Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   VIN Decoder (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8199)

stuckinatree 11-12-2010 10:02 AM

VIN Decoder

Anyone have access to a VIN decoder site? I recently bought a EC 250 and need to figure out what year it is (it is between 2003-2006).

Thanks,

Brian

djroggen 11-12-2010 03:32 PM

The VIN will go like this

(VTR)All Start (EC2000)Model (D) Year Code (01) Month (3) Year (4023) Serial Number

Year code starts with 2000 with letter A, so 2008 are a letter J. I is not included to avoid confusion. So this is a Enduro 200 From 2003, Made January 2003 with a Serial number 4023. With 450s the model is Usually FS450E then the Year Code. Hope this helps!!!

MattR 11-12-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuckinatree (Post 51275)
Anyone have access to a VIN decoder site? I recently bought a EC 250 and need to figure out what year it is (it is between 2003-2006).

Thanks,

Brian

Post the first 10 digits and we can decode it for you. Some used letters to denote the model year, while others had a number. If I recall, those years used a letter.

mattholew 01-01-2011 07:50 PM

Hey guys. I need help decoding mime.

I just picked up a project ec200 from a buddy and want to make sure I'm getting parts for the right year model.

VTRXC200103010073

Thanks.

MattR 01-01-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattholew (Post 54025)
Hey guys. I need help decoding mime.

I just picked up a project ec200 from a buddy and want to make sure I'm getting parts for the right year model.

VTRXC200103010073

Thanks.

VIN Decoder:
1st, 2nd, and 3rd digits = Region/Country/Manufacturer
4th to 8th digits = Model
9th digit = Check digit or place holder
10th digit = Year (Note: some European VIN's use letters. 2000 = "0" or "A")
11th digit = Assembly plant
12th to 17th = Serial number

VTR XC200 1 0 3 010073
I highlighted the important digits in red.
You have a "XC200" and the model year is "2000".

The earlier XC's were brought into the USA with the lighter weight 2K-2 ignition and abbreviated wiring loom. No turn signals or horn, but did have a headlight and taillight will single toggle switch for the lights (typically mounted on the headlight shell).

EDIT: Don't forget to update your member profile with your location. It will help us answer your regional questions better in the future.

Welcome aboard!

Swervin 03-20-2011 08:01 PM

Vin

How about this one?
VTRUS309905990047
?
Doesn"t seem to follow the rules too closely.:confused:
believe it's a 2000 model EC300,but has the 50 mm conventional fork?
What is it?

Jim Cook 05-23-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swervin (Post 59802)
How about this one?
VTRUS309905990047
?
Doesn"t seem to follow the rules too closely.:confused:
believe it's a 2000 model EC300,but has the 50 mm conventional fork?
What is it?

I believe it is a '99 EC300. The 30 stands for 300 and the 99 is the year model. The numbers toward the end denote the number/order of the bike in that year's manufacturing run.

You can tell for sure by the shrouds/seat it takes, unless the frame has been modified; same with position of the coil.

In 2002, the factory started using the standard system with a letter in the tenth digit position.

Diedrix 06-27-2013 09:16 AM

Ok I'm having a little trouble.

VIN: VTRXC3000C0910036

From the previous posts I'm able to assume this is a 2002 XC300, but the title says it's an EC300. I'm wondering which is right / wrong and how to verify what I have. I'll keep looking on the forum but this was the first thread I found on my search so decided to try for a quicker answer then diving through the archive.

Thanks,
Aaron

jhendr3702 06-27-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diedrix (Post 114928)
Ok I'm having a little trouble.

VIN: VTRXC3000C0910036

From the previous posts I'm able to assume this is a 2002 XC300, but the title says it's an EC300. I'm wondering which is right / wrong and how to verify what I have. I'll keep looking on the forum but this was the first thread I found on my search so decided to try for a quicker answer then diving through the archive.

Thanks,
Aaron

my 01 was the same way. i always assumed it was an xc. never really figured out which one it was..
it had ec on the rad shouds and xc on the swing arm..

Jim Cook 06-27-2013 10:11 AM

This is my understanding on the subject.

GasGas started using the 10th digit to denote the year model in 2002, which would put a "C" in that year's Vin at the 10th position. Before that, the 8th or 9th position digit would denote year model.

