Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bike running hot - check impeller? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2992)

stay_upright 07-07-2008 05:21 AM

Bike running hot - check impeller?

After 1 year of no use really my bike did not carburate cleanly (as it did before) and so i have leaned it off to achicve this. Also though it is running hot to the point where it can start to boil over at the top of a tricky hill but when i have not got stuck - this has never happened to me before on a 2 stroke....

So I would like to check the impeller as i've heard it mentioned on here before but what am I looking for? Does a LTR one flow more coolant so keep things cooler?

I did a search for HOT on this forum and the search returned nothing I assume there is a fault with the search function? I can't believe no-one has ever mentioned HOT before in a post...

Eric K 07-07-2008 07:55 AM

When I rebuilt my '06 EC300 last winter the stock impeller was nearly completely eroded away at 90 hours.

I run the LTR impellers in both of my GasGas 300's. They are top notch.

Also check you water pump seal, as I have had 5 of them fail over the years.

stay_upright 07-07-2008 08:16 AM

Thanks Eric - will check the impeller. here in teh UK it's hard to get hold of the LTR bits I've asked Go Fasters if they will ship a LTR jet kit out - is there anyone else that would ship the kit and an impeller out to the UK?

I may be able to get a friend to collect some parts while he is in the U.S shortly but I did that last year and it was such a pain to get the parts delivered to a hotel on time from GF's and to persuade my friend to collect them that I really don't want to do it again.

stay_upright 07-07-2008 01:04 PM

I've just checked the impeller and it looks fine though it was a cream/green color which is a bit strange for plastic and also the central bolt was rusty.

Back to looking at the jetting then...

JoshP 07-07-2008 01:13 PM

If you had no boil over issues prior to lean the gas out then I would say that is your issue but after having the carb issue did you take apart the carb and check / clean it? Or just lean out the air screw? After a couple months of sitting I would totally clean out the carb along with checking the reeds. If you haven't done this and had no previous issues with your jetting I would not think you need to adjust what you have.

stay_upright 07-07-2008 02:44 PM

Yes I was thinking what has changed - I even wonder if I am looking back with rose tinted glasses!

I think i'll have to check the carb even though I guess it's running richer so would not tie up with gunk etc blocking a jet.

I also wonder if it's possible to run the bike lean so that it is borderline boiling over when riding/racing normally? Since this is mostly low speed riding I dont know. I could understand it more if it was wide open throttle

stay_upright 07-07-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric K (Post 18649)
When I rebuilt my '06 EC300 last winter the stock impeller was nearly completely eroded away at 90 hours.

I run the LTR impellers in both of my GasGas 300's. They are top notch.

Also check you water pump seal, as I have had 5 of them fail over the years.

What are the signs the stock impeller has eroded?

And what are the signs the water pump seal has gone?

Thanks again.

stay_upright 07-10-2008 02:14 AM

There was a ton of grass in the radiator louvres. I had not been removing them when washing since I have the LTR rad guards and you have to dissemble then to get the louvres out however I have now removed the top black plastic spacer so can get them out easily.

Still wondering whether to get some engine ice - probably a good idea as insurance.

Eric K 07-10-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stay_upright (Post 18665)
What are the signs the stock impeller has eroded?

And what are the signs the water pump seal has gone?

Thanks again.

The stock impeller erodes to the point of not flowing coolant which will result in overheating.

When the water pump seal goes you see oil floating in the top of your coolant and/or a a milky mixture when you drain the transmission.