Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Pictures & Videos (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   this will slow me down a little.... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7699)

jhendr3702 08-05-2010 09:14 AM

this will slow me down a little....

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture353.jpg

SideshowBob 08-05-2010 09:25 AM

Just pour some windex on it!

eff 08-05-2010 09:55 AM

OUCH. Heal up soon.

jhendr3702 08-05-2010 09:58 AM

slight mis calculation... blew threw a corner into some knee high weeds...
hit something... leg went to sleep.....never even went down.. broken ankle..
the bike is fine...

WINDEX !!!!!!!!!!!!! My grandmother used to use WD40 on her joints ...

stainlesscycle 08-05-2010 12:43 PM

woohoo. now we're twins.

i was racing a vintage husky, a mossy log popped up on the course on lap 4, and i decided to hit it (not really - i kinda had no choice.). bike landed on my left leg, pinning me face down.. broken fibula. no fun.

http://www.stainlesscycle.com/leg.jpg

jhendr3702 08-05-2010 01:04 PM

nice stainless.....

stainlesscycle 08-05-2010 01:41 PM

yeah, no fun with crutches. you can't carry anything when you're on crutches. sucks.,
but now i have lotsa time to do motor rebuilds/swaps (have 4 to do this week)

jhendr3702 08-05-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 46875)
yeah, no fun with crutches. you can't carry anything when you're on crutches. sucks.,
but now i have lotsa time to do motor rebuilds/swaps (have 4 to do this week)

mine is the small bone on the outside... which ever one that is..
it is in one of those orthopedic boots, which is nice, and i can put a little weight on it, so i ditched the crutches..
Dr told me not to do anything stupid for a couple of weeks..
Told him if i could do that, i would not have been in his office....

stainlesscycle 08-05-2010 02:35 PM

mine is same bone (fibula) - after 10 days, i can put weight on it now, but not walk on it. i see doc on tuesday - i'm assuming cast will come off and air splint will be next.

bchatt 08-05-2010 04:37 PM

Dr told me not to do anything stupid for a couple of weeks..
Told him if i could do that, i would not have been in his office....[/QUOTE]

Haha! Yeh, what does he expect? A man can cram alotta stuff into a couple of weeks and, lets face it, it's not ALL going to be pretty:D

gasgasman 08-05-2010 04:58 PM

Get well soon.
What type of boots were you wearing?

jhendr3702 08-05-2010 05:03 PM

hate to admit ggman... when i bought my trials, i bought a set of oneal boots that are the type like a hiking boot... when have been breaking a new old trail out that involves alot of walking... hindsight is always 20 20, but i folded them over like they were nothing... right at the place my ankle is broken.. my 4 yr old alpenstars are twice as stiff in the same area...
never again..

noobi 08-05-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendr3702 (Post 46891)
hate to admit ggman... when i bought my trials, i bought a set of oneal boots that are the type like a hiking boot... when have been breaking a new old trail out that involves alot of walking... hindsight is always 20 20, but i folded them over like they were nothing... right at the place my ankle is broken.. my 4 yr old alpenstars are twice as stiff in the same area...
never again..

My dad broke both bones in his leg, one of them has a rod down the centre of it now. After he was home we were looking at the boot that he crashed in and it has almost no support in the ankle area and bent very easily, the boots that he and I had were Fox Comp5, we got a pair each when we got new boots, mine lasted less than a year before I had no confidence in them protecting me feet and ankles. Dad always said that it wasnt worth buying expensive boots because they will only last the same time as a cheaper pair, hence having the Comp 5s. I told him that if he had boots that properly supported his ankle it may not have been as bad as it was. So now he has a new pair of alpinestar tech8s and I used my staff rate to make sure they were affordable....:rolleyes:

Dad crashed on the last weekend of February and is now thinking about riding in the coming weeks.

jhendr3702 08-05-2010 06:08 PM

tech 8's are exactly what i am looking at noobi....
i was shocked how easy those folded over

noobi 08-05-2010 08:51 PM

We went with the tech8s over the 7s because the 8 still has a conventional sole, not bonded like the 7, and the 8 has an inner bootie and the 7 doesnt.
The bootie means that the 8s were alot more comfortable, the 8s have a sole with a replaceable insert but still have the stitched sole, so they will grip somewhat while walking, compared to the bonded sole on the 7s.
Although you probably already knew this :p
Ill post up what dad thinks of the boot when he goes for a ride....

