Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Did I make a mistake? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20116)

daveec250 08-19-2015 07:47 AM

Did I make a mistake?

Hello all, new to the forum and the Gas Gas. I recently bought a lightly used 2012 ec250r. Bike's in very good condition. The problem that I've been having is related to leaks. After I got it home and rode around the yard I noticed I was loosing coolant, determined it was the water pump seal. It's now fixed. Rode for 4 hours sat and then saw the countershaft seal was leaking. Fixed that last night. I've had bikes and quads for 20+ years and I can see now and then an issue. Are these bikes prone to leaking seals? I tried to do my research prior to buying as the company is in dire straits. I verified I could get parts or cross reference else where. I guess i'm just a little bit disappointed I've had to mess so much.

Zman 08-19-2015 07:56 AM

Hello,

We have 9 GG bikes in our group and I have only needed to replace those two seals due to leaks on my 2000 after 10yrs of riding it. I can not speak the 2012 but I have found the GG to be no more likely to leak than other dirt bikes. Both of those are mechanical seals that are prone to wear. Is it possible that your bike had many miles on it before you bought it or is it possible that you overfilled the oil?

Jakobi 08-19-2015 08:16 AM

I wouldn't say they are overly prone to it.

My 2010 model went over 260hrs before replacing any of the mentioned (and only did so as part of a complete rebuild, preventitive maintenance).

My 2013 model has had a leak from the counter shaft, and also a weeping stator side main seal under 100hrs. The counter shaft was due to an extended period of riding in mud and grit though and was somewhat expected. The main seal wasn't causing poor running, but was noted during some other maintenance and replaced at that time.

daveec250 08-19-2015 08:26 AM

thanks for the replies. I know they are a wearable items and it's always possible the bike had more miles and has been overfilled. No hour meter so all I had to base things on were the condition. This is the nicest bike I've owned and I guess with money being tight i'm just worried I made a mistake. Good thing is I know the bike inside and out at this point. Got one more item to address, a weeping water pump gasket. thanks again fellas.

VxZeroKnots 08-19-2015 11:22 AM

All that stuff certainly is a pain, but I wouldn't say that model year is prone to leaking. Probably a few more fiddly bits and in six months you won't remember any of it.

Moto7man 08-19-2015 11:40 AM

I bought my 2011 new, after 4 years I"ve never had a leak at all.

desertgasser300 08-19-2015 11:59 AM

Most likely poor maintenence on part of the previous owner. I have a 12' also, it looks rough cause I ride it hard, but it runs in perfect order cause I'm anal about the maintenence.

I've seen some used bikes that are deceiving, they look newish but the owners didn't do squat for maintenence. My riding partner was that way until he got sick of me telling him he needs to take care of his bike.

poelinca 08-19-2015 12:34 PM

It's always the matter of buying used enduro bikes, especially if the bike had more than one owner. Most of them are not well maintained and looked after. The ones that are in top notch condition will get sold to friends and friends of friends but not on the used bikes market for sure, because they won't get the price they actually deserve.

Do not be surprised if you find a couple more issues to be fixed. Once they are all out of the way you will not regret it. Hang in there, GG are awesome bikes.

daveec250 08-19-2015 02:12 PM

thanks for the support. On the plus side, it is awesome. I was all in as soon as I rode it prior to purchase. It's a beast for sure. In western pa we have a lot of rocks and roots. She tracks straight and lugs like a tractor. Perfect for the hilly nasty stuff we ride. She puts my wr426 to shame. This is my first 2 stroke in more than 20 years. Something about the smell and the power hit that gets me every time. Based on tinkering I think the previous owner wasn't meticulous. I'm very much that way so if it isn't right it bugs me. Since it was new to me and I wasn't sure what the prior guy did, I pretty much ripped her down and touched and torqued every bolt and fastener. My wife thought I was out of my mind but I kindly explained to her that if i'm gonna rip and tear, I want to know it's all good. Not take someone's word for it. My WR was used and the guy I bought it from had 3 bikes and a bunch of Harley's. I thought he knew what was up then I come to find out on the first oil change he had 3+ quarts in the old girl when it calls for just shy of 1!

hamilton 08-19-2015 04:16 PM

I have a couple 12's that have been rock solid.
aside from the plastic clutch cover seeping and the e-start being useless.
After a little carb and suspension setup they have needed nothing but maintenance items.