Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New EC 250 98 owner (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24629)

Iconkj91 07-30-2019 03:36 PM

New EC 250 98 owner

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. Just bought a 250 ec from 98. With titles. That was th? reason i bought th? bike.

I'm from Belgium. Bought the bike yesterday but it didn't want to start. Pulled the cylinder because i felt it was lacking compression. I was right. Piston doesn't look good. No worries. I was planning a full rebuild anyway. I looked online for Parts availability and it looks good. Am i right thinking this? I'm looking forward riding the bike. Got a KTM Lc4 640sm as daily driver.

Greetings,
Kjelly

Pygmygod 07-31-2019 05:51 AM

Wow, that looks rooted!

Does pinging/pre-detonation cause those chunks taken out of the top of the piston?

Or a bit of broken metal or debris in the combustion chamber?

Davehuge 07-31-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconkj91 (Post 191287)
Piston doesn't look good.

Congratulations on your new bike.

If the piston looks like that how does the cylinder/barrel look?

What about the crankshaft big end and main bearings?

All the best, Dave.

Iconkj91 07-31-2019 11:35 AM

Barrel looks fine. Light scratches so a light hone Will be enough i think. We Will see what th? machine shop Will say.

I Found little pieces of metal so i Will rebuild crank and bearings. Full rebuild. Am i right about all the Parts still available? Been thinking about replacing th? power valve as wel.

Davehuge 07-31-2019 01:48 PM

Wow, with that kind of damage to the piston, you're lucky the barrel isn't damaged. :)

I have a 2004 EC300 and don't have any problems getting parts, as far as I know you shouldn't have a problem getting parts for your 1998 bike.

I recently fitted a new piston kit made by S3 Racing and I used a full gasket set made by Athena. I'm very happy with the price and quality of both.

I'm not sure if it's worth spending money replacing the power valve (unless it's damaged). I don't think the power valve really wears, it may just need a good clean.

I would definitely check wheel bearings/seals, chain and sprockets, the rear suspension linkage bearings/seals and the swinging arm pivot bearings/seals.

Good luck with your new bike, Dave.

hadfield4wd 08-01-2019 05:59 AM

I have a '99. No problem with parts either. I just got a new piston and had the barrel replated. Going to put it together this weekend.

Iconkj91 08-05-2019 04:00 PM

Thanks you guys!

Been looking a bit closer to the cylinder and it is shot.
I Found some cylinders in Germany and that will be cheaper then a new nicasil. Only thing i don't Know is if there are any differences between the manufacturing year. On some sites it says all cylinders from 98 tot 15 Will fit, others say 98-99 for example.

Can some of you guys help me out here?

Thanks