Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   2002 ec400fse starter clutch (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5135)

jason r 08-26-2009 04:19 PM

2002 ec400fse starter clutch

First of all,hello to everyone.Its good to find a good active forum like this for the GasGas.:)
I have a 2002 ec400fse that I have owned since nearly knew.I used for 2 years regularly and all was ok,except for the well documented starting not being its best feature(managed to kick it just the once).
Anyhow after a change of job last year I have been able to use it again in the last 6 months,though the starting has become more of a problem as each week goes by.It finally has stopped starting altogerther(starter turning,but not turning the engine) now,despite a new battery.The forum pointed me to the starter clutch which a check by me has confirmed this.
I want to order the upgraded parts from the 2004 model,but can anybody please give me the full list of parts that I need and approx price I am looking at.I phoned a GasGas dealer but they were not able to help me.I want to make sure the parts I am buying will definately fit and be compatible.

Any help will be much appreciated.

INABIL 08-28-2009 11:12 AM

Starter Clutch

I think I paid about $225. or more from my dealer, don't know if it was the 2004 upgrade though. Keep a good eye on those very tiny springs, one fell out on me when installing and freaked me out for alittle.

gasit16 08-28-2009 07:10 PM

starter clutch

I rebuilt mine myself, it's easy, without having to buy the upgrade.
You can buy the part you need, which is just the cage. From Ringspann,Corporation,Phone #847-678-3583
ringspanncorp.com it's called a freewheel cage, Part #sf44-14.5/20kz
It cost me around $100.00, I've installed one and rebuilt another one but have never had a need for it since. You have to keep and use your orginal parts... Good Luck
Gasit16

jason r 08-29-2009 03:09 AM

Thanks all.Spoke to GasGas UK who knew what parts I needed.

Think I will try RingSpann for that part on Monday and go from there.

My plan now is to get it running with a new starter clutch then buy the upgraded parts over the next 2/3 months and fit them as well.

Paul Somerville 08-30-2009 02:04 AM

best uk Gas Gas Dealer

if you want the best advise ring colin at Thor motorcycles in Bodmin he sell 70% of all uk enduros knows what he's talking about helped me with a 400 starter sprag issue also the dreaded poor idle he keep just about every part there is

jason r 08-30-2009 03:00 PM

Thanks.will him give him a ring on Tuesday:)

Devondan 09-09-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Somerville (Post 33827)
if you want the best advise ring colin at Thor motorcycles in Bodmin he sell 70% of all uk enduros knows what he's talking about helped me with a 400 starter sprag issue also the dreaded poor idle he keep just about every part there is

Yep I can recomend Thor too .... excellent service.

Dan