Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   All Other Bikes... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   94 CR 250 Ground Up Restoration IMS Wide Ratio Transmission Issue (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22310)

Moto7man 01-22-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 174229)
Nice project.
Be sure to grind the paint off the frame at the motor mounts.

Thank you for the compliment! I didn't think about grinding the paint off at the mounts, great tip,I'll do that.

gasgasxc 01-23-2017 11:23 PM

If this is the wide ratio transmission you got from me then-
It is complete and a 5 gear matched set.
I bought it new and ran it in my personal bike (1987 CR 250).
I took the set out of the bike before I sent it to you.It was not a loose gear set scattered here and there.I counted all the teeth and double checked the ratios before I sent it out to you in the original box.
should fit 1986-1996 CR250 at the least.

there are some slight differences between years on shafts and stock number of teeth on some years.I think and don't quote me that there was a 12 and 13 tooth shaft available depending on years.Ive also seen differences in other years a tooth here and a tooth there.
But,make no mistake that is the original IMS wide ratio transmission set distributed by Moose racing at the time and application for 1986-1996 CR 250.

Im sorry you are running into an issue.
Look it over close,do you home work,Cross reference microfiche etc.etc.
Don't listen to some joker whos" heard about this or heard about" that.

Goodluck

Moto7man 01-24-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasxc (Post 174281)
If this is the wide ratio transmission you got from me then-
It is complete and a 5 gear matched set.
I bought it new and ran it in my personal bike (1987 CR 250).
I took the set out of the bike before I sent it to you.It was not a loose gear set scattered here and there.I counted all the teeth and double checked the ratios before I sent it out to you in the original box.
should fit 1986-1996 CR250 at the least.

there are some slight differences between years on shafts and stock number of teeth on some years.I think and don't quote me that there was a 12 and 13 tooth shaft available depending on years.Ive also seen differences in other years a tooth here and a tooth there.
But,make no mistake that is the original IMS wide ratio transmission set distributed by Moose racing at the time and application for 1986-1996 CR 250.

Im sorry you are running into an issue.
Look it over close,do you home work,Cross reference microfiche etc.etc.
Don't listen to some joker whos" heard about this or heard about" that.

Goodluck

No worries, It is the same set, we are working on it, PM sent.

Update; The original IMS instructions had a typographical error. IMS Wide Ratio Transmission is now assembled and being installed in the new engine!

Moto7man 01-26-2017 12:11 PM

I am going back checking the install to see anything is incorrect.

This is how the mainshaft and countershaft were assembled. The two top bags include the two stock mainshaft gears. The three bottom bags include the three countershaft gears(the IMS gear and the stock gear are to the left of the bottom left bag, these are the ones that we are having a difficulty.)

All these bags include the removed stock Honda gears, each bag is labeled with number of teeth for the Honda gear, then , at the bottom middle of the bags you will see the label. (replacement IMS gear with the number of teeth.)

So this shows exactly which gears were removed , how many teeth they had, and how many teeth were on each IMS replacement gear that replaced them. I counted the teeth on each stock gear, then I counted the teeth on each IMS gear as I replaced them and labeled each bag. If anybody sees a problem, please let me know because I am scratching my head on this one.

Moto7man 01-29-2017 03:48 PM

While I am waiting on some other detailed on the transmission, I am moving ahead with the chassis and other things. I just got some new parts.

Boyesen clutch cover

IMS 3.1 gallon tank, which is giant-enormous.

And front and rear Buchanan spokes

Moto7man 01-29-2017 03:55 PM

I laced up the 18 and 21 inch rims last night. Somewhat simple, I just ordered a stand so I can true them.

Rear rim. It was cold as heck here last night, so I laced them up in the den while I watched the Grand Tour with Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond.
Front rim

Moto7man 01-29-2017 03:58 PM

Rear rim complete except for truing,

Front rim,

Moto7man 01-29-2017 04:00 PM

I tested fitted the IMS tank and this is how she looks so far.

chopper 01-29-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 174366)

IMS 3.1 gallon tank, which is giant-enormous.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...psbf76hory.jpg

Bike is looking great! Did you want or need the enormous tank? Just thinking that a new Clarke stock capacity in white would give a nice original appearance.

Moto7man 01-29-2017 09:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing and I am kinda on the fence right now about it. I could not find an IMS tank bigger than the stock tank without going to the 3.1.