Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Jetting again (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24649)

Cox76y 08-11-2019 04:01 AM

Jetting again

Im hoping someone on the forum can help me out with the jetting for my 2018 ec300. I have removed the smart carb as I just couldnt get it to run right with it. So I am back to the standard keihin. I have had the squish set and currently I have-
Slide- standard
Needle- NEDW
clip position- 1
main- 175
pilot- 40
air screw 1 1/2 turns

With the set up above it seems excessively smokey n rich at idle. Lots of pipe bang. So Im thinking I should either go down in pilot size or try another needle. I hae tried the jetting database but there doesnt seem to be a heap of info specific to this bike and year.. Im riding mostly from sea level to 500m above.

Hope someone can help. thanks in advance..
JC

Gasser Nate 08-11-2019 04:53 AM

Have you lowered the float height from stock?
That is almost my exact jetting, except I am back to a 42 pilot for winter and I am on clip position #2 with a 172 main. No knocking and clean crisp jetting all the way through the rev range mostly around sea level.
What is your squish set at and did they lower the compression? My stock head had way too much compression and no matter what I did with the jetting it knocked when hot.

Doc Brown 08-11-2019 06:53 AM

My recommendation is:

go back to the 42 pilot jet, except temperature is over 92 F.
Replace the 175 with a 170 except temp is far below 50F.

Try the NECW in clip 3 and tune AS to your liking, normally about 2 turns out or more when riding in hot weather.

As Gasser Nate said, the float height is critical and set too high ex factory pushing the set-up towards the rich side. factories do that to be sure that you wont run it too lean.

Set it a tad lower, when tilting the bike from side to side it should nut spill fuel before reaching about 40 degrees lean angle.

edit: alternatively: JD-red in clip3, 178 main, 42 pilot AS 2 to 2,5 turns out. Works from 45 to 90 F.

Cox76y 08-11-2019 08:06 AM

Ok, I will try these recommendations and update with result. Thanks for the input..

Cox76y 08-12-2019 12:04 AM

Ok,
so I swapped the 40 pilot for a 42, swapped the main for a 170 and clip on 3rd position..
Result- It still seems too rich. Very smoky (but this could be the fuel as it is the very last bit of reserve Im using) A slight increase with the throttle and as it settles back down into idle there is heaps of pipe bang. I raised the clip to the 2nd position and it may be a little better. Pipe bang seemed to improve when the air screw was wound way out. Im talking probably 6 turns. What are your thoughts , should I try the 165 main or the 40 pilot??
thanks

JC

Doc Brown 08-12-2019 02:01 AM

I fear there's something wrong, I just don't know what :(

(F5) 08-12-2019 02:07 AM

6 full turns out? That's too far out and could fall out.

Pipe bang? Under load yeah?

Sounds like the needle isnt right, but you have it so try position 1.

Also don't change too much at once.

You have to keep thinking about the throttle position vs the jets controlling that section.

gg3 08-12-2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cox76y (Post 191471)
Im hoping someone on the forum can help me out with the jetting for my 2018 ec300. I have removed the smart carb as I just couldnt get it to run right with it. So I am back to the standard keihin. I have had the squish set and currently I have-
Slide- standard
Needle- NEDW
clip position- 1
main- 175
pilot- 40
air screw 1 1/2 turns

With the set up above it seems excessively smokey n rich at idle. Lots of pipe bang. So Im thinking I should either go down in pilot size or try another needle. I hae tried the jetting database but there doesnt seem to be a heap of info specific to this bike and year.. Im riding mostly from sea level to 500m above.

Hope someone can help. thanks in advance..
JC

Hi,
I am very happy with this setup-
Slide- standard
Needle- NEDW
clip position- 2
main- 175
pilot- 42
air screw 2 turns out
I did spend some time getting the float level right.

Cox76y 08-12-2019 06:16 AM

i will check the float level again.. But I too am thinking something else may be wrong.

Pygmygod 08-12-2019 09:12 AM

Checked for air leaks at reed cage, carb boot, or even non-sealing exhaust o-rings?