The early year (including "early" 2002) EC models were street legal in 52 countries around the world. However, Don Knight wanted to get a bike over here that was both less expensive than the "world model EC", and was more oriented to expert level off-road racing in the US, as the Knights interpreted it.
This was accomplished by the bikes coming to the US with an abbreviated wiring harness, smaller 35w ignition, FMF pipes, and the loss of street equipment (turn signals, etc).

A true XC would have the MX frame, which is easy to tell by the lack of a steering head lock.

Once GasGas North America split with GasGas Spain, and GasGas Motors of America started importing the bikes and parts (winter of 2001/2002), at first only the "world model" 2002 EC was imported. Due to dealer requests, the factory later started outfitting and sending to the US the "DE" models (Dealer Edition) that were very close to the former XC or SE models. (with true MX frames and MX suspension, with the "gold series" shock with high and low speed compression adjustment)

note:
The SE bikes were XC bikes with special Ohlins forks, gold series Ohlins shocks, higher compression MX heads, gold barkbusters, and customer personalized suspension. I believe that gasgasman had one of these. My son Josh bought a used one, which I raced in a couple of enduros.
The ECO models were simply the bikes equipped with Ohlins forks.

The customization of the bikes for the US market was the cause of the confusion over the designations vs the Vin numbers.

I hope that that helped.

Good Riding!
Jim

nknudsen 06-27-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cook (Post 114940)
This is my understanding on the subject.

GasGas started using the 10th digit to denote the year model in 2002, which would put a "C" in that year's Vin at the 10th position. Before that, the 8th or 9th position digit would denote year model.

The early year (including "early" 2002) EC models were street legal in 52 countries around the world. However, Don Knight wanted to get a bike over here that was both less expensive than the "world model EC", and was more oriented to expert level off-road racing in the US, as the Knights interpreted it.
This was accomplished by the bikes coming to the US with an abbreviated wiring harness, smaller 35w ignition, FMF pipes, and the loss of street equipment (turn signals, etc).

A true XC would have the MX frame, which is easy to tell by the lack of a steering head lock.

Once GasGas North America split with GasGas Spain, and GasGas Motors of America started importing the bikes and parts (winter of 2001/2002), at first only the "world model" 2002 EC was imported. Due to dealer requests, the factory later started outfitting and sending to the US the "DE" models (Dealer Edition) that were very close to the former XC or SE models. (with true MX frames and MX suspension, with the "gold series" shock with high and low speed compression adjustment)

note:
The SE bikes were XC bikes with special Ohlins forks, gold series Ohlins shocks, higher compression MX heads, gold barkbusters, and customer personalized suspension. I believe that gasgasman had one of these. My son Josh bought a used one, which I raced in a couple of enduros.
The ECO models were simply the bikes equipped with Ohlins forks.

The customization of the bikes for the US market was the cause of the confusion over the designations vs the Vin numbers.

I hope that that helped.

Good Riding!
Jim

Is it odd that my 00' EC250 does not have a steering lock? You made note of the mx frame with no lock? My bike has the LH handle bar switch w/ horn, hi/low beam, turn signal and kill button controls. It also has the 2k-3 ignition. The bike was all original.

Jim Cook 06-27-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nknudsen (Post 114944)
Is it odd that my 00' EC250 does not have a steering lock? You made note of the mx frame with no lock? My bike has the LH handle bar switch w/ horn, hi/low beam, turn signal and kill button controls. It also has the 2k-3 ignition. The bike was all original.

In our shop, we stocked and sold all the street legal pieces; so a bike having a switch and street legal gear wasn't that rare. Plus, the XC bikes were not "formalized" until sometimes during the 2000 year model.

No, it's not odd about the frame, either. Don Knight asked the factory to send the US bikes with frames that had no steering locks, since they were street legal bike equipment, and the Factory wasn't interested in complying with the specifications for sending a street legal EC into the US. GasGas did as requested, because they could save time and money on manufacturing the frames (by hand).
For that two or three years, most (not all) of the US bound bikes came with no steering head locks. However, if they had an order and didn't have enough of the desired frame, GasGas would sometimes fill an order for bikes with the other frame.
GasGas North America would install either ignition on a bike ordered by a dealer, depending on which ignition the dealer specified.

