Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Mako 360 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24174)

Wypipo 01-12-2019 10:36 AM

Mako 360

Does anyone have experience with mako 360 bar mount? What are your thoughts?

Anders 01-13-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wypipo (Post 187962)
Does anyone have experience with mako 360 bar mount? What are your thoughts?

I haven't heard of those before. My instant thoughts are that I'd rather have a Twisted engineering handlebar.
And I do ;)

Jokes aside, if you feel the need for some flexibility, there are several options. Damping mounts like the PHDS systems often used on the orange bikes, Flexx bars, TE, and now Mako (another sort of damping mounts / clamps).
Dirt rider is quite pleased, I see: https://www.dirtrider.com/three-thin...-mounts-review

I have ended up with the TE bars. I have used them for at least four years (>300 hours) and am very pleased. I haven't felt the urge to try something else. However, the Enduro FIM rules have something against composite bars. So if you are competing, I guess Mako is a safer bet.

memphis2857 01-13-2019 06:25 PM

I’ve tried PHDS, Twisted Eng, Flexx Bars, and now Mako 360. I will never ride without a Mako again. It puts all the other dampening systems to shame. You get full 360° dampening, lots of tuning options, MEGA vibration reduction, you can run ANY bar bend and ANY brand of bars you choose, and Lance and Lisa are fantastic people with excellent customer service.

If you really want to be happy, but the Pegs as well. I actually like the pegs more than the bar mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wimpy525 01-14-2019 05:07 AM

I have a set of these going on this week. I ride with a group of local fast guys and they disagree on everything with one exception- the MAKO 360 mount. So I will probably have an update in the next week or so. Will also be testing my new RK-TEK head.

dzhitshard 01-14-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis2857 (Post 187999)
I?ve tried PHDS, Twisted Eng, Flexx Bars, and now Mako 360. I will never ride without a Mako again. It puts all the other dampening systems to shame. You get full 360° dampening, lots of tuning options, MEGA vibration reduction, you can run ANY bar bend and ANY brand of bars you choose, and Lance and Lisa are fantastic people with excellent customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES, to all the above.

Superb product with great improvement to cost ratio.

The only caveat being that you can't use the Mako as stock in the most forward position of the triple clamp with the mounts turned to put the the bars furthest forward because of interference with the top cap of the fork.

I spoke to Lance about this a couple weeks ago and he's aware. The lower mounts are a shared part to many machines and so few riders set their bikes up with the bars in that position it's rarely an issue that's ran into.

IF you need to set your bars up like that because you're 6' 7" tall or you're a recovering trials rider and don't want to lower your forks all the way in the clamps you could machine (or file or belt sand) 3-5mm off the outer edge of the mount and they'd clear.

Wimpy525 01-14-2019 11:17 AM

Lance has my triple clamp (Xtrig) now and is working on the fix, should carry over to the stock triple. Hope to have it back this week.

dzhitshard 01-14-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimpy525 (Post 188012)
Lance has my triple clamp (Xtrig) now and is working on the fix, should carry over to the stock triple. Hope to have it back this week.

He mentioned that the next batch of lower mounts that will be machined are changing design but also said there are quite a stock of current design to go through. I doubt it'll bother even a handful of people.

Wypipo 01-21-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzhitshard (Post 188011)
YES, to all the above.

Superb product with great improvement to cost ratio.

The only caveat being that you can't use the Mako as stock in the most forward position of the triple clamp with the mounts turned to put the the bars furthest forward because of interference with the top cap of the fork.

I spoke to Lance about this a couple weeks ago and he's aware. The lower mounts are a shared part to many machines and so few riders set their bikes up with the bars in that position it's rarely an issue that's ran into.

IF you need to set your bars up like that because you're 6' 7" tall or you're a recovering trials rider and don't want to lower your forks all the way in the clamps you could machine (or file or belt sand) 3-5mm off the outer edge of the mount and they'd clear.

I put mine on this weekend and with the bars in the normal position and the furthest back hole the (stock position) the forks will still only fit to the top line in the triple clamps. Nothing a Dremel can?t fix, but it would?ve been much easier to fix this before mounting.

Dirt Dud 01-21-2019 07:08 PM

I have the Twisted Engineer bars and they do work but I think these Mako dampners may end up on my other ride . Thanks for sharing and let me know how they are working ?

dzhitshard 01-22-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wypipo (Post 188153)
I put mine on this weekend and with the bars in the normal position and the furthest back hole the (stock position) the forks will still only fit to the top line in the triple clamps. Nothing a Dremel can?t fix, but it would?ve been much easier to fix this before mounting.

It is a bit tedious with the way these mount up with a double threaded stud vs the previous model I had with a socket head cap screw. I'm not sure I like the idea of a double threaded stud. Seems like a lot of stress to put on the Aluminum threads of the bar mounts.

It seems an odd choice to use them being that they are probably 2-4x the price of a cap screw as well.

At this point if they're good enough for the NEGP and 6days GG teams I suppose they'll work ok for me. If I see any thread stretch when I tear down in a couple months prior to the start of the race season I will mill the mount holes out for a socket head cap screw.