Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   GG ec300 - too small (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8900)

Richard 02-15-2011 05:00 AM

GG ec300 - too small

Hi, I am looking to buy an EC 300 05 for my first bike :). I am 6'4" and 90kgs without gear. I have heard (from the internet...) that the ergo's are small. I have found one with raised bars, but will it be too small for my lanky frame?

Soon to be Gasser.

husley 02-15-2011 06:41 AM

Me too

I just got my first GG a month ago, 2010 300.

I am 6 2' and I stand 90% of the time (I'm a trials guy).

Stock the bike was a bit cramped, I raised the bars 1" and it is almost right. I'm going to do the peg mod today and hopefully it will be perfect.

J

Bobt250 02-15-2011 07:18 AM

I don't think the difference in ergos between the GG and anything else is noticeable enough to change a decision on buying one. I think it seems small because there is no tank in front of you. It's perhaps a bit of an illusion.

bukwheat 02-15-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobt250 (Post 57440)
I don't think the difference in ergos between the GG and anything else is noticeable enough to change a decision on buying one. I think it seems small because there is no tank in front of you. It's perhaps a bit of an illusion.

I agree, its probably no more than a couple of millimeters one way or the other. And at 6'4", there probably isn't a bike made that wouldn't feel a little cramped to you....you could always go for the leg reduction procedure but thats a bit extreme...:D:rolleyes:

HuskyDude 02-15-2011 08:59 AM

Having a Husky and a Gas Gas. I can say the Husky is a larger frame bike about an inch everywhere. Try one if you get a chance. I'm 6' and thought the larger Husky frame was pretty good. But when I bought my Gas Gas I never really got that cramped small feeling you get while on some other bikes. One thing I had to do with the Husky is add over an inch under the bars to get it to feel right while standing. Although the Gasser was a smaller frame I haven't added anything under the bars...The ergos are just right for me.

DRZMC 02-15-2011 09:17 AM

Hi I am also 6' 4" and my nephew is 6' 7" I have a 07 250 and my nephew has my old 03 250. All I did to these bike's was change the tripple clamp so I could adjust the bars forward.And put the Moose foot pegs on that lower the pegs down and back a 1/2 inch.Cant say that I feel cramped but then I have been on a GasGas since 06 so it feels perfect to me.Now if you want to feel cramped try out a 1987 XR 250.

waycrazy 02-15-2011 11:13 AM

I am 6' and don't feel cramped on my EC300 . All though a taller seat is in the works.

Richard 02-15-2011 08:05 PM

Thank you

Thank you for your replies... Didn't expect so many so soon. This is a great forum and encourages me to get the gas gas even more!!

john01 02-15-2011 09:10 PM

Richard get one you can make them roomier with a tall seat, slightly lower pegs, and higher bars in the forward position. They are more than worth the personal set up cost. BTW you are right this is a great forum, welcome.

bukwheat 02-16-2011 07:25 AM

just a little enticement...

Here is a pic of mine with a tall seat installed....
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/pic...6&pictureid=49

fastisbetter 02-16-2011 02:49 PM

I found some pegs that locate 1/2 inch back from original, don't quote me but I think it was denniskirk.com

Eric K 02-17-2011 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am 6'1" with long arms.

I have tried moving pegs down & back (lowboy), a taller seat, moving bars up and moving bars forward.

Moving the pegs down & back has 2 issues...
Your pegs and feet hit way more stuff on the trail.
The footpegs do not fold up as far resulting in more footpeg damage.

I installed a Guts tall seat. It reduced how cramped my legs are when seated. It also made it much easier to move from seated to standing.

Moving the bars up puts me too vertical when standing up. It gets me out of the attack position.

Moving the bars way forward (1.5") is by far the best improvement to keep me in the attack position and balanced when standing up. I did this by making some aluminum extension mounts.

I made extensions that bolted in the stock bar mount holes in the triple clamps. The extensions had a forward hole in which I installed the bar mounts. The extensions were made of 7076-T6 aluminum bar stock 0.5 inch thick by 1.2 inch width. They are very stout.

Bryan 02-17-2011 09:11 AM

I'm 6-2 and have an '01 EC300. I got the BRP triple clamp that moved the bars forward about 1.5" and up about the same. I also installed the fastway foot pegs.

Between the two it is perfect. I ride about 1/2 and 1/2 seated and standing. One thing you may need to do is to have the suspension re-sprung for your weight. That will make a big difference too.

husley 02-23-2011 08:18 AM

yes

Just rode for the first time after the OEM foot peg mod (down and back). It helped a lot but it is not quite there... not sure what I am going to do but it just needs one more find adjustment.........what ever that is. Might move the bars forward if I can, have a GPR Damper.

I'm almost 6 2"

john01 02-23-2011 08:45 AM

Eric nice work. I wonder why some fab company doesn't make and sell something like that.

jwcjr 02-24-2011 07:57 PM

I have the tall seat and low pegs. Makes the bike very close to a Husky.