Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ? on exhaust for 2010 EC300 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7754)

john01 08-16-2010 07:17 AM

? on exhaust for 2010 EC300

Hey guys I just got my new EC300 and I am having a blast on the bike. I was wondering if anyone has tried an FMF Fatty or Gnarly exhaust on one and if so what did you think? Thanks, John.

biggstr6 08-16-2010 09:00 AM

I don't know about the 2010's ,but my 08 came stock with a gnarly. Works great on mine

But then again,(and i dont know if it matters or not) mine came with the lighter ignition. So I dont know how much I do to mine will translate to the same effects on yours since you've got the heavier ignition.

john01 08-16-2010 01:09 PM

This exhaust has an exposed raised seam down it and it has Gas Gas stamped on it so I don't hink it's a FMF pipe. I'm just not sure how long the finish would last on this exhaust. BTW I have no complaints on the power I love it.

GMP 08-16-2010 07:22 PM

Keep the stock pipe its the best, good power spread and heavy gauge like a Gnarly. Mine is three years old and has a few surface rust spots but thats it, better than the Gnarlys and Fattys I have had.

nambo-trev 08-16-2010 07:31 PM

its not an fmf pipe but if i were you i would keep the stock pipe and if you want upgrade the silencer, your not going to notice a difference with a fmf pipe, just my 2 cents.

john01 08-16-2010 10:19 PM

Cool thanks for the info guys.

gg3 08-17-2010 12:34 AM

congrats on the bike.My old 2002 ec300 had a messico pipe,a bit more zip & lighter but the standard pipes really are good on the new ones.You need more power?!I've only just started riding mine on the man mode switch(as opposed to pussy mode).

john01 08-17-2010 04:37 AM

Thanks gg3 I really love the bike. No I don't need more power I was just wondering how long the finish would lst on the stock sysytem. I have a FMF Fatty on my 08 CR125 Husky that still looks like new and I picked it up second hand.

GMP 08-17-2010 05:30 AM

The GG pipe, as well as the new FMFs for the new bikes, are very much like the Messico or Doma, with a better spread and higher run out than the traditional Gnarly. The old Gnarlys on pre '07 EC300s yank too hard off the bottom and then sign off early, making the bike more tiring and harder to ride.

john01 08-17-2010 07:21 AM

So the new FMF Gnarly would be ok on a 2010 EC 300 or would a Fatty be a better choice?

noobi 08-17-2010 01:14 PM

gnarly and fatty are the same shape of pipe, but gnarly is made of thicker steel

john01 08-17-2010 02:51 PM

Thanks I did not know that. I thought the gnarly was for bottom end power and the Fatty more for mid range.

GMP 08-17-2010 05:45 PM

That was true of the original Gnarly concept by FMF, the newer GG pipes are the same. Even as far back as '03 they were the same, I blew a couple hundred $$ and found that out.

tnttimber 08-17-2010 08:26 PM

GMP. I have a FMF Gnarly that came on my 08 ec300, what kind of power change could I expect if I put on a stock 2010 GG pipe? And John, I would like a bike comparison between your 09 WR300 and your new gasser.

Nate

Brian 08-17-2010 10:11 PM

I agree run the stock pipe till it is no longer fixable...FMF does not appear to offer any gains on our bikes.

swazi_matt 08-17-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 47414)
I agree run the stock pipe till it is no longer fixable...FMF does not appear to offer any gains on our bikes.

This is the problem with GG, i am really finding it difficult to improve it .... WHY OH WHY DID THEY HAVE TO THINK SO DAMN HARD WHEN THEY DESIGNED IT!!!

gg3 08-17-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 47415)
This is the problem with GG, i am really finding it difficult to improve it .... WHY OH WHY DID THEY HAVE TO THINK SO DAMN HARD WHEN THEY DESIGNED IT!!!

When you compare to the japanese brands(still great bikes) ,the gassers are similar price,cheaper than some.So the jap bike manufacturers must be making a killing considering the scale of sales they make!I now the dealers aren't.

GMP 08-18-2010 04:17 AM

I cannot speak from personal experience with '08/'10s, but the '08 Gnarly was supposed to be modeled after the GG /Doma/Messico pipes (all similar)like on my '07, which gives a nice broad, smooth spread of power with good overrev. So I would say its a wash and don't bother unless you need to replace for damage reasons.

john01 08-18-2010 04:38 AM

Thanks GMP for the info. Nate I don't have a 09 WR 300. I almost got one but the Gas Gas 300 ended up comming home to me. I sold my 09 TXC 510 Husky and the only other Husky I have now is an 08 CR125. The comparison to that is, The 125 feels/is lighter when taking it off the stand but once in motion they feel almost the same.... until you add throttle LOL.:D

tnttimber 08-18-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john01 (Post 47423)
Thanks GMP for the info. Nate I don't have a 09 WR 300. I almost got one but the Gas Gas 300 ended up comming home to me. I sold my 09 TXC 510 Husky and the only other Husky I have now is an 08 CR125. The comparison to that is, The 125 feels/is lighter when taking it off the stand but once in motion they feel almost the same.... until you add throttle LOL.:D

Sorry John, tought I read on Cafe Husky you had a wr300.

john01 08-18-2010 10:55 AM

Thats ok Nate I almost had one but when it was known the frames wern't going to change I took a chance on the GG. I this point I couldn't be happier!

tnttimber 08-18-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john01 (Post 47437)
Thats ok Nate I almost had one but when it was known the frames wern't going to change I took a chance on the GG. I this point I couldn't be happier!

