Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Info Needed - Trials Tire Comparison for Trials Bike (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11088)

Eric K 12-04-2011 08:43 AM

If you want trials tire like traction with a knobby try the Metzeler Unicross with the Tubliss. The Metz Unicross sidewalls are much softer than most knobby tires giving it a lot more flexibility to adhere to different surfaces. I have run at various pressures.

I have run trials tires for 9 years on my 01 GasGas XC300 and for 3 years on my 06 EC300, including the Michelin, Dunlop, IRC & Mitas radial trials tires. The Mitas was all around the best performer for me.

I have ridden the Metzeler/Tubliss for 1387 miles over 2+ years on my 06 EC300. I ran pressure down as low as 4 psi. I found 6 psi to be the sweet spot for traction and higher speed control. For comparison, I had the Mitas ET-01 trials tire on my 01 XC300 normally at 6.5 psi with a HD tube.

The most difficult conditions where I ride are mostly greasy, wet clay and occasional snow/ice. In same day, same location, back to back comparison riding between my 2 GasGas 300's. One with a Mitas trials tire and one with the Unicross this is what I found: On the greasy clay the Metzeler/Tubliss at 5-6 psi is very comparable to the Mitas at 6.5 psi. On glare ice, they both have difficulty hooking up. In deeper snow, the Metzeler has a clear advantage. In loose rock the Metzeler has a clear advantage. It pulls harder and straighter. On solid, exposed rock the Mitas had a slight advantage. In sand the Mitas has an advantage. Cornering clearly goes to the Metzeler. It is more stable and predictable in hard, leaned over cornering.

GMP 12-04-2011 11:09 AM

Tubliss pushes some knobbys close to the trials tire performance for sure. An MT-16 with Tubliss at 6 PSI is excellent as well. In pure rock though the trials rules and saves me a lot of $$ in trashed tires.

trialsridr 12-08-2011 05:55 PM

To offer an opinion on the original question. I agree the dunlop works great for the average competitor on a trials bike for roughly half the money of a Michelin . I could tell little difference between the two if any . I think Jeff Aaron won his last couple national championships with them and I will buy the dunlops again when I need another pair.

swazi_matt 12-09-2011 01:13 AM

I run tubliss here, but find i have to use tires with reinforced sidewall to avoid sidewall cuts, like the mitas c18

HuskyDude 12-09-2011 08:55 AM

I've had that problem with the Michelin X11's before. Even punched a small stick right through the side wall.
But in all fairness the tire was a few years old and showed signs of side wall cracking:D

2whlrcr 12-09-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trialsridr (Post 75662)
To offer an opinion on the original question. I agree the dunlop works great for the average competitor on a trials bike for roughly half the money of a Michelin . I could tell little difference between the two if any . I think Jeff Aaron won his last couple national championships with them and I will buy the dunlops again when I need another pair.

Hey Xenia guy, do you know John Manly?

trialsridr 12-10-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr (Post 75687)
Hey Xenia guy, do you know John Manly?

I do not know him