For example:
In 2000, I had a customer order a 2000 EC250 with a larger ignition and the older 45mm conventional Marrazocci forks (instead of the 43mmm inverted WP forks most of the US bound 2000 models came equipped with). In response, Don Knight swapped the front ends and ignition with a '99 EC250 that he still had in the shop, and then shipped me what the customer ordered.
The only really oddball thing (to me) was that my customer's bike then had the Brembo front brakes along with the 'Zoke forks, and the Nissin brakes on the rear. Later, another customer bought the '99 EC250 from Don Knight, and I ended up with it as a trade in. I could tell it was the "donor" bike, because of the WP 43mm forks and the Nissin front brakes being on the '99. :)

I hope that I didn't confuse the matter.

Jim

nknudsen 06-27-2013 12:30 PM

That's fun to read about how things were done in years past. Thanks Jim!

What street legal equipment/parts did you offer in the shop?

Jim Cook 06-27-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nknudsen (Post 114955)
That's fun to read about how things were done in years past. Thanks Jim!

What street legal equipment/parts did you offer in the shop?

All the equipment that was supposed to be on the EC, but wasn't, that would have made it street legal in the rest of the world. (switches, turn signals, tail light/license plate holder, tail light, horn, voltage regulator/rectifier, ie. the works.)

Plus, we stocked Trail Tech, and many other DS type accessories, as well as off-road replacement and upgrade parts.

I was a better enthusiast than I was a businessman.

nknudsen 06-27-2013 01:40 PM

Jim, so the switches, brake light switch, horn, tail light & plate holder were all a dealer/owner add on for my US EC?

Why did some bikes have radiator overflow bottles? Mine does not.

What year did you sell the most bikes at your dealership? What was a good yearly average # of bikes sold? Thanks!

Wheelieman69 06-27-2013 01:43 PM

Holy crap I now understand " standardization " No wonder my local dealer gave me the run around when I first got my bike about telling me what year it was etc... I'm really glad this site exists otherwise I would have no idea what year bike I bought and part #'s etc.... Thanks guys... Lol

Wheelieman

Jim Cook 06-27-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nknudsen (Post 114975)
Jim, so the switches, brake light switch, horn, tail light & plate holder were all a dealer/owner add on for my US EC?

Why did some bikes have radiator overflow bottles? Mine does not.

What year did you sell the most bikes at your dealership? What was a good yearly average? Thanks!

Not completely necessarily. Being a 2000, it might have been an early 2000 model, which was imported with the street legal parts, before GGNA had to step around the DOT requirements for importing the bikes as such. Part of why he wanted the bikes "less equipped" was to keep the DOT from getting into his business.

The XC models didn't have the "expansion tanks" (as opposed to an overflow bottle, since they were "in line" and pressureized), but we always kept them in stock. We also always kept the KTM 1.4 bar radiator caps as replacements.
It surprised me when I saw that my 2011 EC250 came with a 1.8 bar radiator cap.
In the spring of 2002, with GGMA (Tampa, FL) doing the importing, the new bikes coming in were more complete, with full wiring harnesses and expansion tanks, and large ignitions, switches, and horns. (No turn signals installed) Basically, they were just stripped enough to not be called street legal, but the horn was loud and the lights bright at idle, with the large ignition.

I don't know exactly when I sold the most bikes. I know that I never sold enough to make a good profit. I also know I wasn't the most popular with all the other dealers, due to shipping bikes to customers in other dealers' areas, and our low prices. We were very aggressive, and offered many services that a lot of other dealers didn't perform.
Until GoFasters came into play, we sold over 30% of the parts in the country.

We just didn't make enough money, and GasGas Spain didn't help, due to their policies and concerns, many of the same problems they cause Clay today. (late delivery of new bikes, etc.)
I still loved, and love today, the bikes. I just had to eventually close the shop so I could make a living.

Jim Cook 06-27-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelieman69 (Post 114976)
Holy crap I now understand " standardization " No wonder my local dealer gave me the run around when I first got my bike about telling me what year it was etc... I'm really glad this site exists otherwise I would have no idea what year bike I bought and part #'s etc.... Thanks guys... Lol

Wheelieman

I suggest that every GasGas owner go to the www.GasGasmotos.es web site and download several different years' parts files, so as to be able to look at and compare numbers between years. There are some mistakes, and some of the drawings make various parts look obscure, but it really helps me when I order parts. I still have the parts books, but heavily rely on the computer files of the books.

It really helps to have the part numbers when making an order.
If it gets confusing, I will do what I can to help anyone out.

Rick 06-27-2013 02:32 PM

It's great having Jim around....

