Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Q Stealth pipe dreams and other FMF stuff (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9881)

motogroove 06-10-2011 08:24 AM

Q Stealth pipe dreams and other FMF stuff

Howdy,

In my dreams, I fit a Q Stealth pipe to my 2001xc300.
I wonder how much the pipes changed over the years and what kind of modifications I'd have to do to pull it off. I guess there was one change in 03 (no Q yet) and another in 07.

Do people love the Q silencer?
Great idea, or total waste of time?

I'm not seeing the GG pipe from 2007 on, just the silencer. Is that when the GG factory pipes started?

Thanks for any input.

-Dean

jhendr3702 06-10-2011 08:38 AM

i have seen a thread on here where someone took a q and modded it to fit the early bike.. i can tell you it is quiet... i think the mounts to the subframe are different, the angle of the silencer is way different..

i think it could be done.. it literally made that 300 sound like a kdx 200.. i am all for quiet bikes and no sparks.. i live in the texas panhandle.. we have had less than an inch of rain this year.. we had a 60 mph wind driven wildfire come thru our block this year.. spooky stuff..

blitz11 06-10-2011 08:51 AM

RPDUC did a story where he put a Q stealth on his MC250.

Here's the thread:

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...hlight=stealth

Good re-reading.

blitz

motogroove 06-10-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendr3702 (Post 65050)
i have seen a thread on here where someone took a q and modded it to fit the early bike.. i can tell you it is quiet... i think the mounts to the subframe are different, the angle of the silencer is way different..

i think it could be done.. it literally made that 300 sound like a kdx 200.. i am all for quiet bikes and no sparks.. i live in the texas panhandle.. we have had less than an inch of rain this year.. we had a 60 mph wind driven wildfire come thru our block this year.. spooky stuff..

Mounts and the angle... that's just about everything. But I have a friend who does the show-grade welding for Morosso (hot rod performace goodies), so...

maybe I could sacrifice my Powercore2, cut off the mounts and the in-pipe, then have my buddy graft them onto the Q.

The P2 already has a valid spark arrestor. But Stealth is everything if you want Connecticut woods. We can ride at tracks. We can ride at one place that's managed by Army Corps of Engineers. Or we can try to find woods that aren't posted and where we don't bother people. Pipe selection affects the size of that last choice.

People love to argue the noise issue. And they make several good points. But they miss the main point, which is really similar to bar ettiquette or just plain living in society. The less you bother other people, the less they bother you. Bother them more than needed, expect more bother back.

-Dean
Turning money into noise
:D -Jim Hall

Elvis74 06-12-2011 01:53 AM

just put a pipe from 2007 or yunger on yours and than you can mount the Q
The difference is the connection diameter of the pipe to the muffler, this has changed by the years

motogroove 07-25-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis74 (Post 65120)
just put a pipe from 2007 or yunger on yours and than you can mount the Q
The difference is the connection diameter of the pipe to the muffler, this has changed by the years

Bumping this thread.
Thinking I'm going to give this a try one way or the other.

Does a 2007+ pipe fit on my 2001? If so, does it still require the angle modification (cut,weld)? 2007+ is larger diameter?

I need a pipe anyway. I'd like to get a Gnarly back on there for woods work. That Messico is paper thin and best suited for the track, methinx. I do love that Messico though -sounds like a steel drum band on acid.

Try to make a whole 2007 system fit on a 2001?
Or, stick with a new 2001 Gnarly and fit the Q from there?
Which would you do?

Thanks,
Dean

jhendr3702 07-25-2011 08:25 AM

my 01 and 07 are side by side right now.. let me shoot you some pix's tonight..

I think if i were going to do that... i would do the 01 pipe and modify the Q.

here is the Q on the 07.. it is QUIET... like kdx 200 quiet..

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...3702/005-2.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...3702/006-1.jpg

jhendr3702 07-25-2011 08:05 PM

well... pixs wont help, but i dont think the 07 pipe would fit the 01 bike..

it is just different.. maybe someone has tried it and knows for sure..

i still think the 01gnarly pipe.. and the pipe off the front of your 01 tc on the q is the way to go..

nambo-trev 07-25-2011 10:46 PM

i actually just took my Q off my nambotin and replaced it with a TC2. i liked the quite of the Q but thats about all. i should have listened to GMP last year when we had this discussion. i find the Q to long and when ive crashed put alot of stress on the sub frame. also its alot better tucked away(and much shorter) than the Q. i beat the crap out of my Q in a short amount of time. for the slightly louder note id go with a tc2 for damage control and power and you get the bonus of it being 30 bucks cheaper 2! just my 2 cents.

GMP 07-26-2011 07:51 AM

My thoughts exactly, the thing is like a four stroke can. I'm not even sure the Q is that much quieter than a well maintained TC2 once your on the pipe, it didn't seem like a big difference to me riding the bike. At idle and grunting around yes its quieter. The TC2 is fine and way quieter than most of the stupid loud four strokes on the trail. Riding with Cruiser and another friend in PA a couple months back, I let the guy try my bike, it had the OEM Messico silencer on it at the time. The sound disappeared in seconds as he rode off in the woods. I know for sure when I get a new bike the Q comes off and a TC2 or LV goes on.

Basically you have two issues to deal with to fit the '07 pipe/silencer. In '03 the motor was lowered 8mm in the front, so the pipe angle is a little different. Depending on the pipe this can be dealt with fairly easily, Worst case you have to tweak the stinger. For the silencer follow RPDUC's thread.