Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Electrical & Wiring (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Hotter Spark Plug? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7289)

Todd5774 05-11-2010 09:00 AM

Hotter Spark Plug?

Running a 2002 ec 300 with a full Dep system, powervalve spacer, 0-500ft.

In normal operation the bike runs strong with no bogging and hesitation, and very rarely fouls a plug, however did a enduro at the weekend and was running in 2nd 3rd most of the time rarely getting into the powerband, and i must of gone through 8 plugs in the 3hr race! Spoke to my mate after who is rides a rm 250 and he didnt have a problem at all , but mentioned that he was running a hotter plug just for that race as he knew it would be rutty and slow.

So my question is can we run a hotter plug in our bikes or is it not an option? would it be better to change the jetting for the race?

bchatt 05-11-2010 12:10 PM

For the past few months I have been running a BR7ES which is 1 step hotter than the standard BR8ES. I tried this to see if I could get rid of the slight fouling/hesitation that occurred when winding open the throttle after a patch of slow running. The result is some improvement but the hesitation is not entirely gone. I have not had any bad effects.

marjastaja 05-11-2010 12:46 PM

I started now run enduro after one summer of mx on my Gasser.
First times I opened wide and to the powerband, it started bogging and didn't take rpm. So I opened the air screw from carburetor for 1/2 turns and it helped pretty much. I've also thouht about a iridium plug. It should maybe help bogging.

Nick 05-11-2010 05:26 PM

A hotter plug is fine unless you run wide open throttle alot.

Todd5774 05-12-2010 05:10 AM

Thanks for the answers guys going to buy some Br7's and some Br6's and have a bit of a play to see what the difference is.
Will let you know how i get on.:)

gregtenerife 05-13-2010 10:00 AM

plug

I switched to a 6es after a plug foul about 2 years ago, I still run on the same plug. About 4000 km without a problem. Hope this helps

marjastaja 05-13-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 43571)
A hotter plug is fine unless you run wide open throttle alot.

So if I run mx, I would be able to go for a BR9 plug to run engine cooler?

moto9 05-14-2010 10:18 AM

I have no problem with a BR8EIX,in my 08 and I ride tech stuff with a lot of bogging around. plug has good tan color
I think your jetting is off and a hotter plug is not the way to remedy that.
You may try a different needle like a cck, or start by dropping the needle that's in there see if it cleans up some....if so and you run out of clip positions then a leaner main jet may next.

eff 05-14-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto9 (Post 43715)
I have no problem with a BR8EIX,in my 08 and I ride tech stuff with a lot of bogging around. plug has good tan color
I think your jetting is off and a hotter plug is not the way to remedy that.
You may try a different needle like a cck, or start by dropping the needle that's in there see if it cleans up some....if so and you run out of clip positions then a leaner main jet may next.

I just tried a BR8EIX for this season. We will see if it's worth the $. I only use one a year so it's not really an issue.

I agree with above though, a different plug is not the way to address jetting issues. Work on your jetting to solve the issue.

kendunn 05-14-2010 04:58 PM

Check your float level, these bikes are known to foul plugs if it gets off just a bit. I think part of the problem is the carb is hard to keep level as the tank wants to twist it to one side. Drop your float level just a tad and see what happens before you change plugs. My sons 250 would foul his plug every time he went down a long hill. No problems at all now. Whatever you do I wouldn't go past a 7, starts getting risky. If its jetted right it won't need anything but an 8. Don't compensate one problem and create another. :D