Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   TTX Shock (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12896)

Jakobi 07-24-2012 04:09 AM

TTX Shock

Hello kind people of the Gas Gas Rider Forum,

I'm done with jetting my bike until the season turns again, or I bolt something else on that starts the ball rolling. In the mean time I have decided to really dial in the TTX. The forks I feel comfortable with setting up, but the shock I wouldn't mind some help.

Anyone who used the TTX with the CSC adjuster have some baseline settings they are willing to serve up to get me on the right track? I have started with the recommended 24 clicks out which is ok. I have gone in to 18 which definitely firms things up some, and back out further to make the bike wallow.

The problem I have is when I plow big exposed roots it feels quite harsh in the back. The forks will soak it up but the back slams hard. If I pop the front wheel and wheely right over its not as bad and quite plush. Same with square edged short jumps (that the downhill bikers made). Think short steep face. The front absorbs it well but the back end just wants to skip over. Any thoughts or ideas on what circuit I should be looking at? Rebound or compression??

My approach will be the same as Ohlins recommends, where I use the CSC to get the bike to soak up the big jumps and woops without wallowing, and then fine tune the action with the clickers. I'd just like a bit of assistance on where to start to address that particular harshness.

Sag is set at 35mm/110mm with only 12mm preload on the spring.

Onegreyghost?? I might pm you.

Thanks in advance.
Jake

wence 07-24-2012 06:19 AM

Jake,
I know it is 2mm but reduce the preload 2-5 mm and see what that does.
I had 15 mm prelod on my 12 and the thing was a pig .... reduced it to 10 mm( 5mm reduction), and it is unbelievable.
Cheap to try?
Cheers Mark:D

GasTimppa 07-24-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wence (Post 91221)
Jake,
I know it is 2mm but reduce the preload 2-5 mm and see what that does.
I had 15 mm prelod on my 12 and the thing was a pig .... reduced it to 10 mm( 5mm reduction), and it is unbelievable.
Cheap to try?
Cheers Mark:D

I have 10mm in my TTX (newer model) and it's perfect.

Jakobi 07-24-2012 06:54 AM

I'm thinking I'm going to pull the whole shock out of the bike in the morning and give it a once over. Double check the preload since I've put a few hours on it, set the CSC back to 20 clicks out, rebound and compression are per manual and then wait to the weekend to do some testing.

It felt pretty sweet on the weekend but I think rear rebound might have been a touch too quick. I really need to get a video to see if I'm blowing through the stroke, or rebounding too fast. Maybe I'm just expecting too much. Talking about smashing into maybe a 20cm heigh square edge at second gear pace. A very well exposed root.

In other news that CSC adjuster is a pig of a thing to adjust! Located on the lower part of the shock, blocked by the chain and linkage dogs. Trying to count the 24 clicks out is a painful exercise! Will be much easier with the shock out of the bike.

GasTimppa 07-24-2012 07:21 AM

My suspencion guru added some rebound to my ttx in it's first service. But this is differnt shck, no CSC. After that I haven't needed to touch clickers :D

GMP 07-24-2012 08:23 AM

All this $$ in TTX and you still have to screw with it.;) Seriously, drop the preload a couple mm and see how it feels. IMO, 10mm is the target max not 12mm. Do this first before touching anything and run the same section of trail hitting the same stuff to establish a consistant reference. Preload has a big effect on feel over trail trash. Like Mark my '12 was jacked up out of the crate. I'm at just under 10mm preload with 110mm sag using the stock spring and the bike eats anything in its path. The '12 chassis seems to like a bit less sag than the '11s and older, so you should be able to drop that preload without affecting the steering. You can also add some low speed comp back in to compensate and quicken steering if needed. Make sure your fork is not preloaded too much either, as this will throw balance off and weight the rear more. FWIW, every number I've seen from Ohlins over the years has been way stiff.

Jakobi 07-24-2012 12:49 PM

I know right! You think it would just work on its own :D

Forks are running 3mm of preload and fork action is great. Bike feels well balanced. As per my last post, I'll pull the shock and go over all the clickers again, set the shock preload to 10mm and then go at it a little at a time during a proper ride.

Its soaking up the smaller trash fine and also the big landings from jumps/drop offs. Its just the hard square hits like logs on uphills that really feel harsh. They have with every shock I've owned too though. Doesn't seem to be kicking really high or anything, just either blowing through or too stiff and I don't know which one. To me it feels almost like too much high/not enough speed compression. Don't think the ttx has the high speed adjuster though, same as the new 888.

GMP 07-24-2012 01:30 PM

All adjusters do is change the size of the bleed path around the valve stack. Once the fluid velocity gets to a certain point the bleed is effectively closed and the stack takes over. It only affects low speed and where the valve stack becomes active. To fix high speed compression issues requires changing the stack(revalving). Just drop the preload without touching anything else, one thing at a time. Can you do that on a TTX on the bike?

Jakobi 07-24-2012 01:35 PM

Sure can adjust the preload with the shock on the bike. I'll pull it right out to double check the csc clicker setting though. Its painful trying to access it within the confined space. It'll make it easier to measure up the spring again to ensure the 10mm as well.

Thanks Glenn.

Jakobi 07-24-2012 01:40 PM

PS. Whats the best way to have a look how much travel the shock is using?? I've used a zip tie around a fork leg in the past to measure travel, but don't want to do this on the shock incase if it is bottoming. Don't want to damage the bumper.