Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Changing fork springs (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3278)

skid jackson 09-13-2008 09:08 PM

Changing fork springs

Can this be done with the front end left on the bike??
IIRC .... I'm thinking the tricky part would be keeping the little rod from sliding down into the fork tube while trying to swap out the springs. If the rod responds to a magnet you could get it back up with a magnet extender but I'm thinking its aluminium....

cladoo 09-13-2008 09:45 PM

That's how I did mine. I think the rod is steel.

bergerhag 09-14-2008 02:55 AM

Put the bike on a stand, unscrew your fork caps, then lift up the front wheel and put another stand under the wheel. This way you can work on the spring change with the fork fully compressed and there will be no need to fish out the inner rod..

skid jackson 09-14-2008 10:42 AM

sweeet!!
I wouldn't have thought of that!!

skid jackson 09-20-2008 08:59 PM

Damn that was easy!!
Thanks for the tip B hag ...
spring change out was boob!!

any tips for changing out the rear ohlins??

gasgasman 09-21-2008 03:00 PM

To pull the rear shock.
Remove the exhaust pipe and unbolt shock.
Pull out on the right side of bike.
You will have to move the swing arm up and down as you pull the shock.

I saw Billy Burns do this in about 2 min.

GMP 09-21-2008 07:41 PM

Yes, thats the slick way to do it. On the '03+ bikes its easy as the top shock bolt is lower and eaisly accessable. Never tried it on an older GG but I think the tank will have to come off too to access the bolt. Still better than pulling/pivoting the subframe.

skid jackson 09-21-2008 09:48 PM

I was thinking more in the way of changing out the spring on the rear ohlins ... some shocks you can loosen the spring, remove a ring on the bottom spring mount and drop the spring down. other shocks aren't so easy and require a spring compression tool.

btw .. i rode with the 42's up front today .... jury is still out but .... seemed alot nicer. I also backed rear preload from 10 mm back to 8mm. I added two clicks to compression and two clicks for some more rebound damping to the forks. seemed like I had a bit of front end wallowing/head shake on some down strokes. was riding tight technical stuff that was a little slick in places .. maybe it was my mt 19 sliding around...

Brian VT 09-22-2008 05:49 AM

You don't need to compress the rear spring.

iancp5 09-24-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 20861)
To pull the rear shock.
Remove the exhaust pipe and unbolt shock.
Pull out on the right side of bike.
You will have to move the swing arm up and down as you pull the shock.

I saw Billy Burns do this in about 2 min.

Damn I took 2 hours! Must try it this was next time instead of removing all the linkage and back wheel, loosening the subframe to swing up ..................... :o