Cruiser 08-06-2010 02:02 AM

heal fast man!! a good set of boots is the key,, I was looking at a set of the lighter boots for DS work and the trail clearing days.. I'm going to rethink that..

stainlesscycle 08-06-2010 03:21 AM

i was wearing tech 10's. with the bootie. the lower frame rail directly under the motor landed directly on the back/outside of my ankle, and pinned me there (after clearing a 12" log - i was in the air, so it came down on my leg with a LOT of force....) the bike was balancing on my ankle basically. if another rider wasn't behind me i would have been pinned for some time....... i think the injury would have been pretty catastrophic with lesser boots. the boots did their job. you can't expect miracles..

jhendr3702 08-06-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 46912)
i was wearing tech 10's. with the bootie. the lower frame rail directly under the motor landed directly on the back/outside of my ankle, and pinned me there (after clearing a 12" log - i was in the air, so it came down on my leg with a LOT of force....) the bike was balancing on my ankle basically. if another rider wasn't behind me i would have been pinned for some time....... i think the injury would have been pretty catastrophic with lesser boots. the boots did their job. you can't expect miracles..

that sounds painfull... not looking for miracles, just the best protection i can get... i was at a buddy's today at lunch, he showed me a picture of a guys foot who hookd a tree limb under the flap of his boot.. it took him off and poked the limb thru his foot... alpenstarts tech 7's i think..
it was nasty looking..

here is the photo.... not mine luckilyhttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z..._8164705_s.jpg

nhrider 08-06-2010 04:30 PM

Carefully guys! Get well soon.

Did the wife's give you crap about it?

I twisted my ankle last weekend. Hurt like hell and I thought I broke it. Went to the HR and while waiting, a guy came in wearing his riding gear that had taken a branch to the face. His lower lip, down to his chin torn. When his buddy's showed up, they came running in saying there was a guy out in the parking lot that needed a wheel chair. They help wheel him in. He's was also in his riding gear with a towel over his leg. Bleeding real bad. He took a branch to the thigh. My wife gave me the evil eye and said no bike riding for you. Man that sucks...I'm going to miss her. ;)

stainlesscycle 08-06-2010 05:37 PM

i didn't catch any shit - my gf knows the deal...but a friend of mine who was gonna start racing a series with me next year got the no-no from his wife when she saw the cast. i'm hoping he'll persuade her....

nhrider 08-06-2010 06:49 PM

LOL

Your buddy has a better chance then me. A broken collarbone, first rib, knocking myself out, a helo ride out of the woods and remembering very little for 2 1/2 weeks of my life warrants a peace time for the wife. My wife did not make me sell my bike. I choice to sell it. I figured with all the crap I put her through...it is better to lay low for now. Next spring is my target date for a new/used bike.

stainlesscycle 08-06-2010 07:02 PM

but you get to keep the 150 hp snowmobile because snow is soft when you hit it? :D

jhendr3702 08-07-2010 04:31 AM

my wife is pretty cool... back in 95 i broke my neck... c1-c2... we freaked out and sold everything, then after about 10 years when we figured out i was not an invalid and my son turned 13, we started again..

one of our friends asked her if this would get me off a bike..

she replied "if a broken neck did not, i doubt a broken ankle will "

atta girl

skid jackson 08-07-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 46954)
but you get to keep the 150 hp snowmobile because snow is soft when you hit it? :D

yes this line of thinking doesn't make sense ...
I ridden sleds in the same area as nhrider ....
you can go a butt load faster through the woods on a sled around here than you can on bike!! They run $110,000 groomers over the trails every night!! 30 mph in the tight stuff is no big deal, get on the open stuff and you can boot it up to 40 to 70 mph!! Go up north and you can do 80 to 100 plus!! Just don't get caught. In Maine they don't have a speed limit ... you can go 80 to 100 all day long if the trail can handle it and you want to!!

What do you think a tree will feel like at 45 mph?? .... never mind 70!!!

GMP 08-07-2010 08:30 PM

Compared to the last sport I was seriously involved in (deep shipwreck diving), this is a walk in the park. Several deaths a year off NJ were common and always freaked out my family, and my wife is a diver herself. So, if I get hurt and she starts complaining, I just say OK, I could sell the bike and get a new closed circuit mixed gas rebreather to go deeper and longer than ever. That usually changes her tone.

Good luck with the injuries. That impaled foot brings back memories, I have some knarly photos I should dig out.

nhrider 08-14-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skid jackson (Post 46985)
yes this line of thinking doesn't make sense ...
I ridden sleds in the same area as nhrider ....
you can go a butt load faster through the woods on a sled around here than you can on bike!! They run $110,000 groomers over the trails every night!! 30 mph in the tight stuff is no big deal, get on the open stuff and you can boot it up to 40 to 70 mph!! Go up north and you can do 80 to 100 plus!! Just don't get caught. In Maine they don't have a speed limit ... you can go 80 to 100 all day long if the trail can handle it and you want to!!

What do you think a tree will feel like at 45 mph?? .... never mind 70!!!

I just got back from vacation...no love here. LOL

The main concern is watching out for other riders on my side of the trail. Second would be icy corners. The trails are 10' to 15' +. Sled is 48-50 inches. You have a lot more room to work with. I think riding a sled feels like drive a street bike or rally car. No rocks, roots, mud to get crossed up in. I can cruise at 60 mph up in northern NH all day long. Yes, it would hurt/kill you hitting a tree at 45 mph. But then again, you could get killed going out to get the mail. Can you pick my mail up? I have a busy sled season ahead. ;)

And no...My sled is not 150 hp. Don't need it...120hp is just fine.

