Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cleaning carbon/spooge out of pipe (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23835)

Jakobi 08-30-2018 02:13 AM

Cleaning carbon/spooge out of pipe

I'm getting my old 2010 model ready for sale. I have a confession to make... and that is that in the 315hrs work she has done over the years.. I have never cleaned the pipe internally, nor have I repacked the silencer. TBH, she blows a bit of smoke!!!

Anyway, I figure I'm cleaning her up to move on. I'm doing it on a budget cause I know I'm not going to get much for the old lass. She's sat for the last couple years (like last 4 years) with hardly any work other than the odd kick in the guts and putt around the yard.

Looks like the back brake master has lost it's load so need to rebuild that. Front brakes can get a bleeding while I'm at it. Rear brake line is worn through to the braid in one spot so I'll replace that too. No rear disc on her (*poached for the 2013), but have a couple new ones in boxes. I actually don't need to buy much to pass rego at all.

A new horn, an indicator, possibly a tail light, and the rear brake rebuild kit.

But back on topic. I don't have a big torch to use.. and the spooge in there is very moist.. Like everything that was in the silencer had let gravity take it back to the lowest point.. Any suggestions?

Keg 08-30-2018 07:43 AM

Stick it in a campfire. Get it glowing hot. Run around in the dark pretending to be darth-nambotin until cool.

pscook 08-30-2018 07:47 AM

You can burn out the spooge from the expansion chamber with a propane torch just by starting it on fire at the cylner spigot. It should burn through the rest of the pipe due to convection. Just keep the torch aimed into the spigot and let that sucker burn!

Wear safety glasses (preferably a full face shield as well) and gloves, because while it would make an awesome story in a few years, the subsequent healing process might dampen your spirits and postpone future riding opportunities.

elemetal 08-30-2018 09:16 AM

I've had it suggested to use oven cleaner....haven't tried it but it makes sense.

Neil E. 08-30-2018 10:47 AM

Before the big bonfire try hanging the pipe at different angles if there's unburned oil that can drain out.

Jakobi 08-30-2018 03:52 PM

There's a big combination of burnt and unburnt fuel in there.. I'll let her drain and then see when the old man is lighting his next stack of vegetation! Yard here is a bit small and residential for smoking the neighbourhood out.

J. JuJu 08-30-2018 07:43 PM

I would try Spray Nine BBQ or CLR de-greaser formula.

rossi 09-04-2018 09:17 AM

I cleaned the silencer on my 2010 bike silencer last year. I don't think it had been done by the previous owners and was incredibly coked up to the point that the baffle was almost completely blocked.

After I drilled out the rivets to remove the baffle I used an electric hot air paint stripper on the baffle. Once it got hot the layers of carbon and spooge just burnt away leaving the baffle clean and clog free. A gas torch would probably have been slightly quicker but the end result was the same.

Rather than buy new packing I just used some loose fill packing I had left over from a 4 stroke exhaust.