Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   All Other Bikes... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   94 CR 250 Ground Up Restoration IMS Wide Ratio Transmission Issue (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22310)

Moto7man 01-22-2017 11:55 AM

94 CR 250 Ground Up Restoration IMS Wide Ratio Transmission Issue

I have been working on this restoration for about 18 months gathering parts. I am in mid assembly and I ran into a problem with installing the IMS Wide Ratio Transmission. I have a thread on another forum and some of the GG members already know about it. I have 4 of the 5 IMS gears installed without any problems at all. (2 on the mainshaft and 3 on the countershaft). The problem is the last C3 gear on the countershaft fits perfectly but the I.D. of the gear (with the bushing) is too big for the shaft. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is the countershaft,the bigger gear is the stock Honda gear and the other gear is the IMS gear. Note the stock Honda bushing(collar)inside the IMS gear. Between C3 and C5 it is a bushing that rides inside C3, there are also a single washer on each side of C3. There isn't a spacer. The I.D of replacement gear is 24.98. The bushing(collar) O.D is 21.99 and the Bushing(collar) I.D is 18.99.I have attached photos showing the replacement gear loosely positioned on C5 without any collar so you could see the gap between gear and countershaft. I also included photos of C3 and C5 which show witness marks that they were previously mounted together. C3 and C5 seem to fit together perfectly except for the bushing(collar).

Moto7man 01-22-2017 12:01 PM

photos to be reposted.

Moto7man 01-22-2017 03:44 PM

This what she looked like when I picked her up about 18 months ago.

https://i.imgur.com/8UYKuOLl.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...shextp9cn.jpeg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...psuandjiaq.jpg

Moto7man 01-22-2017 03:52 PM

And this is what she looks like now,

https://i.imgur.com/oJEYZLtl.jpg

Moto7man 01-22-2017 03:56 PM

And the garage beer fridge

john r b 01-22-2017 04:40 PM

Very nice work , super clean. what about the tank?

gasgasman 01-22-2017 05:21 PM

Nice project.
Be sure to grind the paint off the frame at the motor mounts.

Neil E. 01-22-2017 06:07 PM

Does the large bore of the suspect gear fit on any other shaft steps? If it's not supposed to go somewhere else, maybe the wrong gear was put in the kit.

If all else looks correct (except for the bore), a machine shop could do up a bronze bushing to press into the gear. Aluminum bronze would be tough enough to survive.

Moto7man 01-22-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil E. (Post 174231)
Does the large bore of the suspect gear fit on any other shaft steps? If it's not supposed to go somewhere else, maybe the wrong gear was put in the kit.

If all else looks correct (except for the bore), a machine shop could do up a bronze bushing to press into the gear. Aluminum bronze would be tough enough to survive.

I am having someone else who is intricately familiar with these IMS kits verify the gear was the correct one for the kit. I sent him all the dimensions today. Thanks for the aluminum bronze specification, I was vaguely thinking about someone like that but Neil I could not articulate it with your precision.THANK YOU!:D

Moto7man 01-22-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john r b (Post 174228)
Very nice work , super clean. what about the tank?

Thank you. I purchased a 3.1 gallon IMS natural tank from Chapmoto that should be shipped on 2-15.

Moto7man 01-22-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 174229)
Nice project.
Be sure to grind the paint off the frame at the motor mounts.

Thank you for the compliment! I didn't think about grinding the paint off at the mounts, great tip,I'll do that.

gasgasxc 01-23-2017 11:23 PM

If this is the wide ratio transmission you got from me then-
It is complete and a 5 gear matched set.
I bought it new and ran it in my personal bike (1987 CR 250).
I took the set out of the bike before I sent it to you.It was not a loose gear set scattered here and there.I counted all the teeth and double checked the ratios before I sent it out to you in the original box.
should fit 1986-1996 CR250 at the least.

there are some slight differences between years on shafts and stock number of teeth on some years.I think and don't quote me that there was a 12 and 13 tooth shaft available depending on years.Ive also seen differences in other years a tooth here and a tooth there.
But,make no mistake that is the original IMS wide ratio transmission set distributed by Moose racing at the time and application for 1986-1996 CR 250.

