Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bike is too tall! Any suggestions (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24883)

gasser 12-20-2019 01:26 AM

Bike is too tall! Any suggestions

I'm picking up a used 2018 300 gasser which I am told is about 1.5 inches taller than my 2011 bike so my plan is to lower it 1-1.5 inches on both ends. Please give me info on where to have this done. Thanks

rodent 12-20-2019 01:29 AM

How tall are you brother?

stabak 12-20-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasser (Post 193155)
I'm picking up a used 2018 300 gasser which I am told is about 1.5 inches taller than my 2011 bike so my plan is to lower it 1-1.5 inches on both ends. Please give me info on where to have this done. Thanks

Zetaracing has a lowering link kit for both ends of about 3cm.
bought them myself but still do not know if I should use them or not.
Maybe on the first fork oil change cause I m still low on hours

gasgasman 12-20-2019 06:42 AM

Seat concepts has a low seat option that works well.

Zman 12-20-2019 07:58 AM

If you do the lowering links option you need to drop the front end a corresponding amount or the front end will push badly in corners. You can do this by raising the forks in the triple clamps or by using internal travel limiting spacers. Your handle bar height will limit how far you can raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps.

I am not sure what size tire is on your bike now, but you may be able to lower the bike with shorter tires. If you can lower it enough with a seat mod and tire change you can keep the suspension at full length.

gasser 12-20-2019 07:02 PM

I don't race and I don't ride on mx tracks so losing an inch of travel at each end is no big deal - it would still have twice as much travel as dirtbikes had 50 years ago when I started riding. I will add thicker seat foam since I ride sitting most of the time. I will get the front fork lowered internally. I'm thinking the same for the rear since I've never liked my results with longer linkage rods. Any suggestions on where to get the suspension work done?

gasgasman 12-20-2019 07:23 PM

I sit a lot too.
The low SeatConcepts foam is just the right density.

(F5) 12-21-2019 12:41 PM

Has anyone worked out where the extra height comes from in comparison? I'm stuck in a timewarp with my 07. That said with a 17 carb, SSS forks etc I love it to bits. But it is getting older.

I rode a mates 15 , we had added a bit more preload that time before i rode it. It was a short ride, i almost fell off trying to dab and not really making contact till it was a bit far over. Embarrassing.

swazi_matt 12-22-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasser (Post 193172)
I don't race and I don't ride on mx tracks so losing an inch of travel at each end is no big deal - it would still have twice as much travel as dirtbikes had 50 years ago when I started riding. I will add thicker seat foam since I ride sitting most of the time. I will get the front fork lowered internally. I'm thinking the same for the rear since I've never liked my results with longer linkage rods. Any suggestions on where to get the suspension work done?

from talking to suspension guys i believe this is the best option (unless you looking to change the handling, maybe for drag racing)

blitz11 01-07-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasser (Post 193172)

https://norwestsuspension.com/03-crf450r-lowered

Terry at Norwest suspension does suspension lowering. I did some work on my 2002 300, and he was able to provide parts for the Ohlins and WP forks on my bike. I did springs (becoming heavier), seals, bushing on both fork and shock. He was great.