Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   TUBliss gen2 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23142)

Stamper 11-30-2017 01:05 PM

TUBliss gen2

Hi, just wondering does anyone run TUBliss gen2? What's your experiences, are mouses better? If so, what brand.
TIA

hadfield4wd 11-30-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper (Post 180245)
Hi, just wondering does anyone run TUBliss gen2? What's your experiences, are mouses better? If so, what brand.

TIA

I run both. I have Gen2’s on my sons bike and nitro mousse on my bike.

I have only about 5 rides on the mousse so far.

You can change pressure on the Gen2’s and run really low, however I have a total of 2 plugs in the rear tire and 1 in the front. While the repair is simple and faster than changing a tube I went with the mousse to eliminate needing to stop at all.

Initially the mousse is much firmer.

Also I’m not running identical tires yet either. Next set of tires for my sons bike will be the same as mine. I’ll be able to give a full review then.

Neil E. 11-30-2017 01:45 PM

I have the Tubliss Gen 2. Noticeably more expensive than Gen 1, but has thicker material on the inner tube. Everthing else looks the same.

My Gen 1 front inner tube failed where the high pressure valve stem is located. The valve stem is above the inside of the rim due to the valve stem nut thickness. This nut is essential since the stem is a constant diameter. The nut prevents the stem from extruding out the rim hole when pressurized.

The height difference stretches the inner tube more when it expands under pressure. The same failure point was evident in the rear Gen 1 tube, it just had not failed yet. The extra thickness of the Gen 2 tube should reduce this tendency. I also machined the stem nut to better fit the rim to reduce the height difference and improve the situation.

The Tubliss works well; however you need to check the high pressure side every few weeks. It bleeds down gradually; mine goes from 100psi to 80psi in 3-4 weeks. On the low pressure side I run 12psi front and 8psi rear. The low pressure does not vary.

I have no experience with a mousse. The mousse is likely a simpler system and might be less effort overall.

swazi_matt 11-30-2017 03:26 PM

If you like the feel and benefits of running lower pressure (or higher) and do not mind stopping for 15 minutes to plug a tube?
Tyres tend to grip longer - lower pressure grip rather than spin
Once your mousse has reached optimum pressure it possibly as good in grip (possibly better) but dead, the tyre doesn’t bounce, more like a wet sponge

hadfield4wd 11-30-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 180251)
If you like the feel and benefits of running lower pressure (or higher) and do not mind stopping for 15 minutes to plug a tube?
Tyres tend to grip longer - lower pressure grip rather than spin
Once your mousse has reached optimum pressure it possibly as good in grip (possibly better) but dead, the tyre doesn’t bounce, more like a wet sponge

I’ve heard that about the “dead feel”. I’m still working through some things on my setup. But that is part of the reason I chose the Nitro Mousse. Its supposed to help with that. Honestly I haven’t noticed yet. They are noticeably heavier too. I am waiting for a new rear tire to show up. Kenda is sending me a replacement Ibex.

I did run my tubliss at 8psi front and 6 psi rear for technical stuff.

Stamper 11-30-2017 05:11 PM

Cheers for the replies. Seems to be a lot of pros and cons for both. Unsure if stopping for 15mins during a Hare scramble to plug a tire would suit 😉. What are the life span of the mousse?

rvangeel 11-30-2017 05:22 PM

I have a question about tire punctures. If I was to run a regular heavy duty tube at the same pressure as the tubliss, would you get the same puncture? Also, If that same puncture was to occur with a mousse, would the tire and mousse run the risk of getting water inside of the tire or absorbed into the puncture of the mousse which would add a considerable amount of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(F5) 11-30-2017 06:32 PM

Gee not sure what gen I have but will always run in the rear. Often 4psi but have let down to 0psi to get out of an area with a knackered tyre, tired body and lack of skill.

swazi_matt 12-01-2017 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper (Post 180257)
Cheers for the replies. Seems to be a lot of pros and cons for both. Unsure if stopping for 15mins during a Hare scramble to plug a tire would suit 😉. What are the life span of the mousse?

the nito's apparently have a very good feel out the box (unlike other mousses that need time to get to the sweet-spot) and reports show very long lifespan with some racers here using one set for the full year rather than 2 races.

stopping to plug a hole is not always necessary, i have had some holes that could not be pluged and i rode 50km of rocky terrain with the flat tire and just tried to find the best lines possible. no damage to rim. the tubliss system works as a 360 degree rimlock so the flat tire does not come off and the inner system also works as a bumper so you are not really riding on the rim. At my last race (i was not really racing) i did the last 10km of thorny rock enduro with a flat because i was enjoying the race too much to stop. I ended up with so may plugs in the tire at the pits preparing for the next day that it looked like a rastafarian tire with dreds, i decided to stop being cheap and just fitted a new tire for the last day.

The problem with UHD tube and low pressure is that you run the chance of getting a snakebite puncture when the tube gets pinched between rim and a rock, you cannot get that with tubliss.

Basically what i tell everyone is if you cannot afford to stop to plug a tire then use a mousse, otherwise use tubliss - tubes should not be an option. You don't see anyone running tubes in their cars anymore!

hadfield4wd 12-01-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvangeel (Post 180258)
I have a question about tire punctures. If I was to run a regular heavy duty tube at the same pressure as the tubliss, would you get the same puncture? Also, If that same puncture was to occur with a mousse, would the tire and mousse run the risk of getting water inside of the tire or absorbed into the puncture of the mousse which would add a considerable amount of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to tubliss because I was changing too many tubes at my trailer. So yes you’ll get a puncture especially when you drop pressure to 4-8psi.

As far as mousse and puncture. I don’t think its an issue at all. Especially since they are lubbed up good with grease. The mousse takes up all the room in the tire and its basically closed cell foam so it doesn’t soak it up. Water will barely get in if at all. My tire had a broken bead and was coming out of the rim. As I didn’t have a spare wheel etc I just rode it that way so I could keep riding. I had no issue with water getting in. And thats a bigger area than a puncture would be.