Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2011 250 with a drinking problem... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23599)

Thompo 05-28-2018 04:17 AM

2011 250 with a drinking problem...

Hello

Just rode my 1st enduro yesterday.
DNF mainly due to lack of fitness lol
Severe arm pump stopped me halfway up a steep 500m long climb and took 45mins to get to the top of it again! and stopping to help someone whose chain sucked up between front sprocket and swing arm.

Anyway it was a 35mile lap, I hit reserve around 32miles.
Route was mixture of service roads, rocky trails and slow technical forest section with a few road sections in between.

Bike pulls well and idles perfect. Starts easily from cold with no choke, usually need throttle pulled to get some air in when hot starting (normal for 2t?).
Quite spoogy out the exhaust.

Not a fast rider so mainly a gear higher and working the clutch rather than singing on the pipe apart from the more open bits.

Could pilot be a bit too rich??
Or am I better going whole hog and see what the squish is like and fix that?

cheers

Jakobi 05-28-2018 05:02 AM

What are your current jetting specs? What level is the float set at.

My 2010 EC300 with stock jetting ran out of fuel by 70kms. After some head work and better specs I could ride the bike harder and get 100km before reserve.

Thompo 05-28-2018 06:57 AM

Ive only had it open once to check and set the floats (via info on here, AS2 carb) and everything checked out stock.

DISREGARD THIS POST SETTINGS WERE INCORRECT. SEE BELOW

180main
42 pilot
airscrew set around 1.5
float 8mm rings a bell, doesn't leak on side stand
N1EF needle middle/3rd
#7 Slide

Set for sea level, max altitude id likely encounter in this country would be around 600m

Jakobi 05-28-2018 07:25 AM

Needle..

Thompo 05-28-2018 07:34 AM

Ive been searching here and see the NEDW needle is recommended for the 250/300?

Would this give a more noticeable improvement in fuel economy than sorting the head (assuming the squish is "loose")

Thompo 05-28-2018 03:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just pulled the carb.
My memory was not good!.

178 main
40 pilot
N1EF 2nd from top
#7 slide
Air screw 2 turns

Plug is currently black but I was just off idle for 300m with a half full 20l Jerry can on my lap before it was shut off.

Idles perfect and i think it pulls well from low to high.
bit smokey at 50:1 at idle
maybe loads up if idling for any length of time but couple blips and it's cleared.

Edit
Checked float before and after
Was in around 6.5mm to the highest point
Set it to 8mm reducing amount of fuel in bowl.
Does that look correct?

Jakobi 05-28-2018 08:31 PM

I usually set my floats just off level.. maybe not quite as far as you have but just watch that it doesn't starve on extended runs.

Should save some fuel spilling over. See how you go and if its still thirsty consider the needle (recommend)..

Thompo 06-01-2018 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Backed the floats off a little to about 7.5mm
Got an NECW needle ran it at clip 3.
Bike is a whole lot smoother sounds cleaner and is a little hotter.

Also fitted a pipe which is in much better shape than my own. Had no idea it was that badly bent! (Bought bike with it fitted)

Plug after a 10mins around the forest and 4miles of road/tarmac.
Kept it just off the pipe around 45mph in 6th for a minute or so before killing it and pulling the plug.

SS109 06-01-2018 04:46 PM

That plug looks a lot better. However, doing a proper plug chop will really tell you what's going on with your jetting.

Jakobi 06-01-2018 05:13 PM

Still making good power too? I think you'll see some significant fuel consumption improvements.