Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Steering lock removal (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14442)

schlitzy 03-08-2013 06:55 PM

Steering lock removal

It took me 1 day to break my new bike. I was trying to lock the steering, let go of the bars and the bars came around and sheared the key off in the lock. (2012 300 ec). It looks like some kind of pin, almost looks like a rivet, holds it in somehow. What is the best way to get these out? If I order a new lock will it come with this pin? The lock appears to be about 30 bux on gofasters, I assume it comes with keys.
Thanks

desertgasser300 03-08-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlitzy (Post 106128)
It took me 1 day to break my new bike. I was trying to lock the steering, let go of the bars and the bars came around and sheared the key off in the lock. (2012 300 ec). It looks like some kind of pin, almost looks like a rivet, holds it in somehow. What is the best way to get these out? If I order a new lock will it come with this pin? The lock appears to be about 30 bux on gofasters, I assume it comes with keys.
Thanks

You don't need the steering stem lock unless you plan on dual sporting the bike and leaving out unattended somewhere. I tried to get mine to lock and it never would.

You busy monday? I'm meeting a friend at MM4 to do some riding on some new single track.

Jakobi 03-08-2013 07:56 PM

Mine works just fine. Or at least it did the one time I tried it before hanging one set of keys in the spares bin, and the other in my tool roll. I figure the only time I'd consider using it is if for some strange reason I have to abandon it in the bush somewhere.

If mine was damaged I'd just leave it be. Tried using a really strong magnet to pull the broken part back out?

schlitzy 03-08-2013 07:59 PM

Gotta work Monday but I am trying to get guys together to go riding Saturday or Sunday. The lock bothers me. The broken key is in it and at one time it actually locked up, I put the bike on the kickstand and it unlocked, wouldn't be much fun while moving/riding. Any interest in a weekend ride?

desertgasser300 03-08-2013 08:23 PM

I can probably do sunday 17th? Can finalize this next week.

schlitzy 03-08-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 106142)
Mine works just fine. Or at least it did the one time I tried it before hanging one set of keys in the spares bin, and the other in my tool roll. I figure the only time I'd consider using it is if for some strange reason I have to abandon it in the bush somewhere.

If mine was damaged I'd just leave it be. Tried using a really strong magnet to pull the broken part back out?

I tried a strong magnet with no joy. I will keep my eyes open for a stronger one.

schlitzy 03-08-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgasser300 (Post 106146)
I can probably do sunday 17th? Can finalize this next week.

Gotta work but should have the GG all legal by then.

desertgasser300 03-08-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlitzy (Post 106149)
Gotta work but should have the GG all legal by then.

Still waiting on getting mine all legal like.....hint hint :rolleyes: