Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Product Reviews (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Clark Tank verses Stabilizer (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11526)

Idahocharley 01-28-2012 11:05 PM

Clark Tank verses Stabilizer

Bought one of the underbar stabilizers and a larger clark tank. Tank hits stabilizer post.... grrrr. Anyone running a larger clark tank and a stabilizer - how did you do it......

2011 EC 300 6 day

thumperrider1 01-29-2012 07:17 AM

I had a very similar problem with my 09 RMZ450 using the IMS tank and a GPR.

I ended up grinding some material off the damper post collar and damper arm and also used a heat gun on the tank. I used a 1/2 drive ratchet extension to shape the tank while it was hot. These were the "before" pics.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...errider1/5.jpg

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...errider1/1.jpg

Just make sure the wall thickness on the clarke is decent on the front area. Obviously I would try to shape the tank before grinding anything on the damper.....

Idahocharley 01-29-2012 02:21 PM

So you heated up the front area on the tank with a heat gun until it was pliable then used a socket to shape the area for clearance?

(The stock shrouds fit like crap on the clarke tank also. Just reviewed an old posting noting the same thing last year from another Idahoan)

I take it you did not heat the socket - correct?

husley 01-29-2012 03:04 PM

I spoke with Clarke last week, they assured me their tank would be compatible with my GPR. Im on a 2010 but same frame. Ugh

tnttimber 01-29-2012 08:43 PM

I've got a Scotts damper with a post from brp and it clears just fine. Mine is a 2010.

thumperrider1 01-29-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idahocharley (Post 78755)
So you heated up the front area on the tank with a heat gun until it was pliable then used a socket to shape the area for clearance?

(The stock shrouds fit like crap on the clarke tank also. Just reviewed an old posting noting the same thing last year from another Idahoan)

I take it you did not heat the socket - correct?

That's correct.

Idahocharley 02-01-2012 01:04 PM

Good news for me - sort of.

Clarke is allowing me to return the tank to them and will post something on their site which indicates that these tanks do not work will for the 2011 model year bikes.

Numerous compliants for the 2011 years fitment but they DO WORK on 2010 year bikes. I do not know what the differences are between 2010 and 2011 gasgas models although clarke indicated they suspected the OEM shrouds had been changed.

The Clarke tank fit the 2011 frame but had to be slide all the way up to the steering head for the shroud fasteners to be even close to lining up. Even then - the shrouds did not fit the wings on the tank and there would of been some serious tweaking necessary both with the tank wings and the shrouds to allow an acceptable arrangement. If you were looking to run a steering stabilizer (like I am) it would involve some reforming on the front portion of the tank - maybe twice as much as the earlier picture posted in this thread.

Thumbs up to Clarke for recognizing the problem - Now we just need to have a company address the needs for a tank to fit the 2011 (and up??) bikes - I still want and need a larger tank.

husley 02-01-2012 01:40 PM

:)

Thanks for the update, VERY helpful as I have a 10' and going to purchase a tank

cascade_crawler 02-01-2012 02:56 PM

not good as I have a 2011 and need a larger tank.

twowheels 02-01-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idahocharley (Post 78996)
Good news for me - sort of.

Clarke is allowing me to return the tank to them and will post something on their site which indicates that these tanks do not work will for the 2011 model year bikes.

Numerous compliants for the 2011 years fitment but they DO WORK on 2010 year bikes. I do not know what the differences are between 2010 and 2011 gasgas models although clarke indicated they suspected the OEM shrouds had been changed.

The Clarke tank fit the 2011 frame but had to be slide all the way up to the steering head for the shroud fasteners to be even close to lining up. Even then - the shrouds did not fit the wings on the tank and there would of been some serious tweaking necessary both with the tank wings and the shrouds to allow an acceptable arrangement. If you were looking to run a steering stabilizer (like I am) it would involve some reforming on the front portion of the tank - maybe twice as much as the earlier picture posted in this thread.

Thumbs up to Clarke for recognizing the problem - Now we just need to have a company address the needs for a tank to fit the 2011 (and up??) bikes - I still want and need a larger tank.

A couple of questions - have you tweaked your radiators at all, or are you running braces that hold them more forward than normal? Did Clarke offer to let you try more than one tank?

Here's why - to the best of my knowledge the only difference between the '10 and '11 frames is the color. Same goes for the shrouds. The radiators should be the same with the exception of the deletion of the expansion tank in 2011. Aftermarket fuel tank manufacturers don't seem to hold to the same standards on sizing as OEs do - I wonder if the specific tank you tried would even fit on a 2010.