Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   modifications to stock "banana" silencer (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11372)

swazi_matt 01-09-2012 01:06 AM

modifications to stock "banana" silencer

I recently rode a GG with a q-stealth pipe on it and liked the slight increase of power and the way it reved up a bit quicker

I know there are a whole host of guys here who still ride teir ktm's with a shortened hockey stick exhaust, so was thinking of choping a bit off the end of my banana zorst.

before i do that i wanted to know if anyone here has attempted that and/or has some advice for me before i do it?

thanks

noobi 01-09-2012 01:11 AM

Yes, a friend of mine with a 2010 300 had problems with the inner 'stinger' becoming loose where it attaches to the pipe end. Got advice from the importer to shorten the silencer as much as you can while still retaining the 2 mounts.
He just did some measuring, some cutting, re-braised the stinger, and put it back together. As far as I know, it has given no issues.

swazi_matt 01-09-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobi (Post 77306)
Yes, a friend of mine with a 2010 300 had problems with the inner 'stinger' becoming loose where it attaches to the pipe end. Got advice from the importer to shorten the silencer as much as you can while still retaining the 2 mounts.
He just did some measuring, some cutting, re-braised the stinger, and put it back together. As far as I know, it has given no issues.

Do you know if he noticed any difference in the performance of the bike?

noobi 01-10-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 77361)
Do you know if he noticed any difference in the performance of the bike?

Just asked him, he doesn't think it made mush difference at all.

GMP 01-10-2012 08:14 AM

I had a KTM300 with the hockey stick, and my main motovation for shortening it was that it was the perfect stock length to drip spooge on the brake caliper/rotor. I don't like to run spark arrestors if I don't have to for that reason, they are all spooge traps no matter how good your jetting is.

lankydoug 01-10-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 77382)
I had a KTM300 with the hockey stick, and my main motovation for shortening it was that it was the perfect stock length to drip spooge on the brake caliper/rotor. I don't like to run spark arrestors if I don't have to for that reason, they are all spooge traps no matter how good your jetting is.

When you ditch the spark arrestor do you usually have to re-jet?

GMP 01-10-2012 09:54 AM

Not from my experience. On my '07 250, I go between an FMF TC2 for enduros where I need it, to the OEM Messico straight silencer everywhere else with no issues. Now, if your a little borderline on jetting to start with things might be different, but not much. I like that silencer, its quiet, short, very light, and tucks in tight as to not get bent in a crash or lever the subframe. I don't like the Stealth, its too big like a 4-stroke can, had one and sold it. Too bad the '12 seems to have a different bend and I'm stuck until aftermarket comes through with a more compact solution.