Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Oversize powervalve cover. (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8247)

Todd5774 11-20-2010 12:23 PM

Oversize powervalve cover.

Have just bought a oversized powervalve cover and was wondering do you plug the middle threaded hole that looks like it goes through to the barrel? or leave it open?

Bike is a 02 300.

fury1 11-20-2010 01:19 PM

should be bolted,the stock one also is bolted in the same spot

Todd5774 11-20-2010 03:09 PM

Ta, thought it should be but thought it would be better to ask rather than just blindly do it.

case-racing 11-20-2010 07:51 PM

power valve cover

what does an oversized cover do ?

gasgasman 11-20-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fury1 (Post 51651)
should be bolted,the stock one also is bolted in the same spot

Some oversize covers don't have the center bolt like the OEM one.
In this case, leave the bolt out.

HuskyDude 11-20-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case-racing (Post 51663)

Theory is it increases your bottom end power by increasing your volume of the power valve chamber. In other words gives a bit better throttle response down low. Good for real technical riding.
I put a Trusty cover on mine. Not really sure if it's needed on a 300 but the damn thing won't stall now.:D

widebear 11-21-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case-racing (Post 51663)

I'm not a fan. Dulls your low end throttle response but fattens the torque a bit, great for guys with less than perfect clutch ,throttle control or who dont like crisp zippy power.

Trailrider 11-22-2010 12:50 PM

Power Valve cover

The hole should be plugged or preferably a drain line attached. I used a zerk fitting with the center drilled out and added some tubing.

webmaster 11-22-2010 05:53 PM

Some oversized covers have a vent tube attachment at the bottom - some don't...

He is referring to the one in the center of the cover that goes "into" the cylinder - it's for a mounting bolt.

Adding a PV cover helps more or less depending on the pipe you use - given that it adds volume to the exhaust - adding it to an already large torque pipe like the fmf gnarley or fatty isn't as notice-able as adding it with a doma or messico pipe, etc.

It provides gain on bottom and doesn't effect top end - as this chamber is shut off when the power valves are open (high rpm).

Jeff

Cruiser 11-22-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widebear (Post 51678)
I'm not a fan. Dulls your low end throttle response but fattens the torque a bit, great for guys with less than perfect clutch ,throttle control or who dont like crisp zippy power.

Dulls? nope,, adds bottom end by adding volume that becomes a non issue once the pv opens. Never heard of it dulling the bike down.. gives it more grunt. odd you say that.. On my 03 it was needed,, the 03 was very weak off the bottom,, I did the big cover, messico pipe and a cdi from an 01 300xc and it was good. Oh, and ltr jett and special reeds I got directly from the boysen shop down the road.