Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Injury & Recovery (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   GoPro chest trauma? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12508)

swazi_matt 05-26-2012 12:16 AM

GoPro chest trauma?

I was just thinking about the safety of attaching a gopro to your body.
Perhaps someone with a doctor friend could ask them this question. If you have a gopro strapped to your chest and come off and land full impact flat on your chest on hardpack or rock what are the health risks? I am guessing it could be quite serious but I am not a doctor

twowheels 05-26-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 87389)
I was just thinking about the safety of attaching a gopro to your body.
Perhaps someone with a doctor friend could ask them this question. If you have a gopro strapped to your chest and come off and land full impact flat on your chest on hardpack or rock what are the health risks? I am guessing it could be quite serious but I am not a doctor

Likely no worse than landing on the rock itself in the first place, but then you'd be out a camera too ;)

Around here lots of guys mount GoPros to the tops of their helmets - I'd be worried about catching a limb and torquing your neck. The slickest set-up I've seen is the Liquid Image goggle camera - true point-of-view filming and the most protected.

Jakobi 05-26-2012 01:59 AM

My mount is hard against the body armour and only held with 2 x velcro straps. In a big impact I imagine the camera would break. The chest plate should also spread the forces some before transferring to the body. I agree probably just like landing on a rock.

MrBlah 05-26-2012 06:51 AM

about 1/10th what it does when it catches a vine and tries to remove you from the bike

I had to learn that lesson a couple times, mine is now attached to my chest protector, I use the big black plastic thing they come attached to in the box, I cut it down drilled holes in it and zip tied it to my chest protector

bowhunter007 05-26-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBlah (Post 87394)
about 1/10th what it does when it catches a vine and tries to remove you from the bike

I had to learn that lesson a couple times, mine is now attached to my chest protector, I use the big black plastic thing they come attached to in the box, I cut it down drilled holes in it and zip tied it to my chest protector

I have sticky mounts front & back of my chest protector. here's an example of first time use...great view of the pad:D

http://youtu.be/3Oa_6yW9m20

GMP 05-26-2012 09:06 PM

Under visor is very good. A little custom work but when done right its out of the way of getting snagged and you don't even notice it. On the chest protector the size of the GoPro is nothing compared to anything else in the woods to hit or fall on. I think before that happens I'd smash it on the steering damper getting over the bars.

bowhunter007 05-26-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 87411)
Under visor is very good. A little custom work but when done right its out of the way of getting snagged and you don't even notice it. On the chest protector the size of the GoPro is nothing compared to anything else in the woods to hit or fall on. I think before that happens I'd smash it on the steering damper getting over the bars.

I see it like this...If you are ripping through the woods, or wherever, you are making a somewhat expensive gadget quite disposable. At any given moment, a tumble off the bike could destroy the camera...It doesn't matter where it's mounted on your person. I am good with that fact(on my 2nd GoPro in 18 months).

wrench 05-26-2012 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 87411)

That is my preferred placement. The first time I raced with my GoPro I had it on top of my helmet. On the first lap it got knocked upwards by a small face slapper. Pretty much tree tops for the rest of the HS. I moved it under my visor and it's been there ever since. Well protected, even survived a nasty face plant crash [4 ribs did not] pre running for the 2010 Baja 1K. When looking at it [attachment], you would think the placement would interfere with my vision ... not once have I noticed it while riding.

MrBlah 05-27-2012 08:28 AM

I could never ride like that, one of my helmets it wont fit, and the other one the visor is just entering my vision at it's highest point

I really dislike helmet mounted video, aka vomit cams, I cant watch them unless the rider never ever turns his head

swazi_matt 05-27-2012 10:12 AM

Ok so general consensus is that I have been watching too much Greys anatomy!
Anyway I figured I would have bigger problems as my head would most likely hir the ground before my chest!