Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2018 Bikes don?t have a USFS-Approved Spark Arrestor (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23749)

AZRickD 08-01-2018 12:40 PM

2018 Bikes don?t have a USFS-Approved Spark Arrestor

The result is that since 97% of my riding is on public land, a new GG purchase requires another couple-hundred bucks for a new silencer (FMF Turbine Cores conveniently stocked at the dealer). ?USFS Approved Spark Arrestor? must be legally stamped on the silencer.

Are there cheaper alternatives? An end-cap swap??

thumperrider1 08-01-2018 03:45 PM

What bikes come stock with one? I think you will be in that boat with whatever bike you choose. I've not seen an end cap for the GG FMF silencer out there yet, just the whole 2.1 like you have seen.

gasgasman 08-01-2018 03:50 PM

FMF Has a Turbine Core and the Q Stealth available now.
Pro Circuit also has a spark arrestor silencer.

memphis2857 08-01-2018 06:45 PM

There are ZERO 2 strokes brought into the country with a spark arrestor thanks to the great state of California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZRickD 08-01-2018 07:31 PM

I?m not sure why y?all chased the shiney object, but I?ll entertain you. The last bike I bought (2011 GG) came with an FMF Q-Stealth (with a Turbine Core type sparky). Yes, importing them with SAs appears to muck up the process lately.

So, is there any other cheap and legal solution (end cap, insert) besides buying a new T-Core ?

SS109 08-01-2018 10:32 PM

You don't have to have it say on the exhaust that it's USFS approved. G&F and at AMRA events (as you know I work tech every year in San Manuel) all that is done to check for a spark arrestor is the poking of a wire in the exhaust.

You can use one of the universal screen type inserts but be prepared to clean it with a propane torch after every one to two rides as they like to plug up. However, it would make you legal. If you are creative you could even make or adapt a turbine core insert to the factory silencer and it would also be legal.

AZRickD 08-02-2018 08:19 AM

I might have one.

Or I can weld and pop rivet something in there.

I see lots of screen inserts for 4-strokes. Not quite sure if I am seeing them for a 2T.

memphis2857 08-02-2018 08:44 PM

2018 Bikes don?t have a USFS-Approved Spark Arrestor

I race a few National Enduros every year and they require a “spark arrestor”. They check for it by sticking a rod in the end of your pipe. I just took the silencer apart and wove safety wire through the metal core to prevent the rod from going through the pipe.

On my 2011, I had a house of horsepower silencer. I just bought a $10 spark arrestor screen insert for a FMF pipe and it was a direct fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZRickD 08-02-2018 09:38 PM

You, Sir, are a Dandy !!