Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Dual map CDI on 250 (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=435)

GMP 11-27-2006 07:50 PM

Dual map CDI on 250

Those that have the newer 250s with the dual map CDI, could you please desribe the difference in feel between the two maps? Thanks.

Its sure been dead around here lately.

gasmonaut 11-28-2006 10:34 AM

on a 300 ec the "sunny" map feels much more snappy than the "rain" map .

the sunny map is something like a motocross style map with a wery noticeable strong snappy pull in amiddle of RPM range. that rainy map is then something to use in a slippery muddy terrain where wheelspin is hard to control.

my 10 cent.

GMP 11-28-2006 12:14 PM

Yes, I know what the function is and and have heard a few reports of use on the 300s, but not on the 250s. I'm specifically interested in the effectivness on a 250.

catch22 12-01-2006 02:20 PM

Gmp ,
l have a 05 ec 250 ,it had the dual cdi on it but no switch , l put a switch on it about a year ago , the sunny mode :eek: feels like the motor has been leaned off a bit , it is a fair bit crisper and has a slight but noticable crack to it , l like using this setting on open courses when its really muddy as the rear spins up quicker and seems to clear the rear wheel and grip , the rain setting mode ( handbag mode ) is pretty helpful when going gets tricky , slippy uphill climbs are a little better , on the whole the effect of the switch is quite suttle , worth having if you have the dual cdi fitted already , just for the record l also tried the bigger power valve cover but l found it had too much bottom end and took it off after one race :mad: , hope this of some help :D

cdn280 12-02-2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catch22 (Post 2523)
Gmp ,
l have a 05 ec 250 ,it had the dual cdi on it but no switch , l put a switch on it about a year ago , the sunny mode :eek: feels like the motor has been leaned off a bit , it is a fair bit crisper and has a slight but noticable crack to it , l like using this setting on open courses when its really muddy as the rear spins up quicker and seems to clear the rear wheel and grip , the rain setting mode ( handbag mode ) is pretty helpful when going gets tricky , slippy uphill climbs are a little better , on the whole the effect of the switch is quite suttle , worth having if you have the dual cdi fitted already , just for the record l also tried the bigger power valve cover but l found it had too much bottom end and took it off after one race :mad: , hope this of some help :D

Sounds like the same effect as on the 300. I've found the sunny mode also useful in some real low traction (non hilly) situations too as the power is very soft if you keep the rpm away from the mid-hit powerband and it will still lug pretty good if you can keep it away from idling speeds. Sometimes the rainy mode is too much torque, but its great when you need good zaps of it for obsticles.

bobr 12-04-2006 07:16 AM

i believe that feature is built into the CDI's back to 04. on the same note but a little off to the left.....has anyone heard of that switch being retrofitted on another brand of bike. i have a customer asking if it'll work on a KTM. i explained to him that the switch and CDI are most likely "linked" togeather and won't work on another brand.

GMP 12-04-2006 11:07 AM

It will work. All it does is make or break a single wire circuit. The only thing different may be the connectors, which is a simple fix.

MattR 12-04-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobr (Post 2575)
...has anyone heard of that switch being retrofitted on another brand of bike. i have a customer asking if it'll work on a KTM. i explained to him that the switch and CDI are most likely "linked" togeather and won't work on another brand.

I think KTM is offering a dual map CDI in 2007. They will probably have a similar toggle switch in their hardparts catalog. If not, I would suspect the GG toggle switch should work fine. The toggle acts as a single pole switch (either on or off). On 2005 GG's, folks were manually connecting/disconnecting the extra wire on the CDI to get the 2nd mapping. Later, they began to hook it up to a toggle switch/button to make it easier and on-the-fly adjustments.

EDIT:
Well, I must type too slow... GMP beat me to the reply.

bobr 12-04-2006 12:11 PM

it seems to me the duel "map" is inherent in the Gas-Gas CDI. so how would the switch work on another manufacturers CDI?

cdn280 12-04-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobr (Post 2585)
it seems to me the duel "map" is inherent in the Gas-Gas CDI. so how would the switch work on another manufacturers CDI?

Both companies use the same Kokusan cdi unit.