Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Other... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Gas gas ec speed vs a 250 crosser (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16768)

Niall-griffiths 02-18-2014 03:48 PM

Gas gas ec speed vs a 250 crosser

Hi guys bought my first gas gas a few weeks ago a ec 300 2002. Just put a new piston kit in As it had loads of blow by and alot of movement in the bore. Just wondering if these things keep up or are quicker than the 250 crossers yz kx Ect as it doesn't feel as fast as my old kx 250. Maybe it's just because the power is alot of smoother and manageable where as the 250s hit much harder. Just want some opinions of people who have rode both??

Zman 02-19-2014 06:12 AM

Engine power does not make you go faster unless you can get that power to the ground. The GG has more power at lower rpms than a MX bike and it has a linear power delivery so you do not have the "hit" of an MX bike. This combination helps you accelerate faster without losing traction in real world riding conditions.

gasser 02-19-2014 11:32 AM

My old 300 seemed way slow when I rode it back to back with my friends new, fresh, perfectly tuned 250 YZ but a drag race with him told a different story. He jumped me a bike length off the line but from there it looked like we were chained together till the Yamaha tapped out in 5th gear. At that point I shifted to 6th and left him in my dust. Had my engine been as fresh and well tuned as the YZ the gasser would have really embarrassed it.

Niall-griffiths 02-21-2014 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasser (Post 128503)
My old 300 seemed way slow when I rode it back to back with my friends new, fresh, perfectly tuned 250 YZ but a drag race with him told a different story. He jumped me a bike length off the line but from there it looked like we were chained together till the Yamaha tapped out in 5th gear. At that point I shifted to 6th and left him in my dust. Had my engine been as fresh and well tuned as the YZ the gasser would have really embarrassed it.

Thanks for both replys. Do u know the rough top speed of the bikes and how they handle 70mph for half a hour or so?? As I'm thinking of using her for onroad come may???

gassergrant 02-21-2014 02:13 PM

ive had 85mph out of my 300 and if I just cruse its 50-55mph also depends on the gearing to the speed you can achieve

Leo 02-21-2014 03:06 PM

In enduro, bikes target traction and control beside pure speed.

motopsycho87 03-08-2014 05:15 AM

It all depends how well set up your engine is as well, gas gas really seems to give relaxed tolerances with regards to cylinder spacing and squish clearance. Would love to get mine on a dyno and see how much power I've gained setting both up.

If you gear the bike right, you could easily go over 100mph, but 1st gear would be very long and useless off road.