Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   EC 250 Spark plug (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3778)

Grampy 12-13-2008 10:34 PM

EC 250 Spark plug

The manual that came with my Gas Gas 250EC calls for a NGK BR8EG which is a resistor plug. The NGK book at my dealership calls for a B8EG non resistor plug. Any problem with running a non resistor plug? Have heard concerns about non resistor plugs harming CDI units.

Thanks

widebear 12-13-2008 11:50 PM

Just put in a resistor plug. Their main purpose is to cut down on rf noise that can interfere with radio and other forms of communication and sensitive electronic transmissions and data aquasision.

MattR 12-14-2008 11:02 AM

Like widebear mentioned, use a resistor plug. I have used both BR8EG and BR8ES plugs. The G plug has a fine wire nickel alloy electrode, the S plug has a standard 2.5mm electrode.

Grampy 12-14-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR (Post 24048)
Like widebear mentioned, use a resistor plug. I have used both BR8EG and BR8ES plugs. The G plug has a fine wire nickel alloy electrode, the S plug has a standard 2.5mm electrode.

Which worked better, the BR8EG or the BR8ES?

roostafish 12-14-2008 03:10 PM

I fouled a plug once at high elevation and put in a B8ES which I had as a spare. I forgot about it, and ran it for about a year before I did the squish band mod on my head and found it. I laughed at myself as I took it out.

My experience is that it doesn't matter a bit which plug you run. The expensive electrode is a waste of money. I would still choose a resistor just in case there were interference issues, but I certainly didn't have any with the non resistor plug.

MattR 12-14-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grampy (Post 24051)
Which worked better, the BR8EG or the BR8ES?

I had same results as roostafish. I could not tell a difference between EG vs. ES. It probably depends on how well your jetting is dialed-in. I found BR8ES easier to find so I just run those in my bike.

FYI... there is also an iridium plug that may be interesting to try out. In my Husky SM610, this plug is a well known trick to eliminating some rich hesistation at 4000 rpms. The iridium plugs are pricey at $10 each. The iridium plugs provide a stronger, more consistent spark for a cleaner burn.

Here is more info:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...x.asp?mode=nml

I usually replace my spark plug yearly for piece of mind. So I will probably throw one of the iridium plugs in to try out. The GasGas EC250 would use a BR8EIX iridium plug (where IX is the callout instead of EG or ES).

2 strokes 4 life 12-14-2008 06:31 PM

I highly recomend a BR8EIX. Its a great pulg and wont foul. I was running a 185M jet, 48 pilot, and AS 1 turn out durring break in and then swapped out to a 175M, 42 pilot, and 1.5 turns out. Saying the least I was running rich and it still never fouled. Best under $10 spent ever.

jostby 12-14-2008 08:44 PM

Do yourself a favor and drop the "R" resistor plug. I did on both my bikes and have never been happier. No cdi interferance. The resistor is designed to "resist", ie: more current to make a spark and at the same time also reduces radio interferance which can affect some electronic ignitions and especially transmitted frequencies (am/fm/television). If everything is working fine that's great, actually it's excellent. If you get to the point it is taking too much current (running rich from a tipover or a long downhill on a cold day) it can burn out the resistor.

joey11 12-15-2008 07:11 AM

I've ran both ES and EG plugs, but now that I run an ICO, I've been using the one with a resistor. Should I not worry about that and run a B8es? Will the computer be OK?

Skidad 12-15-2008 08:58 AM

+3 on the Iridium plug.

I've used them for years on my KTM and will also use one on my new to me 07 EC300. Never fouled one and I believe it helps the bike start easier. Change it out once a year for piece of mind.