Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   G2 throttle tamer? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24013)

Greatdane 10-30-2018 03:52 PM

G2 throttle tamer?

Anyone using a g2 throttle tamer? I have an 18 xc 250 and it seems no matter where i set my power valve, when the bike comes on the pipe it hits pretty aggresively. Raced in some super slick mud and even with the p.v. set at 1 turn out i had to be gentle when gassing it or there would be lots of wheelspin.

Jakobi 10-30-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatdane (Post 186752)
Anyone using a g2 throttle tamer? I have an 18 xc 250 and it seems no matter where i set my power valve, when the bike comes on the pipe it hits pretty aggresively. Raced in some super slick mud and even with the p.v. set at 1 turn out i had to be gentle when gassing it or there would be lots of wheelspin.

I have always loved the 250 engine, and always used the G2 quick pull.

Some of that is the nature of a 250. It has a slacker bottom end, yet makes similar peak hp.. that difference is made up for as the engine comes onto the pipe.

In super slick conditions everyone gets wheel spin. The best way around it is to upshift and carry momentum. That way you can use bigger throttle inputs, dampened with some clutch slipping, lower rpm which gives a softer delivery, and let the torque carry the bike. If momentum is lost it's hard to get going again, especially if fighting gravity!

In general I find that the clutch is what brings a 250 together. It allows you to utilise the bottom end power for smoothness, and then feed in the excitement as needed. I use the clutch to boost the revs into the band, yet control the hit to the ground. Bit like feathering as you take off vs just dumping the clutch.

webmaster 10-30-2018 05:08 PM

Are you still running stock n1ef needle?

With the stock jetting - which isn't good - it will typically 'clear out and hit' a tad...

jeff

Greatdane 10-31-2018 06:58 AM

Ive got the jetting sorted out. 175 m 40 pilot n3ch needle and have a rk tek cut head. My bike runs great and is a rocket. Decent torque too. Been riding 250 2 strokes for 30 years. Just seems like the transition from torqey to full on oower is a little abrupt. Not really complaining just thought maybe thr throttle tamer might do the trick.

Jakobi 10-31-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatdane (Post 186764)
Ive got the jetting sorted out. 175 m 40 pilot n3ch needle and have a rk tek cut head. My bike runs great and is a rocket. Decent torque too. Been riding 250 2 strokes for 30 years. Just seems like the transition from torqey to full on oower is a little abrupt. Not really complaining just thought maybe thr throttle tamer might do the trick.

Throw a Suzuki needle at it...

The N3 series are a dual taper that tend to transition pretty hard between bottom and top. The NE series have 3 tapers and supply a bit more fuel making for a more linear delivery.

Greatdane 10-31-2018 07:38 AM

I have a necj. Havent tried it yet. Would the pilot and or main need to be changed when switching?

webmaster 10-31-2018 11:40 AM

You typically go to a richer pilot, back off your idle setting...

Don't worry about targeting 1.5 turns out on air screw. I would opt for approx 2 1/4 turns out and a richer pilot with idle backed out.

jeff

Greatdane 10-31-2018 03:14 PM

So go to a 42 pilot or 45?

Jakobi 10-31-2018 03:52 PM

Probably the 45, however the J will likely be a touch lean in a 250. They suit the 300 a bit more.

If you are currently 40 N3CH#3 I'd be moving to 42 NEDW#2..

AZRickD 10-31-2018 04:00 PM

I put an EC pipe on my XC300.

Fairly mellow and linear.