Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Techniques & Training (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   One or two fingers? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14887)

eviljim 05-07-2013 02:12 PM

One or two fingers?

I am trying to improve my riding, so I a practicing the double blip to get over loges etc. I am finding that if if use two fingers on the clutch then I don't hold the bars at I would like, but if use one my arm gets tired. What do you all do? One or two?

john r b 05-07-2013 02:18 PM

I use two for a positive pull.(complete pull)

wence 05-07-2013 02:28 PM

One I reckon.
:D

swazi_matt 05-07-2013 04:07 PM

I did a training day with chris birch last year and his advice was to ride with your guns out ... one finger on clutch and one on brake at all times

I still switch to two on the clutch when riding slow very tight rocky sections but I think that will Change the stronger my finger gets

eviljim 05-07-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 110614)
I did a training day with chris birch last year and his advice was to ride with your guns out ... one finger on clutch and one on brake at all times

I still switch to two on the clutch when riding slow very tight rocky sections but I think that will Change the stronger my finger gets

I think my brakes need some work I would never brake with one finger.

nambo-trev 05-07-2013 04:32 PM

That would have been a killer clinic. He's always been my favorite extreme rider!

roostafish 05-08-2013 01:18 PM

Interesting that you bring this up. I hurt my left index finger in January, and it doesn't bend more than 90 degrees now. I have switched to using my middle finger on the clutch and it has been working surprisingly well because it is a longer finger, so the reach isn't much of a reach, so to speak. You might try it a few times to see what you think.

Bandit9 09-23-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eviljim (Post 110606)
I am trying to improve my riding, so I a practicing the double blip to get over loges etc. I am finding that if if use two fingers on the clutch then I don't hold the bars at I would like, but if use one my arm gets tired. What do you all do? One or two?

You hold on with your knees squeezing the bike, not with your hands.

I use one finger on both clutch and brake and keep that finger touching the levers at all times. Ready to use at any moment. I think a lot of people don't realize how little you have to move the lever to accomplish the job. They over pull the lever, thus using up strength.

zeuszuki 09-24-2013 01:52 AM

Make sure your lever height is set right as well. You would be surprised how quickly fatigue sets in if they are not right .

bowhunter007 09-24-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roostafish (Post 110710)
Interesting that you bring this up. I hurt my left index finger in January, and it doesn't bend more than 90 degrees now. I have switched to using my middle finger on the clutch and it has been working surprisingly well because it is a longer finger, so the reach isn't much of a reach, so to speak. You might try it a few times to see what you think.

+1 using middle finger. I get a better purchase on my bars w/index finger & thumb.