Im sorry you are running into an issue.
Look it over close,do you home work,Cross reference microfiche etc.etc.
Don't listen to some joker whos" heard about this or heard about" that.

Goodluck

Moto7man 01-24-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasxc (Post 174281)
If this is the wide ratio transmission you got from me then-
It is complete and a 5 gear matched set.
I bought it new and ran it in my personal bike (1987 CR 250).
I took the set out of the bike before I sent it to you.It was not a loose gear set scattered here and there.I counted all the teeth and double checked the ratios before I sent it out to you in the original box.
should fit 1986-1996 CR250 at the least.

there are some slight differences between years on shafts and stock number of teeth on some years.I think and don't quote me that there was a 12 and 13 tooth shaft available depending on years.Ive also seen differences in other years a tooth here and a tooth there.
But,make no mistake that is the original IMS wide ratio transmission set distributed by Moose racing at the time and application for 1986-1996 CR 250.

Im sorry you are running into an issue.
Look it over close,do you home work,Cross reference microfiche etc.etc.
Don't listen to some joker whos" heard about this or heard about" that.

Goodluck

No worries, It is the same set, we are working on it, PM sent.

Update; The original IMS instructions had a typographical error. IMS Wide Ratio Transmission is now assembled and being installed in the new engine!

Moto7man 01-26-2017 12:11 PM

I am going back checking the install to see anything is incorrect.

This is how the mainshaft and countershaft were assembled. The two top bags include the two stock mainshaft gears. The three bottom bags include the three countershaft gears(the IMS gear and the stock gear are to the left of the bottom left bag, these are the ones that we are having a difficulty.)

All these bags include the removed stock Honda gears, each bag is labeled with number of teeth for the Honda gear, then , at the bottom middle of the bags you will see the label. (replacement IMS gear with the number of teeth.)

So this shows exactly which gears were removed , how many teeth they had, and how many teeth were on each IMS replacement gear that replaced them. I counted the teeth on each stock gear, then I counted the teeth on each IMS gear as I replaced them and labeled each bag. If anybody sees a problem, please let me know because I am scratching my head on this one.

Moto7man 01-29-2017 03:48 PM

While I am waiting on some other detailed on the transmission, I am moving ahead with the chassis and other things. I just got some new parts.

Boyesen clutch cover

IMS 3.1 gallon tank, which is giant-enormous.

And front and rear Buchanan spokes

Moto7man 01-29-2017 03:55 PM

I laced up the 18 and 21 inch rims last night. Somewhat simple, I just ordered a stand so I can true them.

Rear rim. It was cold as heck here last night, so I laced them up in the den while I watched the Grand Tour with Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond.
Front rim

Moto7man 01-29-2017 03:58 PM

Rear rim complete except for truing,

Front rim,

Moto7man 01-29-2017 04:00 PM

I tested fitted the IMS tank and this is how she looks so far.

chopper 01-29-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 174366)

IMS 3.1 gallon tank, which is giant-enormous.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...psbf76hory.jpg

Bike is looking great! Did you want or need the enormous tank? Just thinking that a new Clarke stock capacity in white would give a nice original appearance.

Moto7man 01-29-2017 09:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing and I am kinda on the fence right now about it. I could not find an IMS tank bigger than the stock tank without going to the 3.1.

hadfield4wd 01-30-2017 10:41 AM

This bike is gorgeous. I'd almost hate to ride it...almost.

Moto7man 01-30-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadfield4wd (Post 174390)
This bike is gorgeous. I'd almost hate to ride it...almost.

Thanks very much...I am going to ride it ....a lot.:D:D:D:D

Moto7man 02-09-2017 08:59 AM

The backgrounds with numbers just arrived from Decal Works, I put them on last night. I just shipped the suspension off to Drew Smith and Mike at Works Enduro Rider. The golds cad plated bolts, axles and the rebuilt repainted radiators should be here on Friday and some stuff will be here next week.:D

Moto7man 02-20-2017 08:02 AM

I got some work done this weekend. The bolts and axles were cad plated.

I got a new truing stand which worked great. I just need to go over the wheels with a torque wrench then install the galfer rotors, tubliss and tires.

Moto7man 02-20-2017 08:06 AM

I also installed the swingarm and I used a Motion Pro Service Tool to press the bearings into the rear link and install it as well.

