Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Massive fuel consumption & smoke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23627)

Oilydub 06-11-2018 03:09 PM

Massive fuel consumption & smoke

Hi, first post on here but have been reading for a while.
2015 EC300 Racing all standard (as far as I know) apart from 52 rear sprocket :)
Quite low hours & decent condition.
50:1 ratio using Putoline MX7 fully synthetic.
Was racing an Enduro at the weekend, dropped her on a slow corner & stalled.
When I picked her up she was difficult to start at first & then wouldn't tick over.
Continued the race but she used nearly twice as much fuel as usual.
One of my m8s said she had been badly smoking the whole race.
Filter was well clogged with dust so I put my spare on but she stills smokes like a chimney but revs reasonably well.
When i tapped the carb fuel came out the overflow.
Any ideas?
Steve

Oilydub 06-11-2018 05:13 PM

After talking through with a m8 the higher fuel consumption may be down to the 52 rear sprocket which had been put on for the race (originally had 48).
Course was tight twisty with no real areas to open up for long.
Race day was very hot & dusty & first time I had used in these conditions (only used it four times before in damp & dull conditions).
Would the mixture screw cause over fueling & excess smoke if turned in to far, as the plastic head looks pretty messed up?

memphis2857 06-11-2018 07:25 PM

Sounds like the float level is way too high and most of your fuel is running out in the ground. A 52 vs. 48 sprocket is barely going to show a noticeable difference in fuel consumption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swazi_matt 06-11-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphis2857 (Post 183725)
Sounds like the float level is way too high and most of your fuel is running out in the ground. A 52 vs. 48 sprocket is barely going to show a noticeable difference in fuel consumption

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try looping the ov rflow pipe to see if it improves

(F5) 06-12-2018 03:02 AM

Read threads on setting float height. Then the ones on throwing away the stock needle. Then be prepared for a much better running bike.
Repack your muffler once you're done as it will be full of goop.

Oilydub 06-12-2018 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (F5) (Post 183735)
Read threads on setting float height. Then the ones on throwing away the stock needle. Then be prepared for a much better running bike.
Repack your muffler once you're done as it will be full of goop.

Just drained the crankcase & fuel came out so at least I know for sure its over fueling.
Carb is now off so about to clean & check it to see whats in it.
Will read up on the float height, needle etc. Looks a minefield though :(

swazi_matt 06-12-2018 04:42 AM

I did 110km on the weekend and didn’t go onto reserve. Single track and forest switchback roads, but before setting the float height and looping the overflow I would battle to get 70km

(F5) 06-12-2018 04:43 AM

So there will always be some residue, maybe a tablespoon of clean oily goop.

More than than then its not over fueling; it's leaking in. Check needle valve and hairs that can cause leaks. Drain tank, check tap. Remove tap. A mate had same thing happen and was lots of rubbish in bottom of tank.

It dumped 1/2 A tank in the back of my van and then blew through the next tank scary quick on the track. How could I forget That? Had to strip carpet out.

Oilydub 06-12-2018 05:44 AM

Carb apart, it has the N1EF needle with the clip second from top.
Main jet 175
Pilot 40 but the pilot is blocked !!!!!
Will clean the pilot & the tank as suggested & set the float height.
Don't want to change parts for the sake of it but what needle would be suitable for the future.
Bike only used for racing enduro's, altitide sea level to about 300 metres.
Swazi matt what exactly do you mean by looping the overflow?
Sorry about all the questions, new to Gasgas I usually race a 1980 KDX175 (nice & simple).

Neil E. 06-12-2018 11:38 AM

Your fuel consumption will be bad until you get rid of the N1EF.