Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rich or Lean (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9937)

dickieshep 06-17-2011 12:11 PM

Rich or Lean

I am new to 2 strokes and have an EC300 that is running rough.

In first gear on a barely open throttle it feels like it is stuttering and continues this way upto about half throttle.

Can someone please tell me what it would feel like if it was running lean and running rich.

Thanks.

lankydoug 06-17-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickieshep (Post 65422)
I am new to 2 strokes and have an EC300 that is running rough.

In first gear on a barely open throttle it feels like it is stuttering and continues this way upto about half throttle.

Can someone please tell me what it would feel like if it was running lean and running rich.

Thanks.

It would help to know what your current settings. The main controls 1/2 to full throttle so what you need to know is pilot size and how many turns out on the air screw as well as which needle and which notch the clip is in the needle.

You could start by turning the air screw one way or the other and see if it gets better or worse.

gasgasman 06-17-2011 02:45 PM

If it is the Air Striker II, it would be rich.

The AS II likes to be jetted lean, the needle also plays a major part in the jetting now.

Jakobi 06-17-2011 06:35 PM

Second that its most likely rich.. Pull the choke on and see if it gets worse to confirm.

A rich condition will burble ba baba baba ba kind of like and won't want to rev.
A lean condition goes flat for a moment and then twangs with a surge of power. Booo waahh! sound.

Now close your eyes and imagine me making those sounds :p

nambo-trev 06-17-2011 06:57 PM

how does that sound go again?????lol:D

mrkartoom 06-17-2011 08:02 PM

I agree it is very likely too rich. Anytime you get sputtering and not revving cleanly you're usually rich. I also describe it as "breaking up", like running with the choke on. Do what Jakobi says and pull the choke on when running. I'll bet it gets even worse.

dickieshep 06-18-2011 02:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Choke out makes no difference, so how do I lean it up a bit:confused:

wasp4banger 06-18-2011 04:45 AM

I'd try dropping the needle by one clip position to see if this helps

dickieshep 06-18-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasp4banger (Post 65458)
I'd try dropping the needle by one clip position to see if this helps

Cheers for that.

dickieshep 06-18-2011 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakobi (Post 65443)
Second that its most likely rich.. Pull the choke on and see if it gets worse to confirm.

A rich condition will burble ba baba baba ba kind of like and won't want to rev.
A lean condition goes flat for a moment and then twangs with a surge of power. Booo waahh! sound.

Now close your eyes and imagine me making those sounds :p

Suprisingly that really helped! think mine is running rich. :D