Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Electrical & Wiring (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Up a creek (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12361)

KicksonR66 05-07-2012 12:32 PM

Up a creek

So I went to cross a creek about 12 to 18" deep hit a big rock and fell. The bike was down maybe 10 seconds, went to restart and nothing buddy had to rescue me.

I have removed the stator cover that had a little moisture, checked for spark with plug out and I do have spark. Put plug back in and can't get it to fire, remove plug again and have spark. Decide to check spark with a plug in head and now I cannot get spark. Bike got wet on Sat so plenty of time to dry out.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Fred1956 05-07-2012 12:39 PM

I would suggest to pull the front crankcase drain (on the bottom of the engine under the crankshaft-well forward of the oil drain) and kick it through while that is out, Clean and dry the air filter, new spark plug, drain the carb float bowl and either stand it on it's tail to drain pipe well or pull the pipe since you're back home. More than likely you still have water in the engine even though it's been 2-3 days. DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE CRANKCASE DRAIN BACK IN AFTER YOU REMOVE IT ! It would be a perfect time to change the oil also........Good luck

KicksonR66 05-07-2012 12:47 PM

Thanks Fred, will do and will let you know, it may take a day or two before I can get to it. I see your in NW AR, I am near Moyers, OK in the mountains. I suspect our terrain is similar and was wondering what is your rear tire of choice? (Sorry for going off topic)

Thanks again,

John

GMP 05-07-2012 02:14 PM

Hate to tell you this, but if you have creek water sitting in the lower end for a few days your almost certainly looking at main bearing failure in the very near future.

KicksonR66 05-07-2012 02:43 PM

I could have went all day without you telling me that......5oz of water came out crankcase drain, oil looked good. Your certain of bearing failure?

Update: Pulled pipe, water as well.....oil looks good no separation after approx 45 min.

Fred1956 05-07-2012 05:15 PM

Glenn is probably right, 5 ozs of water in the crankcase is a very humid environment, not to mention the 'unfiltered' creek water. IF there was terrifc oiling going on you might get lucky though- at this point you have 2 choices- tear it down and look or fire it up and LISTEN CAREFULLY---ALL THE TIME !!! If they start rumbling then get them fixed.

I run any stiff desert rated knobby with TuBliss inserts at 6-8 psi. Tried the trials tire route and it just didn't suit me

GMP 05-07-2012 06:00 PM

I only say this from seeing it a few times. Once my friend, an experienced A rider and pro mechanic, used one of those Twin Air air boot covers and washed his KTM air box. Well, unknown to him it leaked and filled the lower end partially with water. He didn't try to start the bike after washing so the water sat for a few days. Soon after he discovered this and got the bike running, it developed a roar from the lower end, classic bad main bearing. What happens is the steel races/balls/rollers rust very fast, then its all over. Saw the same thing after a mass river drowning in an enduro back in '99, lots of parts sold soon after. I flushed my KTM out with gas when I got back to the truck and with diesel later at home after pulling the top end, no problems then. I did not attempt a restart with a low end full of silty river water.

gasmonkey 05-07-2012 07:43 PM

A cobber of mine sank his 07 300 in a deep watery bog.We drained the air box,dried filter,replaced plug and started to get home. A week later he drained a cup of water from the crankcase.The bottom end was toast within 20hrs.

KicksonR66 05-07-2012 11:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how the water enters the crankcase but not the lower end (Tranny clutch), unless I'm mistaken the oil was water free. So I'm assuming the crankshaft bearings are sealed or get lubed from an oil port? I probably need an education on how these motors work as far as how its lubricated. Poked around a bit and couldn't find a motor breakdown, but did see the 08 and after models are using sealed crankshaft bearings, mine is an 02 though. Is the crankshaft lubed by the 2t oil in gas mixture?

Good evening

GasGas 05-07-2012 11:27 PM

The water enters via the air filter and makes it's way trough the carb to the intake into the bottom end and ultimately the top end. Your crank is lubricated with the oil (premix) in your fuel. Yes your bearings are sealed from the transmission.
http://www.theultralightplace.com/2%...0principle.htm