Moto7man 02-20-2017 08:11 AM

I also just got the radiators back from Mylers and bolted them on as well.

I also sealed up the air filter mount D Ring with some 3M adhesive.

Moto7man 02-20-2017 08:13 AM

I also received my Honda full gasket kit.

Moto7man 02-20-2017 08:16 AM

Here is a pic of the installed cad plated steering head nuts and washer.

Moto7man 03-02-2017 10:04 AM

I just got some used rad louvers and I am soaking them in degreaser. Impossible item to find new.

I got the swingarm installed and my suspension arrived from Works Enduro rider on Monday. The forks and shock were anodized in black. I will upload those pic when I get home.

Moto7man 03-02-2017 10:10 AM

I got a new shifter as well.

I am installing some Rally Pro Grips.

Clutch side installed

I just got a Tusk Spoke Torque wrench.

I am going to torque the front and rear wheels to spec and I have a set of tubliss and tires on the way.

Moto7man 03-02-2017 10:19 AM

I got new side caps for the swingarm. The swingarm was powdercoated silver.
I also installed the rear brake hose guides with cad bolts.

I old brake pedal was a little beat up so I got a 2014 YZf 450 brake pedal and it bolted right up. I might need to trim the Yamaha bolt a bit with a dremel because it is close to the swingarm but is has good amount of clearance. I ordered a Yamaha master cylinder U clamp bc the YZF brake pedal is a little wider where it joins the master cylinder. Also, those footpegs are titanium and came off a 2009 YZ250. I used Yamaha pins and springs to mount them.

Moto7man 03-02-2017 10:25 AM

I am very happy with the backgrounds and numbers from Decal Works.

I also installed a new oem tank strap. I'm not sure if the orientation of the strap is correct. I installed the new upper seat mount washer with a cad plated bolt. I also installed a new oem fuel valve and oring, pics to follow.

Moto7man 03-02-2017 10:27 AM

I am going through a lot of Honda OEM parts, here is a shot of some of the empty bags. :D:D:D

Leo 03-03-2017 05:27 AM

:eek: Wow! Had one 94 CR back there days!
Congratulations nice job

Moto7man 03-03-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo (Post 175107)
:eek: Wow! Had one 94 CR back there days!
Congratulations nice job

Thanks very much!

Moto7man 03-03-2017 05:25 PM

Suspension from Works Enduro Rider

Shock, anodized black.

Shocks and forks

This is how she looks at the moment, ....we are getting there.....

Moto7man 03-13-2017 11:48 AM

I finished the rims, installed Tubliss inserts on the front and rear wheels with new metzeler tires. I put a Unicross on the front and Six Days on the rear. I got it off the stand and sat on it for the first time in 18 months!:D:D:D:D

Moto7man 03-13-2017 03:58 PM

Is there a special tool to remove the small round "grub"cover on the brake pad pin for the front brake caliper? Mine is seized up and I will put a torch on it but I wondered if there was a special tool to fit the groove, my impact driver fits the groove but it is just a little too wide

Moto7man 03-21-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto7man (Post 175366)
Is there a special tool to remove the small round "grub"cover on the brake pad pin for the front brake caliper? Mine is seized up and I will put a torch on it but I wondered if there was a special tool to fit the groove, my impact driver fits the groove but it is just a little too wide

I finally got the little cover off and thankfully the brake pin wasn't seized and came right out.

Moto7man 03-21-2017 10:57 PM

I am trying to get the Honda finished and ride it a little before the 2018 Gassers get here. I mounted a "Braking" Wave rotor on the front and an EBC vented rotor on the rear. I finished bleeding the front brake and it works good. I hooked up the rear brake master cylinder linkage with the 2014 YZ450F brake pedal. I was able to use the stock Honda pin but I had to bend the Honda clevis. I had bought a New YZF clevis but it was a smaller size than the Honda master cylinder and I could not use it. The YZF pedal bolt cleared the swingarm but it was a little close.

I was going to install a Megura 314 throttle but I had trouble finding a throttle cable that I thought would work. I got a good deal on a Domino Throttle and I bought a nos Honda throttle cover that slipped right on without a problem.