Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tube troubles! Need help. (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3229)

svt2224 09-02-2008 08:50 AM

Tube troubles! Need help.

I have a 04' ec250 with the DID wheels that has now been renamed the tube mauler. I have been out four time over the last month or so three of which I came home with a flat. I am running a dunlop 803 @ 8psi, Motion pro locks (2), and Moose HD tubes. I marked the wheel and tire and I know that the tire is not moving. Do you guys know how I can keep from ripping the valve stems out.

Thanks
Jason

JoshP 09-02-2008 10:16 AM

You are ripping the stems? It doesn't sounds right for the tire not to move and still rip your stem off. You are certain your spokes are nice and snug and not piercing the tube? I usually don't tighten down my stem nuts so that the tube can move a little without damaging it. I notice the tube will move more but never breaks the stem. I will just tighten the nut up against the stem cap just to keep the cap snug. Hope it helps.

svt2224 09-02-2008 11:26 AM

Yes, it the stem that is being ripped off. I have left the retainer nut loose on all of the tubes and they all end up tilted and pulled tightly against the rim. Before I went out last Sat. I straitened the stem out and within 20mi it was pulled tightly againts the rim, it is not flat yet but I would not be comfortable taking it to far from the truck.

Thanks
Jason

eff 09-02-2008 12:29 PM

Try running more than 8 psi. My guess is that the tube is rotating inside the tire.

bergerhag 09-02-2008 12:38 PM

the tyre is probably flexing a bit with that low pressure, and the tube might be hooking up inside and gradually increasing the stress on the valve stem.
Put some baby powder in your tyre before putting in the tube.

WoodsRider 09-02-2008 01:23 PM

When I first started running a trials tire, on my '01 XC300, I found that the tire/tube would creep at anything less than 12 psi. And that was using 2 Motion Pro rim locks with a Bridgestone UHD tube. On my '03 EC300 I'm back to using one MP rim lock and 12 psi. Yes, with lower pressures, a trials tire gets a lot better grip, but you have to sacrifice some of that "exceptional grip" since trials tires aren't really designed for enduro bike applications.

blitz11 09-02-2008 04:07 PM

Go with Talon Rim locks. They actually dig into the sidewall rather than relying on a friction between the two rubber entities (the tire and the rubber rim locks). Some rim locks use a serrated side, but nothing compares to the Talon rim lock. The talons use an aggressive pattern to grab the tire.

svt2224 09-02-2008 07:47 PM

I'm not having a problem with the tire itself moving, it has stayed right on the mark. I had a feeling that the tire psi was my problem but the traction was so good at 8psi I wanted to find some other fix. I have been using armor all but I will give the baby powder a shot. Do you think that a std. weight tube would be less likely to move?

HydroDog 09-02-2008 08:58 PM

Jason,
I've been running the same combo as you and had the same problem with the valve stem. I finely just tightened down the stem nuts and never had a problem since for the last 1000 mi.
The 803 has a stiffer side wall than the IRC and Michilin which leads to the lower air pressure and more tube creep. When my 803 dies I will switch back to the IRC

Nick 09-02-2008 10:24 PM

The armorall is probably letting the tube slide inside the tire as there is no friction to hold it in place. I've seen tubes that stretched by a couple inches in lengh inside of a tire. Ditch the lube.