Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   new air filter (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12661)

savage sausage 06-17-2012 10:09 AM

new air filter

just got a new twin air filter

am I spraying the oil inside & out ??

or just on the outside

thanks

savage sausage 06-17-2012 10:24 AM

5 views and no answers??

Idahocharley 06-17-2012 11:30 AM

You want to coat it both inside and outside. I spray or pour oil on the inside and then massage it into the outside foam layer. Both layers should be fully colored with your favorite brand of foam filter oil.

Idahocharley 06-17-2012 11:42 AM

Bought a new 2011 EC 300 SD late fall last year. Have maybe 15 hrs on the bike - the stock twin-air filter does not seem to really fit the cage all that well and I was concerned about the sealing interface. No matter how careful I installed it the sealing surface at the cage flange always involved some of the foam filtering material squished into the sealing surface.

I took a chance and bought a couple of DT-1 Foam Air Filters and I like the way they fit the cage much better. Anyone else with comments?

The DT-1-190-47NO filter does NOT go over the stock locating cage pins like the Twin-Air. It rides on the flange surface and has a nenoprene type of sealing surface adhered to the foam filter material. Although the filter is not pinned to the cage at the sealing edges it fits the mating flange much better in my opinion.

Just thought I would share this with everyone. Quality of DT filter looks to be good to me - I don't have any cleaning (stand-up to cleanings) information to share.

savage sausage 06-17-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idahocharley (Post 88760)
You want to coat it both inside and outside. I spray or pour oil on the inside and then massage it into the outside foam layer. Both layers should be fully colored with your favorite brand of foam filter oil.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate that someone answered

as I thought inside and out

Jakobi 06-17-2012 03:32 PM

I've never used the aerosol filter oil, always use liquid and as stated apply a little at a time massaging it through until the whole filter has an even coating inside and out. I personally can't see a quick spray penetrating right into the foam.

lonetree 06-17-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 88774)
I've never used the aerosol filter oil, always use liquid and as stated apply a little at a time massaging it through until the whole filter has an even coating inside and out. I personally can't see a quick spray penetrating right into the foam.

+1...
no way would i rely on just aerosol spray oil. i dunk mine compleatly, then massage and wring out till excess is removed....

Simmo737 06-18-2012 04:22 AM

Get a used plastic shopping bag, pour oil on filter, massage oil into filter through the bag ensuring even coverage on inside and out. Leave to dry for an hour or so at least, until the oil tacks up.

If you use twin air oil ( eithe type) biozet washing powder works as well as the twin air powdered cleaner.

Cheers.

erniebearskin 06-18-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonetree (Post 88797)
+1...
no way would i rely on just aerosol spray oil. i dunk mine compleatly, then massage and wring out till excess is removed....

Same here, soak it completely then squish out the all the excess (squeeze it, dont wring it) and let it dry. I have been using the Twin Air Bio Oil and Cleaner for a few seasons now and really really happy ith it. Clean up is a breeze.