Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   SouthEast United States (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Places to live in southern Kentucky if you ride a lot (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20405)

forgiven 10-24-2015 08:33 AM

Places to live in southern Kentucky if you ride a lot

Trying to decide where to retire and so far I am down to Kentucky and Tennessee.

Looking for places that are close ish to a good sized town < 1.5 hours but I want to be closer <15 minutes from lots of riding. Plenty of nice single track the wife and I could ride with some more difficult for me and the friends I make when I get there.

Suggestions?

twowheels 10-24-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgiven (Post 158756)
Trying to decide where to retire and so far I am down to Kentucky and Tennessee.

Looking for places that are close ish to a good sized town < 1.5 hours but I want to be closer <15 minutes from lots of riding. Plenty of nice single track the wife and I could ride with some more difficult for me and the friends I make when I get there.

Suggestions?

That's a good position to be in Steve! Enjoy the retirement, and especially the riding.

12Bravo 10-24-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Suggestions?

Tennessee! I live in Eastern TN we have a few places to ride. Look into the Knoxville area. Not to mention it is cheaper to live in TN than KY, which is why I also moved here. Being on a fixed income, cheaper is better (More money for toys and play).

memphis2857 10-24-2015 12:02 PM

Considering pretty much all of bell county KY is dedicated to off-road I would think right on the TN KY border along I-75 would be heaven on earth. Only problem is the SxS guys have taken over down there. But you still have Redbird Crest in Daniel Boone. I would say that is quite possibly 70 miles of the best trail on planet earth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swazi_matt 10-24-2015 01:36 PM

Deep South ... Swaziland, pension in dollars will make you a king

12Bravo 10-24-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis2857 (Post 158759)
Considering pretty much all of bell county KY is dedicated to off-road I would think right on the TN KY border along I-75 would be heaven on earth. Only problem is the SxS guys have taken over down there. But you still have Redbird Crest in Daniel Boone. I would say that is quite possibly 70 miles of the best trail on planet earth!

I have to agree! I like my quad, but at times being worried about a flying SxS scares the crap out of me! They win and my body losses!

12Bravo 10-24-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 158766)
Deep South ... Swaziland, pension in dollars will make you a king

Seriously?

What US per month income would be needed to live well and SAFE there?

forgiven 10-24-2015 04:38 PM

Where is Swaziland?

12Bravo 10-24-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgiven (Post 158771)
Where is Swaziland?

I had to look it up also. Little country next to South Africa.....lol

Youtube some videos about it, there are some interesting and eye :eek: opening one...:D

gasser 10-24-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Suggestions?

The Caryville/Jacksboro/La Follette area is 30 minutes north of Knoxville, TN on interstate 75. Caryville sits right on I75, Jacksboro is just 2 miles east of Caryville, and La Follette is just 4 miles east of Jacksboro. From Caryville the north side of Windrock (77,000 acres also known as Coal Creek) is only about 20 minutes away, Royal Blue (over 125,000 acres) is less than 15 minutes, Brimstone (maybe 50,000 acres) is probably only 45-50 minutes, and Daniel Boone in Kentucky would be less than 2 hours. - Ken

swazi_matt 10-25-2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Bravo (Post 158768)
Seriously?

What US per month income would be needed to live well and SAFE there?

Well 70% of the population lives on less than 1$/day ...

You can probably buy/build a decent house in a private golf estate (near some of the most awesome and tough riding terrain in the country) for about $120,000 and safety is not a big issue like it is in South Africa

Yes interesting place, bit of a honey trap

Rod Overstreet 10-25-2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Suggestions?

You won't find any of that in KY, sorry. I live in the little town of Campbellsville, south central KY. It's a 3 hour drive in any direction before you will find public riding lands and then, it's all beat up SXS roads, so hard packed they are "blue". Even the pay to play area's are hammered up by ATV, SXS and trucks.

Memphis mentioned Redbird, and yes there some good (advanced) trails there but these are located in the Daniel Boone National Forest which means...it could all end tomorrow and without warning. On the western side of the state, you have the Turkey Bay ORV area but the trail conditions there are now past the rock base. Completely worn out. They also claim 100 miles of trail. Wrong. There MIGHT be 35 miles...maybe.

