Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   seating the bead (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15114)

bluespark 05-31-2013 10:38 PM

seating the bead

So I just changed out the MX tire on my new bike to my favorite MT-43 trials tire and am having the same problem I always do. The bead does not seat right away.
I get the new tire installed and inflated to up to 60 lbs, but the bead does not seat itself. If I ride the bike off road for a little bit the bead will usually set, but I was just wondering if there is an easier way to do this? my 12v compressor is for sure slow, do I need a real 120v compressor to shock it into submission?

Jakobi 05-31-2013 10:42 PM

Over inflate it and bounce it on the workshop floor a bit opposite where you want it to set. Rotate it around and keep bouncing until all looks good. I used to only use a hand pump and always set the bead this way. Also depends what you use to lube the bead. I generally just use some talc power, I imagine soapy water or proper lube would be easier though ;)

swazi_matt 06-01-2013 01:22 AM

Use lots of soapy water when mounting the tire also helps (or tire mounting lube that the auto places use if you can get it)

Stoby 06-01-2013 02:30 AM

beat it!

Rubber mallet -hit the tire and the rim, also soapy water always helps me.
Stoby

Jakobi 06-01-2013 03:45 AM

PS. If you do decide to use talc powder, don't then decide to back it up with soapy water. It'll make a big mess! :D

Coop 06-01-2013 06:48 AM

I use talc on the tube, then Windex on the tire. I was using soapy water for years and years but read too many stories of corrosion caused by the soap so I switched to Windex at the advice of some old timers and it works well.

I also use Jake's bouncing technique for the bead.

cbutler 06-01-2013 11:35 AM

I use WD-40 to lube and inflate to 50 lbs if it has a spot that does not set I go get a beer buy the time I drink it the bead is set. The WD-40 will evaporate in a few hours.

motogroove 06-01-2013 11:40 AM

I use Armor All for lube.

pscook 06-01-2013 12:12 PM

NoMar tire paste. Bead sets at 10-12 psi. Magical stuff!

modette 06-01-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscook (Post 113179)
NoMar tire paste. Bead sets at 10-12 psi. Magical stuff!

Or their spray stuff which is the paste diluted in water I just keep making more with the tub of paste I have...LOL

Off-road I have not had an issue even with Desert IT that are so stiff they all seat. Street bikes even with past sometimes you get that tire that just does not want to seat. If its my own bike I just go for a ride around and it seats.

If its someone else's bike I take the air out bounce it around, spray some more lube and hit it again with the air compressor. You can also use a ratchet strap full circle around the tire and pop it into place that way.

Off road I'm not that worried and like I said I never had a tire yet seat. My No-Mar Pro Changer goes unused nowadays...off road tires are so easy to install.