Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Seized front axle (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23617)

sheepy 06-05-2018 04:05 PM

Seized front axle

I tied to remove my front wheel today to just do some general maintenance. Front wheel bearings.
Tyre change
Fork seals
Well anyway when I went to remove the front axle it seems like the center bush has seized on to the axle I?ve tried knocking it out with a socket while pulling on the other side but no luck just spreading the forks apart I tried adding a little heat but still no luck I don?t want to damage the forks by spreading them to much or anything. Has anyone made a puller with some tube and threaded bar so you could pull out the axle without spreading the forks?
Also anyone know the numbers off the bearings so I can order them ready for when it finally comes apart ?

sheepy 06-05-2018 04:10 PM

Does anyone have the measurements for the axle OD of the smaller part where the end cap screws in and the OD where the axle puller is located cheers it?s a 2012 model as well cheers

gasgasman 06-05-2018 06:45 PM

Take off the complete front end of the bike.
Slide the forks off the axle.
Tap the axle out.
The bearings will come out of the wheel on one side,
along with the center spacer.
You can then apply heat to the spacer.

There's no snap rings on the front wheel.

nknudsen 06-06-2018 07:35 AM

The quick action of an air hammer might help you out too. Make sure to use the blunt end attachment for removal.

Zman 06-06-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 183647)
Take off the complete front end of the bike.
Slide the forks off the axle.
Tap the axle out.
The bearings will come out of the wheel on one side,
along with the center spacer.
You can then apply heat to the spacer.

There's no snap rings on the front wheel.

I fully agree!

sheepy 06-07-2018 04:03 PM

Got it out. So simple why didn?t I think of it :o
Just remove front forks slide of the axle and knock the shaft out the right hand side. Heated up the aluminium center bush and that just slid off. The bearing proved a bit more of a challenge tried to hit it off with a hammer no luck so had to use the hydraulic press at work. Damaged the threads a little but just cleaned it up in the lathe and happy days just waiting for new bearings then back together with plenty of grease... now on to the fork seals😳 fun times. Hopefully be ready for the hare and hound Sunday

gasgasman 06-07-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepy (Post 183675)
Got it out. So simple why didn?t I think of it :o

That's why these forums are the "authority" on helping fellow GasGas riders. :D

Thompo 06-08-2018 03:55 AM

check the lands on the axle where the bearings run.

My Axle had a bit wear IWO the bearings (only few thou), I got about 4hrs out of 2 sets of wheel bearings.

Took it to a machine shop, I was going to build up weld and have them turn it back on the lathe it to restore the diameter.
Rather than risk any heat on an unknown material he Knurled the worn area to restore the diameter. Put around 12hrs on the current bearings and its holding up well.