Wheelieman69 06-27-2013 02:36 PM

Thank you for your help Jim ! All is greatly appreciated ..

Wheelieman

Diedrix 06-28-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cook (Post 114940)

No steering head lock found. Safe to say this is an XC300?

Jim Cook 06-29-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diedrix (Post 115038)
No steering head lock found. Safe to say this is an XC300?

I believe so.
And, from the Vin number, my best guess is that it was one of the earlier 2002 XC300 that was made for the US. As such, it should have come with the smaller ignition.
I missed whether you specified which ignition it has (if it still has the original ignition set-up).
It's easy to tell at a glance, as the wires come out of the case in the front of the flywheel with the smaller ignition, and the wires come out to the rear with the larger ignition.

One of the neat things about the Gassers is that they are "infinitely rebuildable". It is fairly easy and relatively inexpensive to keep them in great working shape. I've got a very good friend riding the enduros in Washington on his 2004 ECO300. He rides hard, with a big grin on his face.

Jim Cook 06-29-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 114981)
It's great having Jim around....

I just saw this. Thank you Rick, and ya'll are welcome to whatever help I can give. I sure don't know it all, but I'll share what I think I know. :)
I benefit from a lot of good information on here, too. So I want to give back what I can.

Good Riding!
Jim

MrMatt 07-02-2013 03:20 PM

Ok......what do I have????

vtrec30000420762

Jim Cook 07-03-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMatt (Post 115319)
vtrec30000420762

A 2000 year model EC300 is my best guess, without looking at the bike.

Is the airbox "pre-side door" (side door for the airbox started with 2001 year model), but the bike has the 2000 and later tank and seat?

MrMatt 07-03-2013 07:05 PM

PIx

I will get a couple of pix of it and post them. I am just lost when it comes to these bikes. I am still learing. Thank you for taking the time to help. Matt

mayates76 08-06-2013 03:17 AM

VIN check.

VTREC259911080494.

Thanks.

Jim Cook 08-06-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayates76 (Post 117138)
VTREC259911080494.

Thanks.

I believe that you have a '99 EC250, or at least it started that way.

compmoto 01-17-2014 06:42 PM

just saw this ...

do the trials models use the same basic system ?
I have a client's TXT280 Pro that she wants to sell... it was sold to her as a 2009 model
The VIN is : VTRGG2803K0630143
K= ? ... 09 ?, from previous posts I read ..
thanx for any help ...

I had already posted about this in another section, before I found this ...:o

jprizz 06-17-2014 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My VIN doesn't quite follow the rules:
VTRECH2C49G400024

It was sold to me by the original owner as a 2009 and even though its red now he said it was a white Six Days version - which my swing arm stickers and side air box covers seem to agree with.

and can anyone tell me what forks came with the Six Days version? Mine don't match the pics I've seen so far. Forgive me I'm new to GasGas and the forum.
Thanks

gasmonkey 06-17-2014 06:02 PM

They're either the zoke 45 or more likely the sachs 48.To be sure measure the shiny shaft below the seal/wiper.

10411 02-01-2015 10:12 PM

Hi there, wondering if anyone can help with my VIN number - VRTFS4000C0720921
Thanks very much.

Jim Cook 02-01-2015 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10411 (Post 147598)
Hi there, wondering if anyone can help with my VIN number - VRTFS4000C0720921
Thanks very much.

It's a 2002 FSE 400.
http://www.gasgasmotos.es/image/motos/02ec400.jpg

The FS is for 4-stroke.
400 is for 400cc.
Prior to 2002, the VIN number digit in that position would be part of the year number. In 2002, GasGas decided to conform to the US VIN code regulations and made the tenth digit a letter; instead of having it as the second digit of the year identifier.
"C" stands for the year 2002, as shown in your VIN.

I think the rest of the numbers, at least the ones at the end, have to do with the production number.

You can use this parts book, since they didn't do any real updates till the 2005 miodel, but I don't currently see the download of the engine workshop manual.

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/es/modelos...al_es.pdf.html

The update for your bike that really counted was to the 2004 Exhaust cam assembly.
There was also an update for the starter gear assembly.

Good Riding to You!
Jim

10411 02-02-2015 03:59 AM

Thanks for your reply Jim.
How/where do I find out more info about the two updates you mention and determine if they have been done.
Appreciate you help.

Jim Cook 02-02-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10411 (Post 147613)
Thanks for your reply Jim.
How/where do I find out more info about the two updates you mention and determine if they have been done.
Appreciate you help.

