Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Removing Rear Shock (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2690)

gasIdaho 05-10-2008 11:09 AM

Removing Rear Shock

Getting ready to remove my shock to send to Les. Never done this before. Any tips on what to do (or not to do). I'll probably replace swingarm bearings while I have it torn down.

Thx
05' EC300

PEB 05-10-2008 03:30 PM

Loosen all the bolts in the linkage, swingarm and shock before taking anything apart. Consider using o-rings, seals or both when putting it back together. While you have it apart replace the chain slider as well.

Paul B

gasIdaho 05-10-2008 03:58 PM

When you say "consider using o-rings, etc" do you mean "replace" the o-rings and seals. Thx for the info!

PEB 05-10-2008 04:27 PM

Some guys run the seals that came oem. Others replace the seals with O-rings. This last time I had mine apart I replaced the worn bushings and bearings and was able to get a seal and an o-ring on all but a couple of the joints, hopefully creating another layer of protection from muck entering.

JoshP 06-03-2008 10:03 AM

I replaced all mine with Orings and seems to work a lot better than the OEM seals. Also stopped buying bearing from GG since I found a place in Jersey that manufactors them for GG and makes a replace (that GG won't sell) that has a metal track system inside instead of just the pin style. These newer style last about 2 to 3 times in wear since there are extra groves in the design to hold grease (Dare I say that they were like 1/2 the price of the GG's). Although my wear length is probably also due to my habit of cleaning and regrease my bearings every 3 months. I see very little leak through when I do my cleaning sessions. If you are interested in the bearing company I have #'s and Website address some where. Good Luck with it!

AZRickD 07-09-2008 09:26 AM

I'm interested.

I have mine almost apart (trying to get that dang swingarm bolt out).

nhrider 07-09-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZRickD (Post 18758)
I'm interested.

I have mine almost apart (trying to get that dang swingarm bolt out).

Did you loosen all the linkage bolts?

AZRickD 07-09-2008 07:55 PM

Yeppir. It's just flopping there.

AZRickD 07-12-2008 06:16 PM

Just got all my suspension components back from the shop. Now, where did I put those dang shims?

gasIdaho 02-02-2009 05:14 PM

AZRick...I'm getting ready to remove my shock but not sure how to go about it. Where did you start as far removing bolts, etc. Does the shock come out the bottom? Not sure I'll be replacing swingarm bearings or not. Just concerned with removing the shock at this point and interested in removing as few a parts as possible. Thx for the input!