Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Sticker Kit Peeling (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15545)

swazi_matt 08-02-2013 10:08 AM

Sticker Kit Peeling

On my original kit, the stickers on the radiator shrouds started to peel off and i could never get it back permanently - ended up just trimming them away from my knees.

I have just received my new cervantes plastic and stickers and see that some of the corners are not stuck down properly and want to make sure that they are glued for good before i use them, so thought i would ask for any tips - superglue, pvc plumbers glue, flour and spit??

pscook 08-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 116969)
On my original kit, the stickers on the radiator shrouds started to peel off and i could never get it back permanently - ended up just trimming them away from my knees.

I have just received my new cervantes plastic and stickers and see that some of the corners are not stuck down properly and want to make sure that they are glued for good before i use them, so thought i would ask for any tips - superglue, pvc plumbers glue, flour and spit??

I ordered a complete kit for my 2002 (2005 red plastics with stickers installed), and they were peeling off right out of the box. I tried super glue as well as some other non-super glue (I can picture it, can't remember the name), but neither worked. I have yet to receive the warranty plastics, but I was told that some plastics have this problem and some don't, but it is a factory problem.

That doesn't help, sorry, but I know that super glue doesn't work and neither does the other glue (it'll come to me later, I'm sure). Honestly, the super glue was the worst of the two. You need something that will bond with the plastic as well as work with the current adhesive, and that is a tough nut to crack. Maybe 3M spray adhesive?

gasgasman 08-02-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swazi_matt (Post 116969)
flour and spit??

Only if you're building a kite.;)

Clear nail polish works well on the leading edges to prevent further peeling.

StuJohnson 08-02-2013 03:51 PM

I have had good luck with super glue in mine.

Rick 08-02-2013 04:14 PM

I have used a heat gun as well with good results.

husley 08-02-2013 06:07 PM

2010 that also has recently began to have peeling graphics.

Grip glue worked on mine

GasGas 08-03-2013 04:33 AM

3M Super 77 available at most paint and hardware stores.

The_Italian 12-09-2013 04:32 PM

have you tried ....

have you tried a very small amount of paint thinner on the glue side ?
When making airplanes....yes airplaines... I saw glue being applied and let dry.
then when you were ready to bond the parts togheter a little amount of thinner on the glue re-activate it.
I'll try myself have the same issue.

JP4 12-09-2013 05:25 PM

If you're putting graphics on new plastic it is essential to clean the plastic to remove the mould release agent and other slippery stuff that may be on the plastic. I've used hot soapy water, rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner with good effect.

When I put down new graphics, invariably the leading edges overs contours don't stick 100%. Where I can I trim with a razor knife to minimize unstuck leading edges. Then, I use Gorilla brand super glue to lay down a seam along the leading edge. Kind of have to finesse a little glue under the leading edge of the graphic, and some in front of it. It's runny glue, so best if the plastic is off the bike so you can move it around to keep the glue where you want it as it sets up - it sets up quick. This keeps dirt from getting under the graphic and then peeling.

A bit of work, but it keeps the graphics stuck.

Darkside 12-09-2013 07:17 PM

I also use a heat gun. keep the heat moving to work out the bubbles and almost melt the stickers to the point that they relax in place. When they cool, they keep the form to the plastic better.