Some of the early model FSE400 engines had an exhaust cam with a faulty decompression pin, which didn't reduce the compression enough for the starter to rotate fast enough for the bike to start. Mine, as it came from the factory, had to also be kicked over as I pushed the start button.

If it starts easily and well with the electric starter, the exhaust cam should be fine. The first FSE400 I set up for a customer was great. So great, in fact, that I got another for my self.
Mine was a problem. So much so that I finally carried it to the importer 750 miles away and had them supply me with an updated exhaust cam and reset my throttle position sensor. (It took me less than 20 minutes to change the exhaust cam and them only five minutes to reset the TPS.)

The starter gear upgrade consists of replacing the '02 intermediate starter gear with one which had some "give" in it's assembly, in case the engine backfired during the starting process. This protected the starter clutch assembly.
The new gear gave a better ratio to help the electric starter, and was made a little differently.

The easiest way to tell, if possible, would be to ask the previous owner(s). Other than that, a visual inspection would let you know, if you can get a photo of the part.
(I don't know how descriptive the drawing of the part is in the parts book, and I just found out that the GasGas web site doesn't have any parts books available for your engine. The link I gave you turned out to be for an owners' manual.)

I will try to locate an engine shop manual download for you, and also a download of parts book while i am looking. It may be a while, since most of my downloaded manuals were on a now defunct computer. (I saved the hard drives.)

I also have the part numbers for the starter gear upgrade pieces on a scan somewhere that i will try to locate for you.

It if starts and runs well, you are probably good already.

The Magnetti Marelli fuel injection and engine management system can be diagnosed by a Triumph, Moto Guzzi, or Harley dealer. (from what I've been told.) The cpu for the system is a P15 (if my memory serves me correctly.)

The only other issue I had with the bike, long term, was the starter. Being down low and in the front, it was subject to a lot of splash and an occasional submerging. I took mine apart and cleaned and greased the brushes; and replaced the rubber plug with a plug I made of "Quick Steel" (now sold as J&B Weld). Also, it is a Yamaha spec starter that has had the stud for the positive electric wire relocated. (that is the reason for the rubber plug.) This location will let the stud/bolt rotate when disconnecting/reconnecting the hot wire to the starter. Don't let it rotate, as it can break the wire inside the starter. (I restrained the bolt as I backed off the nut when disconnecting or reconnecting the wire.)
This was updated when they moved the starter for 2005.

The starter body uses a square configured o-ring, instead of a normal round bodied o-ring, for sealing the housing connection. I got spares from Stockers Starters in West Virginia.

That's pretty much all I think I know about the bike, right now.
After these upgrades, my '02 FSE400 was a fun and fast bike.

Good Luck, and Good Riding!
Jim

Azash 02-27-2015 11:41 PM

Hard to identefy

Can some one decode this for me?
VTREC3000H0760077
Lives in sweden i was told ist ? 07 bit was not rally sure

Jim Cook 02-28-2015 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azash (Post 149091)
Can some one decode this for me?
VTREC3000H0760077
Lives in sweden i was told ist ? 07 bit was not rally sure

2002 was the first year they gave the 10th digit a letter; a "C".
With your 10th digit being an "H", that would make it a 2007 EC300.

GasGasDreamer 02-28-2015 03:20 PM

my buddys bike

VTREC3000E103xxxx

I think the "E" is the year
A='00
B='01
C='02
D='03
E='04

I think its an '04 EC300.
I hope it is, I sold it to him as an '04.:confused:
it does have a steering lock on the frame though.

am I correct?
does the steering lock mean anything?
thanks

Jim Cook 02-28-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasGasDreamer (Post 149117)
my buddys bike

VTREC3000E103xxxx

I think the "E" is the year
A='00
B='01
C='02
D='03
E='04

I think its an '04 EC300.
I hope it is, I sold it to him as an '04.:confused:
it does have a steering lock on the frame though.

am I correct?
does the steering lock mean anything?
thanks

I believe you are correct, Sir.

The steering head lock simply means that it is a real honest world model EC frame; as opposed to a MC frame such as the XC and DE models had.

Weskusklong 04-07-2015 03:31 AM

vin #

Can someone please help me with this vin # VTREC25096059708
IS IT A EC250 2000 MODEL OR A 1999 MODEL or a 1996 model.:confused: