Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Clutch question (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23717)

Trailrider 07-23-2018 04:31 PM

Clutch question

My new to me 2010 EC300 runs fine except for the clutch. Actually the clutch works fine when engaged, the problem is about half the time when I let out the lever it jerks or lurches. The lever itself is smooth, the clutch basket looks new. Could it be something with the slave cylinder? Where can I get parts, it is an AJP and they went bankrupt. Any help appreciated.

Neil E. 07-23-2018 05:02 PM

No direct experience on this but maybe the Oring on the slave piston has "rolled". It is losing any fluid from the reservoir over time? Any chance someone has put the wrong fluid in and messed up the seals?

Trailrider 07-23-2018 05:46 PM

Clutch question

The clutch does not leak anywhere, in fact it is perfect except for the lurch on take off (sometimes). I may investigate the slave cylinder but I don't have experience with it, was hoping I could smooth it out without messing with the slave.

memphis2857 07-23-2018 07:17 PM

Matto Cycle will ha e the parts for the AJP. They are still in business under a different name. I believe it’s braktech or something like that.

On another note, I had this happen before and it was the master cylinder that was going bad. Instead of fiddling with the inferior AJP stuff, I just bought a Magura hymec 167 master cylinder. It’s a direct replacement. If you go this route you need to get the 9.5mm one. Got mine on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailrider 07-23-2018 07:49 PM

Clutch problem

Thanks Memphis,
I may buy a new master cylinder if necessary.

Trailrider 07-24-2018 03:10 AM

Clutch question

Any other suggestions welcome, I am not in a hurry to buy a new master cylinder.

Anders 07-24-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailrider (Post 184418)
Any other suggestions welcome, I am not in a hurry to buy a new master cylinder.

How are your steel plates? Straight or warped? Warped plates may lead to the clutch engaging abruptly.

pscook 07-24-2018 07:33 AM

I really don't think that it's anything to do with the clutch actuator system (master and slave cylinder). I believe that your issue is with gear box fluid weight. The GG clutches chatter at engagement with the certain fluid weight. I recommend that you try different weights of transmission fluid. I had good results with a 50/50 blend of Type F ATF and 10w30 motor oil. It's cheap enough to change the trans fluid that you can test different blends to find what suits you. Oil weight has a significant affect on clutch engagement, so spend a couple of $ and figure out what works best for you. It is a LOT easier to change gear fluid than swapping seals.

Don't forget to look at straight weight gear oil along with multi weight motor oil. Heavier weight oil will also cause clutch drag (hard to find neutral); once I swapped to the 50/50 blend it was very easy for me to find neutral with the bike running as well as reduced engagement chatter.

SS109 07-24-2018 03:52 PM

I agree. What oil you run can make a big difference. I run full ATF type F in all my bikes as it smooths out shifting and makes finding neutral easier. Plus, it's reasonably cheap and can be found at most auto parts stores.

Trailrider 07-24-2018 04:42 PM

Clutch question

I am running straight ATF Type F. Someone said to try Amsoil 0w-40, I may try some if I can find it.
This is my 4th GasGas and the only one with clutch trouble, all the others were very smooth.
I don't really want to take apart the master cylinder as the action is fine.