The sad fact is, your not going to find allot of single track anywhere in the SE unless your racing HS or enduro. But hey...if you find it down here, let me know ;)

Here is a tool I use in finding riding areas but keep in mind, the people who write the reviews are generally ATV / SXS folks. http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/

gasser 10-25-2015 02:09 PM

The area north of Knoxville is absolutely motorcycle heaven. Dirt bikes, dual sport, or street there may not be any better place in the US this side of the Mississippi river. Most of this area was coal country back in the day and that means access roads that used to be railroad beds. Railway beds are built on a rock base so they are not quickly overgrown like logging roads. I can't think of a better area for dual sporting and the north end of Coal Creek(Windrock) has the best single track trails i.m.o. in the state. This area is nestled between the Cumberland mountain range and the Appalachian range and both have awesome backroads for knee dragging on a street bike. Add in lower property costs than most states, much lower property taxes, and no state income tax.

Rod Overstreet 10-25-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasser (Post 158792)
The area north of Knoxville is absolutely motorcycle heaven. Dirt bikes, dual sport, or street there may not be any better place in the US this side of the Mississippi river. Most of this area was coal country back in the day and that means access roads that used to be railroad beds. Railway beds are built on a rock base so they are not quickly overgrown like logging roads. I can't think of a better area for dual sporting and the north end of Coal Creek(Windrock) has the best single track trails i.m.o. in the state. This area is nestled between the Cumberland mountain range and the Appalachian range and both have awesome backroads for knee dragging on a street bike. Add in lower property costs than most states, much lower property taxes, and no state income tax.

I agree somewhat on Coal Creek north side but the problem there is, those trails are "Whose your daddy trails" The Out of town guy will never find them. Once again from what I've seen in that part of the world...the best stuff is kept secret by the locals...and I can't blame them really. I spent 2 weeks cutting allot of trail for the SETRA Coal Creek Enduro back in the day. Good stuff yes!!!! But not the best IMO. Still...worlds better than what we have in KY. Durhamtown, GA Cedartown, GA and Westpoint, TN... that's more like it :)

Rod Overstreet 10-25-2015 06:19 PM

Gasser Ride

I think Gasser should be the trail boss for a Coal Creek / Gas Gas group ride. Say when Gasser! :)

cbutler 10-25-2015 06:43 PM

I second that !!!!!!!!

It would be a good reason to go see a old riding bud too.

So when is this going down Ken ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rod Overstreet 10-26-2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbutler (Post 158797)
I second that !!!!!!!!

It would be a good reason to go see a old riding bud too.

So when is this going down Ken ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree. Haven't seen the old man since 2010 at the LL Demo Ride.

memphis2857 10-26-2015 09:41 AM

Can I still come even though my bike is a different shade of red now?

cbutler 10-26-2015 07:40 PM

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Rod Overstreet 10-27-2015 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbutler (Post 158825)
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Maybe Gasser has gone riding :)

forgiven 10-29-2015 05:49 PM

Hey Ken

What would be the chances of bringing Sam and a few respectful buddies down for spring break? I am thinking like 4-5 days.

gasser 10-30-2015 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgiven (Post 158976)
Hey Ken

What would be the chances of bringing Sam and a few respectful buddies down for spring break? I am thinking like 4-5 days.

That would be awesome. Most of the logging has stopped and the trails are much better now. I plan to join the Knoxville dirtbike club so I can work with them and learn the good trails at Windrock/Coal Creek.

forgiven 10-30-2015 12:45 PM

You just made my day!

Rod Overstreet 11-01-2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis2857 (Post 158805)
Can I still come even though my bike is a different shade of red now?

I don't see why not. Just bring your own tow rope :D

Rod Overstreet 11-01-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasser (Post 158984)
That would be awesome. Most of the logging has stopped and the trails are much better now. I plan to join the Knoxville dirtbike club so I can work with them and learn the good trails at Windrock/Coal Creek.

If you find a trail on the north side that leads to a steeeeeep downhill then at the bottom you climb up and over an old car....think of me OK? :D

memphis2857 11-02-2015 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet (Post 159064)
I don't see why not. Just bring your own tow rope :D

Lol. Why you always gotta be so hard on me?

Rod Overstreet 11-02-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis2857 (Post 159102)
Lol. Why you always gotta be so hard on me?

Just remember when I'm picking on you, I'm giving someone else a break :) BTW...good ride this weekend.

memphis2857 11-02-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet (Post 159107)
Just remember when I'm picking on you, I'm giving someone else a break :) BTW...good ride this weekend.

Lol. Thanks