Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Techniques & Training (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Too Tall to Stand?? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1129)

Texas Gasser 06-06-2007 09:44 AM

Too Tall to Stand??

I'm roughly 6'4" and do most of my riding on flat to fairly hilly open and wooded trails... I haven't been riding long (maybe 2 yrs.)... I would consider myself a mostly sit-down rider but I am trying to learn the stand-up technique... My biggest obstacle seems to be my height... Because I am so tall, I find myself having to bend way over at the waist placing me too far over the handlbars without enough weight on the pegs...

Do any of you have experience with "handlebar risers?"... I know they are available but am wondering if they really work well... Are they strong enough to withstand the pressures of enduro/trail riding?... Do they create any problems with bike handling or steering?

Thanks!!

juzzasmith 06-06-2007 10:07 AM

I'm 6'3'' and have similar problems, used to use some Renthal Dakar High bars which were certainly higher than stock and helped with standing up, but I found that they made it hard to get to get enough weight over the front when sitting down and cornering hard.

Another problem is that if you raise the bars you will probably have to run a longer throttle cable, especially on a Gasser.

Personally I went back to standard height bars as I felt the benefit of easier standing was outweighed by the loss of feel and control that I had whilst cornering.

JoshP 06-06-2007 11:11 AM

They work just fine and I use them myself. I'm only 6'0 but I ride with 2 cats that are even taller than the both of you and they have no issues with them.
Although when learning to stand people make the mistake of standing straight up and not in the "attack" position. Your knees should be bent aggresively basically keep your butt just about 5 inches from the seat and your arms should be bent at the elbow almost a 45 degree angle. Otherwise just standing makes you very top heavy and gives you little room to move with the bike when things go wrong. Try the rises on the bar and get that attack stance down, the rest is butter. Good luck with it! - Josh

PEB 06-06-2007 05:23 PM

I really like the tall seat foam on my bike. If you are going to raise the bars get an under the bar damper mount and kill several fowl with one rock.

Paul B

tprnottp 06-06-2007 10:56 PM

I'm 6'1" and weigh more than I would like to post. The best thing I've done so far is to open up the cockpit by using TAG mini highs and BRP top triple clamps with an elevated rubber-mounted bar mount centered over the forks.

This combination has really helped me heft my large butt with a lot more ease.

As well, I'm running Jim Cook's world-famous tall seat foam. The total effect of the combination above on my bike's ergos has been extremely favorable.

TP
'03 EC 300

blitz11 06-07-2007 07:52 AM

I'm 6' 4", and run tall seat foam and Jimmy Button bend Renthal bars. Works great for me, and eliminates the need for bar risers. It might work for you.

blitz

matt4wheels 06-08-2007 08:59 PM

6'6" using BRP tall bar clamps, ProTaper KX High bars and a tall firm seat.

KicksonR66 11-07-2007 05:38 AM

We may need a section for taller riders, I'm 6'4 and have trouble getting my right leg up high enough to kick mine over comfortably. If it's cold or I'm on unlevel ground it's easier to get off and kick with my left. Anyone else have the same problem?

Bearman 11-07-2007 11:17 PM

i found this on the Aussie GasGas site and thought it might help you

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.gasgasaustralia.com,au
Cutting the foot peg spring lugs and placing them on the top side of each peg and swapping the springs from right to left will lower the pegs about 15mm for taller riders that need extra leg room.

Metalefty 11-13-2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearman (Post 9894)
i found this on the Aussie GasGas site and thought it might help you

I've done that and kept it that way but my feet drag more often.