Im right there with you, was realy hoping to see the new frame on the Husk. Im going to keep riding my 08 ec300 and might pick up a leftover 2010 gasser at the end of the year.

Skidad 08-18-2010 02:48 PM

Anyone know what the 2011 US spec bikes are getting for a pipe? FMF Gnarly like previous years or the GG stamped pipe?

What pipe came on the 2010 bikes in the US anyway?

Are all the new bikes now getiing the Q Stealth silencer?

nambo-trev 08-18-2010 04:42 PM

every pic ive seen on every gasser sight for 2011 has gasgas pipe with a q-stealth on them.

john01 08-18-2010 07:23 PM

My 10 came with the GG stamped and FMF q-stealth.

hasslbri 08-19-2010 08:39 PM

I better chime in. (300) I have tried ALL of the pipes thanks to GoFasters. Here is how I would rate the power on them and I have ridden them all back to back.

The stocker (gas gas stamped on the side) It is probably the toughest pipe made for the gas gas. It is also by far the hardest hitting of all the pipes. It is a mostly low to mid pipe and has very little over rev. This is a wheelie pipe for sure.

The FMF is what FMF considers a fairly close copy of the Doma. You guys are correct. Pre 07 they were more of a knarly (low to mid pipe). The newer one is softer off the bottom but is smoother through out and has ok over rev.

The SPES is a one of my favorites. It is very soft off the bottom, very smooth through the middle, and revs out great on top.

The Doma, which is my favorite by far, is the smoothest from bottom to top with virtually no hit anywhere yet is revs higher than any other pipe I have tried to date (almost 125 like). Unfort. it is the made of a weak paper like product they pass as steel. I also, cannot find them anymore after mine got cut up by FMF.

Currently I have a sweet French pipe (Have no clue who makes it) and that seems to make very doma-like power. It seems fairly tough. The only problem with this pipe is it looks so cool I don't want to destroy it.

Keep in mind, these are all for a 300 with the head and carb done. I am not a fan of big hit and I think the 300's already have plenty of power of the bottom regardless of the exhaust. I am willing to trade low for top in order to make it as electric as possible.

Brian

john01 08-19-2010 08:49 PM

Thanks for your input Brian. I think I keep the stocker for now and pick up an FMF when this one get banged up. Or I may see where to get a SPES pipe if I can find one.

aflica 08-21-2010 07:36 AM

The 2010 Bikes have a different shape pipe on them , they have more ground clearance now , so the pipe has a tighter bend to it. FMF has the 2009 and 2010 listed as the same part # 02095 , i haven't tried my FMF that i have still from my 2009 , but i have been TOLD by another Nambo owner around here that they dont just bolt right on. The mounting tab on the lower front needs to be moved apparently. Like i said , i haven't tried it with mine. i do know that the pipe is quite a bit different now , as the Hyde for the 2009 bikes , which is what i have , had a huge gap under it , because of the shape change. I reduced the gap with a little heat gun work and my floor jack , but the gap was about 2 to 2 1/2" in places before i went to work on it. i have it down to about an inch now. Long story short , FMF has NOT made a new pipe for the 2010's YET , but they may fit on with a little work. I agree with the majority here tho , the GG pipe is outstanding and i wont change mine till i need too. Another thing to note , and this may be Nambo and TTX specific , but the tail end of the pipe where it goes under the Shock Reservoir is VERY VERY tight to the Reservoir with about 1/8 inch clearance from day one of the bike being new. Thats where im keeping my eye on after every ride to make sure the 2 don't touch. So far , no movement , even after a couple of good hard log crossing smacks. I love the Hyde far better than any Carbon Fibre , they are shovels , but they do work good

PEB 08-21-2010 09:02 AM

I would have thought they fixed that. My 07 has a very tight clearance right there, in fact they are held apart by a thick piece of rubber.

Brian- post some pics of the cool french pipe. I agree that SPES pipe was sweet till I smashed it. I like the new FMF but hated the old one.

swazi_matt 11-16-2010 01:33 AM

Can anyone confirm if the 2010 FMF gnarly has been remade for the 2010 300 bikes?

There is also a price difference of about $100 between an OEM pipe and the FMF. which means for the same money (almost) i can get an fmf and a p3 pipe guard

I ride a lot of tight technical climbs and am thinking of entering the roof of africa extreme enduro next year so am looking for a pipe that has good bottom end, should i be looking at the OEM pipe or the FMF?