Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Techniques & Training (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   good ole arm pump (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16326)

gassergrant 12-12-2013 03:53 PM

good ole arm pump

hi been banging the gym doing strength and coordination training but still get arm pump and out of 20 min session at a mx track I can only manage 10-15 mins.

I spoke to some lad at the track and he said about magnesium supplements but has anyone got any tips or tricks they use please :confused:

grant

Simmo737 12-12-2013 04:48 PM

This is what I've tried on natural terrain mx tracks, I hope it helps but not much does.

1: thin single density grips

2: magnesium powder (day b4 and during)

3: mid height bar, mid sweep ( Wyndham reed, or stock gasser bend is ok, low straight good for trails not track)

4: steg pegz on my husqvarna

5: not standing so much on mx track ( watch u.s outdoors on YouTube ) set up early for corners, sit through main acceleration zone and let the bumps pop you back up if needed.

6: set the controls ( brake clutch lever) a little higher than trail riding ( maybe 15 to 20 degs below level at most)

7: mentally tell myself to loosen up b4 jumps or whoops, otherwise you squeeze the bar so hard it's rediculous, and you stop yourself from centering in the air, I breathe out just b4 a difficult section and make sure I breathe lightly after I've hit it.

8: share the load with your legs and bum, grip with them, use the seat grip and lean forward with your head (sounds dumb, but it works)

9: ride a higher gear and abuse the clutch like hell.

I do all this and it adds up to about as much as riding a bike with mx suspension, that's why they are so stiff, because you need it. I'm still crap and get arm pump but not as bad.

Bandit9 12-12-2013 05:17 PM

Warm up with jumping jacks or push ups or mtn bike ride or all three. Get sweaty.You have to get blood flowing. Can't just go from 0 to wide open in 100ft. Lot of anxiety is in play as well. Also, relax and breath, focus on being loose with your grip and with your legs. You get tight with either one and you will pump up. Arm pump is more of a mental issue than anyone wants to admit.

bowhunter007 12-12-2013 07:35 PM

I find I rarely get arm pump...unless I'm very nervous. Got it real bad my first couple races. I had so much fun...anxiety went away, and so did the arm pump.

Rick 12-12-2013 10:19 PM

Breath.....relax the death grip......try to relax....I have to tell myself to breath and relax during a race, you'd be surprised!

twowheels 12-12-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gassergrant (Post 124148)
hi been banging the gym doing strength and coordination training but still get arm pump and out of 20 min session at a mx track I can only manage 10-15 mins.

I spoke to some lad at the track and he said about magnesium supplements but has anyone got any tips or tricks they use please :confused:

grant

I used to suffer the dreaded arm-pump, but not so much any more. Too much strength training may be having a negative effect on the situation - the best thing I've found is to stretch on the way to the track, then warm up by doing a low-to-mid intensity short practice. Squeeze your arms out, restretch, and get back at it.

As far as grips go I'm a fan of the big ProGrip Rallys - they're so big you can't clench your hand in a death grip. Oh, and don't forget to breath ...

gassergrant 12-13-2013 02:09 PM

Cheers for the info guys, some good stuff there thanks
Thinking main reason is my bike is too big for my fittness so maybe worth down sizing
I will look in to the grips etc and eat some bananas too lol. I dont really ride as much as I woukd like to and dont have the confidance in myself with big ass jumps not saying im crap lol
Would it be worth maybe having some lessons on how to ride a track properly.
Im out tomorrow at my local mx track ant will apply some of the stuff mentioned.

Would it be worth looking to see if my bike is set ie suspension

Thanks Grant :)

desertgasser300 12-13-2013 02:26 PM

The more seat time you can get the better. No better training for your sport than actually doing it. The more time you spend on the bike the more you start to relax and learn how to hold on and move your body with it.

gassergrant 12-13-2013 03:23 PM

Oh very true the mate

Jakobi 12-13-2013 04:02 PM

I agree with all of the above.

With any exercise I find it really hard to start but once up to speed and fully warmed you break through the threshold and are good to go all day. Warm up. Do something to bring the cardio up and let the body know what its in for. It'll adapt much better.

Seat time. Works like no other!

I have tried suppliments etc but I don't find them nearly as beneficial as just breathing and letting the bars fall into the hands. Also if you have body armour/pressure suit/elbow guards that are tight around that area they can also really restrict the blood flow and pump you up.