Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Review of RB Design (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1259)

LAWMAN 07-12-2007 09:35 AM

Review of RB Design

this is a quick report on the service I experienced with a sponsor of the site, Ron of RB Design.

I wanted to get some work done on a carb for 1 of those "other" European bikes, the orange 1s. I had seen Ron's link while lurking on here, so I gave him a try.

it was a terrific experience! Ron went out of his way to be helpful with free advice, & even some free extra parts that my carb, which I had bought used, turned out to be missing. he went out of his way to expedite the turn-around & the shipping for me. on top of all that, the mod did exactly what it was intended to do, & the cost was more than fair.

I will use his service again, & recommend him to anyone who is thinking of getting work done.

(to mods: if this should go to another forum, sorrry, please move it).

Bandit9 07-12-2007 12:19 PM

So what exactly did the "mod" do?

LAWMAN 07-12-2007 04:23 PM

Chris,

I bought a used extra 36mm Keihin PWK, to get it bored out to get more rev on an '07 300 w/o losing rideability on the bottom. I kept my stock carb stock just in case.

here's the funny part that I left out of the original post: I meant to use Dick's to do this, but I had not realized that he does it only in conjunction w/ the dial-a-jet, which makes it more than I wanted to spend. I had seen Ron's explanation on here of how to measure squish, which impressed me, & had linked to his price list & saw that he'd do it much cheaper; he installs a vane to compensate for the extra bore size, instead of the D-A-J.

he bored the carb to 38mm, & added the vane & ground down the slide for low end response. he tracked down some spare parts from his brother & expedited it all to me, & it performs exactly as advertised, even a little better: it is a little more responsive off the bottom, & revs out way better. he was truly a pleasure to deal with, & he answered all of my questions promptly, on what had to have been a relatively small job for him. great result + super service, not always a common thing in the m/c hop-up biz.

Boomhauer 07-12-2007 06:19 PM

Yep Ron does an awesome job. I got to test his new carb tricks for him and wow!

Chris you need to send him your carb and do the squish mod. You won't be sorry.

My bike is so much smoother now.:D

Bandit9 07-13-2007 11:12 AM

Have ya'll noticed how much it has effected the gas mileage?

The guy that I bought my 250 from has done a lot to get more responsive bottom end. It has the double PowerNow setup, added a V Force, powervalve spacer, had the head milled down a little to increase compression, Gnarly pipe, and there was something else too, I just can't think of it.

Bottom line is that it looks like the only option left to get more bottom with boring it out, will be to bore the carb and shave the slide.

GMP 07-13-2007 01:51 PM

What do you mean by powervalve spacer?

If you mean reed spacer, take it out.

Jetting?

Base gasket?

CDI? (dual or single)

Vforce 2 or 3, and if 2 in what position?

Bandit9 07-13-2007 03:04 PM

Power Valve spacer, like the one from LTR.

I am looking at the bike right now, it is a V Force 3, AND I just noticed it appears to have a spacer on it too. I will remove that pronto. That might do the trick.

It is jetted nice and crisp. That is what he focused on first. When he had it as perfect as it could be, then he moved on to the motor and reed valve.

I will report back after I ride it tomorrow without that reed valve spacer.