Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2010 gasgas ec250 unreal vibrations!!! (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23570)

Bossman_racer 05-15-2018 05:42 AM

2010 gasgas ec250 unreal vibrations!!!

Hi all

I?m new hear thought you may be able to help me, I?ve recently bought a 2010 ec250 after reading good reviews I sold my excf450 for this. After going out on it I couldn?t believe the vibrations when revving! To the point after doing 2 miles I couldn?t feel my finger tips! I?ve noticed that there is a leak on the front pipe which could be causing back pressure problems... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

swazi_matt 05-15-2018 08:35 AM

2 strokes are notorious vibrators, but try checking that the o-rings on the exhaust flange are not worn, that will make the vibrations worse

Neil E. 05-15-2018 10:54 AM

Check all the engine mounting bolts, swingarm bolt, headstay bolts. What is the history on this bike? Rebuilds? It may have a worn out connecting rod.

Zman 05-15-2018 01:11 PM

If the engine is tight in its mounts, it sounds like something is wrong inside the engine.

Pull the ignition cover and see if you have up and down movement in the crank bearings. Double check your flywheel and flywheel weight.

I had one Steahly FWW that did not play nice with one specific flywheel but the FWW worked fine on another bike. The one flywheel was machined incorrectly with the hole off center from the puller threads, but the flywheel was balance corrected for it so it did not vibrate without the flywheel weight.

Bossman_racer 05-15-2018 04:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I?ve checked all the things suggested previously as I?m not new to bikes and building them. I have been out tonight for a decent ride and I think it?s mostly because I am so used to 4 strokes and having raced bikes on road for the past 10 years I?m guessing I?m just not used to a 250 2 stroke. Being honest I think I?m going to put it up for sale and revert back to a 4 stroke.
So if any one is after a bike shout up! 😊 thanks again.

Ben

Ps had a full rebuild 18 hours ago. Plus lots more

Gasser Nate 05-15-2018 05:01 PM

I?d be guessing incorrectly pressed crank webs. Especially if it has had a recent rebuild. Stick a dial gauge on the end of the crank and check the runout. I recently pressed one together and the owner said it was never that smooth from new.
P.s 2 stroke do vibrate but never enough to make fingers numb, so something is amiss.

Zman 05-15-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasser Nate (Post 183205)
I?d be guessing incorrectly pressed crank webs. Especially if it has had a recent rebuild. Stick a dial gauge on the end of the crank and check the runout. I recently pressed one together and the owner said it was never that smooth from new.
P.s 2 stroke do vibrate but never enough to make fingers numb, so something is amiss.

\

I agree that the crank was probably reassembled incorrectly.

philm 05-15-2018 08:16 PM

My 2010 300 seems to vibrate a lot more than my previous 2006 model so maybe it's something peculiar to 2010 bikes.

My fingers used to go numb after a few minutes of riding but wearing padded palm protectors or inner gloves seems to remove most of the vibrations. They might be worth a try before you sell it.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Jakobi 05-15-2018 10:32 PM

My 2010 was a real hummer too. Not so much finger tips but definitely through the pegs.

Double check the head stays, they are known to crack.
Although you have checked the engine mounts go back over them. Loosen em off and work from the swingarm back forward finishing with the head stays. While they are slack compare the frame to the mounts. Some people have found less vibrations if shimming the chassis up a little too.

Usually it's the 300's that buzz more so than the 250's.

(F5) 05-16-2018 01:41 AM

I've only ridden 05 and 07 250s. Never remember vibes. My mates 10 300 has more than mine but no drama. I run pro-taper pillow grips which are pretty cool.
Heck a mates 15 WR450 vibrated more (and what a bus).

Crank run out the first thing that came to mind.
Find one at a trail and ask what his is like. He'll offer to compare.
Never trust a full rebuild unless you've done it. Or trust the mechanic.you can imagine the Xbox snot noses working on bikes. Or owners damaging true cranks putting them in. Or the courier.

I've had to sent a crank off to be fixed and welded (last resort) as it was put in uneven and got loose.