stainlesscycle 08-14-2010 07:12 PM

so jhendr - did you end up with a cast on that leg? mines been on for 3 weeks. comes off in 1 more week. i've been walking on it with no crutches for 2 days now, slow, but mobile. it's amazing how limiting crutches are - you don't think about things like 'how can i carry this' until you are stuck with crutches. the walking part wasn't so bad - it's the having your hands on the crutches all the time that really gets ya.

jhendr3702 08-14-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 47252)
so jhendr - did you end up with a cast on that leg? mines been on for 3 weeks. comes off in 1 more week. i've been walking on it with no crutches for 2 days now, slow, but mobile. it's amazing how limiting crutches are - you don't think about things like 'how can i carry this' until you are stuck with crutches. the walking part wasn't so bad - it's the having your hands on the crutches all the time that really gets ya.

no cast yet.. been in a boot.. today is 2 weeks and it is almost back to normal colors..go back to ortho monday to make sure it is healing ok..
i have been walking without crutches for a week now.. very slow, but as you say i can carry stuff.. still hurts...

c337b 08-15-2010 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I rolled mine Feb 28th this yr on my trials bike wearing Garne Explorers Still hurts and swells up

Frank

jhendr3702 08-15-2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c337b (Post 47263)
I rolled mine Feb 28th this yr on my trials bike wearing Garne Explorers Still hurts and swells up

Frank

that swelling looks just like mine did...

jhendr3702 08-16-2010 01:46 PM

back to the doc today... xrays all look good...

he wants 4 more weeks in the boot.... i think i have a ride coming up before that.... we will see.. he was shocked how it was not swollen and back to the correct color and not much pain...

stainlesscycle 08-16-2010 02:38 PM

my doc said come back with your shoes in 2 weeks (aug. 27). i said, not coming back. cutting it off myself on aug. 23rd.. i have to rehab to race on sept. 5/12 (can skip these ones if it's not up to strength)/18/19/26 etc... unfortunately my 18/19 races are on a left kick bike, i hope that i'll have the ankle strength

i'm hoping 3 weeks without a cast will get my ankle back to strength (i'm gonna wear a wrap style brace for at least a month i think.) i know when it comes outta the cast i'll be on crutches again for a day or 2. then i'll street ride a left shift bike for a week or so to see how it feels..

jhendr3702 08-16-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 47342)
my doc said come back with your shoes in 2 weeks (aug. 27). i said, not coming back. cutting it off myself on aug. 23rd.. i have to rehab to race on sept. 5/12 (can skip these ones if it's not up to strength)/18/19/26 etc... unfortunately my 18/19 races are on a left kick bike, i hope that i'll have the ankle strength

i'm hoping 3 weeks without a cast will get my ankle back to strength (i'm gonna wear a wrap style brace for at least a month i think.) i know when it comes outta the cast i'll be on crutches again for a day or 2. then i'll street ride a left shift bike for a week or so to see how it feels..

i am kinda figuring a couple of more weeks in the boot and i am done..
hope yours heals good also..

stainlesscycle 08-16-2010 03:40 PM

was yours fibula nondisplaced crack or break?

mine was nondisplaced fibula break. 5 weeks total cast time. i've seen others get about the same with a boot. i think the cast was better for pain elimination (pain went away in 3 days after the cast was put on..) - i did wait 2 days to get the ankle looked at originally - i couldn't bear the pain anymore..

jhendr3702 08-16-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 47347)
was yours fibula nondisplaced crack or break?

mine was nondisplaced fibula break. 5 weeks total cast time. i've seen others get about the same with a boot. i think the cast was better for pain elimination (pain went away in 3 days after the cast was put on..) - i did wait 2 days to get the ankle looked at originally - i couldn't bear the pain anymore..

dont remember... saw the exray today and fibula was cracked at the bottom and shifted a little.. he said all the spacing looked good..
i broke it saturday about noon.. rode out.. loaded up.. came home.. unloaded (with help from the wife ) and put it on ice..
sunday am, i could put zero weight on it all, so went to the er and exrayed it..

stainlesscycle 08-20-2010 10:04 AM

i took my cast off today. put a wrap type brace on it, walking around gently. feels good to me..

jhendr3702 08-20-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 47531)
i took my cast off today. put a wrap type brace on it, walking around gently. feels good to me..

sounds good... he set me an appt for sept 15... prolly wont need that..
it feels very good now, still in ortho boot... told the wife i was gonna start mowing and working around the house in my m/c boots.....

glad it is feeling better...

jay

stainlesscycle 08-20-2010 01:09 PM

i've been walking around in my street bike boots. much tighter around the ankles..

jhendr3702 08-20-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 47535)
i've been walking around in my street bike boots. much tighter around the ankles..

momma wont let me have a street bike... broke my neck in 1995 c1-c2.. had to have it fused.. have VERY limited motion in it now... to ride a streeter, i think your head should turn all the way around...
I have 17 degrees one way and 22 the other... i actually agree with her on that one..
Now i am looking for a plate able dual sport for some TAT riding and she is ok with that..

jhendr3702 09-13-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle (Post 47252)

so... stainless, have you tried to ride yet? went out saturday with a bud and his 6 yr old son... could barely shift it... raised the lever and it feels better..
no other problems, even thru whoops it felt ok...