. The manual shows that you can place your neck brace on top of these slots/inserts or into the slots/inserts.

The Alpinestars brace will fit on top on each slot/insert and it will fit into each slot/insert, except it will only go down about halfway into the rear slot/insert.

The slot/inserts each have a couple of screws but they are not removable because they are sewn together with the frame.

At this point, I like the chest protector and the great flank and arm protection so much that I think I will buy a Leatt 5.5 gpx or a 6.5 gpx neck brace.

pscook 10-20-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 179465)
I got the chest protector on Tuesday night. It is a Leatt, with a Leatt Instruction and Warranty booklet and Leatt embossed logos.It is a serious piece of armor with excellent adjustability. I like it a lot.

However, after about two hours of adjusting and fitting, I can't get my Alpinestars brace positioned where I am 100% comfortable but be aware that I am very picky. The protector has front and rear insert slots for your brace. The manual shows that you can place your neck brace on top of these slots/inserts or into the slots/inserts.

The Alpinestars brace will fit on top on each slot/insert and it will fit into each slot/insert, except it will only go down about halfway into the rear slot/insert.

The slot/inserts each have a couple of screws but they are not removable because they are sewn together with the frame.

At this point, I like the chest protector and the great flank and arm protection so much that I think I will buy a Leatt 5.5 gpx or a 6.5 gpx neck brace.

Great feedback, thanks for the follow up. I don't know if I'm ready to purchase another neck brace, but at least I have the information to decide. Thanks again!